Ceviche | FerrariChat

Ceviche

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Texas Forever, Jul 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Any good recipes? Also, being a conch, I love lime juice.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Conch? As in from Key West?

Anyway, I have not made ceviche in a long while, but this is the recipe closest to what I did. I like having several seafood items, like red snapper with shrimp and squid. Lightly pickled red onions are a good go with.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/classic-peruvian-style-fish-ceviche-recipe.html

I also like a little heat to go with my ceviche. So, throw in minced jalapenos, with enough seeds and membranes removed to suit your heat tolerance. Post pics!

T

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I was on a motu in Tahiti and saw some native fisherman sitting on the beach with a bag of limes. They had just caught some conch and were "marinating" it a squeeze at a time for lunch.

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yep, USNA 1952

Thanks

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cool beans, now if I can find some conch in Texas. :)

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Was either Tony Bourdain or some such show. They were in Chile, IIRC. Did exactly that. Fresh fish, right from the boat. Squirt on lime juice. Straight into mouth. Mmmmmm. The key to good ceviche is fresh seafood, and you're not getting any fresher than that.

Try Central Market. If any place in Texas has conch, that's where I would look...T

7. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    wife uses plenty of lime tomato juice and beer i believe and of course fresh seafood she is from mexico serves it with chips

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Here is my version:

Hamachi ( you could use tuna if you like ) diced into 1/4 inch dice - 1lb - you want the fish thick enough that it does not get totally rubbery... but thin enough to absorb the juices.
    4 shallots - fine dice
    1 garlic clove - minced
    1 mango - fine dice
    6 limes - grate the skin - and then juice & strain the pulp.
    4 hot house tomatoes - chopped mashed and drained... all you want is the juice ( I dry the rest in the oven for tomato powder)
    1 bunch Cilantro rough chopped
    1 bunch chives - fine chopped
    1 small chili serrano - minced - no seeds. lf you like milder - roast - remove skin and seeds.
    dash of cumin
    salt & pepper to taste

avocado
    Micro greens - sprouts
    lotus root - blanched.

I prep up the fish first - rinse and dry well, then cut and keep cold.

mix up herbs and shallots, garlic and mango & Serano to taste. let sit room temp for 10 min.
    mash up tomatoes - strain well - takes about 15 - 20 min. cool down the juice to cold ... you can even puree the pulp ( no skins) in a food processor then strain - this gives you the max volume ... if you like tomato flavor...

Grate the limes - try not to get the white part... only green.

juice the limes - press the pulp well. chill the juice.

Assemble:

in cold bowl... mix in the fish, herbs and shallot garlic mixture
    then add in tomato juice and lime juice - You have to balance the acidity here with what you like best... lime or tomato. toss the fish gently - add in the chili and cumin to taste. salt & pepper ( like sea salt ) let this rest for 5-10 min in the fridge before you eat.

for service... in a martini glass put a peeled 1/2 avocado on top of a micro sprout bed... and top with good helping of ceviche and finish with lime zest & perhaps some left over chopped herbs.

OR... this looks much more cool... Follow the above, but in stead of avocado & martini glass- get some fresh blanched Lotus root. and cut it into 1/8 inch rounds - corn starch -then tempura batter fry up and serve 3 consecutive rings on a plate.. large, med, small and then dribble ceviche across the 3 Lotus roots and sprinkle with chopped herbs, sea salt and then tomato dust... Looks very cool on a long rectangular plate.
    I would also dribble some very good evoo...just a few traces up and down the plate.

TOMATO DUST:
    To make the tomato dust. Take the pulp from the tomatoes - separate the skins as much as you can... on a large dinner plate covered with plastic wrap and parchment - spray the parchment with olive oil or canola oil, then spread out the tomato skins and pulp into a very thin layer. ( use an off set spatula) then microwave on HI for 4-5 min at a time. depending on the power of your microwave ... what you are looking for is the pulp drying out and getting crispy... some will burn but that is ok as long as its not all burnt... then when its all dry- I grind it all up in my herb grinder ( old coffee grinder ) and keep in a Tupperware container with my spices. this will have a very intense tomato flavor ... which goes great on lots of stuff... try iit on pizza right out of the oven..over the cheese!

9. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #9 koisokok, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017