What is the "best" Vodka and Olives for Martini's | FerrariChat

What is the "best" Vodka and Olives for Martini's

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by peterp, Jul 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I would like to get opinions about the best vodka and best olives for martinis.

As a non-expert, my personal preference on vodka is something like Ketel One (which has a bit of a bite to it) over something like Grey Goose (which is a bit too smooth for my taste).

For olives, I usually grab whatever looks best when I'm in the market, but I would really like to know what the "ultimate martini olive" is (if there is one).

2. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Try Tito's or Deep Eddie's.

Both from Texas (Coincidence) but both very clean and good.

No nothing about Olives as I do not do Martini's.

But Vodka Sours-Yes!!

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    My wife and several friends were dedicated Ketel One and Grey Goose drinkers and they ALL have happily switched to Tito's. Try Sonoma brand Olives

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Vox or Ketel 1

5. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm a purist when it comes to martini olives (and most other things)...what you want are PITTED "Queen" (=large) olives. No god-damn pimentos, anchovies, garlic, blue cheese or almonds in the olives, please! And use a high quality dry vermouth (sparingly)...I prefer Noilly Prat.

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    If you like Ketel One then Tito's will be too smooth for you. Try Belvedere. I like blue-cheese stuffed olives when I have a martini.

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    don't forget the orange bitters in gin or vodka martini.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Tried almost everything, Chopin (potato based) was smoothest and best tasting.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thank you. Many don't know the origin of the martini.

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I suppose olives stuffed with Spam would not technically qualify as "purist" either :)

This is the first I've heard of orange bitters. Will have to give it a try.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There's a lot of bs out there, but the martini came from the manhattan. Yeah, a chick drink, imagine that. Of course, the real masters of the universe don't drink gin martinis anymore. They just gulp down frozen vodka. :)

12. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Huh? Manhattan is a chick drink? Are you thinking Cosmopolitan instead? A Vodka 'martini' (sic) is a chick drink compared to the Manhattans I drink.

I think the sequence is Manhattan > Martinez > Martini. I think Gin was sweet when the Martinez was created...it became Martini when 'dry' gin was used. 'London Dry Gin' is a phrase you see today.

13. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm with Steve R...nothing chick about a well-crafted Manhattan...all booze, no fillers, just whiskey, sweet vermouth and a dash of Angostura bitters. Two will mellow you out but good, three will knock you out.

14. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    From a REAL chick:

I like a martini
    Two at the most.
    At three, I'm under the table.
    With four, I'm under my host.

- Dorothy Parker

15. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    :) Martinis were gin when Parker was holding court, yah?

16. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Steve. Yes, and often made with a sweeter gin like Old Tom. This is all open to debate, but early classic martini were 3 to 4 parts gin to vermouth and the dash or two of bitters helped cut the sweetness. As tastes moved toward drier martini (less vermouth) the essential addition of orange bitters was forgotten.
    In the 70's and 80's we used to have a drink now and then in the old Algonquin Hotel bar, where the same funky overstuffed furniture had accommodated Dorothy's rear end decades earlier.

17. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    We, too, have been to the Algonquin a few times!

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're probably right on the Cosmo. You see, where I come from anything other than ice makes a drink a chick drink. :)

Great stuff.

Now, you're talking. Despite my crack about chick drinks, a real martini made with Indian gin (juniper berries), a couple of shakes of Noilly Prat vermouth, and dash or two of orange bitters, served straight up in a frozen martini glass and three olives (I like jalapeno or blue cheese) is pretty damn good. If you're sitting on the deck, watching the sun set, with the angled light bouncing off the glinted water, those first few sips start hinting of those winds of the old days when, well, when you used to do those things you don't do no more. You know, the promise of feeling good and it's Saturday night.

Damn, I'm getting thirsty.

19. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Crystal Head, or Grey Goose for me. Any Queen Size with pimento for me.

20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not a big martini drinker myself. But years back was visiting my uncle. We were enjoying a drink or two one evening and I told him I'd get him a drink. He then informed me how to make "his" proper vodka martini. He said to open the bottle of vermouth, wave the cap over his glass then fill with vodka. Spear a couple olives and he was good. ( It might have been gin though, I don't remember). I do love either gin or vodka with lime and a splash of tonic though.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Tito's for everything and anything.

(How is a spirit made from corn, and not potatoes, a vodka? I dunno, but it's great!)

Matt

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Tito's is outstanding and 1/2 the cost of Goose. I love blue cheese stuffed olives but the trick is to stuff your own. Most that come in a jar are terrible - I've throw plenty of $8 jars in the trash after a near vomit experience :)

23. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is my drink: Stoli on the rocks, stuff your own olives with fresh gorgonzola NOT blue cheese. Enjoy!

24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I agree, I love Tito's. But it's the smoothest vodka out there. The OP was looking for a vodka with a "bite" to it. As I recommended Belvedere is a good vodka with a kick. That stuff is like gasoline!

DIY blue cheese stuffed olives sounds interesting. :)

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Lombardi Family Gorgonzola, distributed by Igor -- oh my God! (Sweet and sharp.)