Datil Peppers | FerrariChat

Datil Peppers

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Streetsurfer, Jul 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #1 Streetsurfer, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If I can work out a way to process package and transfer ownership of them safely without getting myself contaminated (cant eat them- leaky gut syndrome/celiac disease) I'd be glad to share them with a few of you who might enjoy them. Can't promise, but the idea has been floating around in my head lately.

Started indoors, re-veg'd and then re-flowered after moving outside this spring. From seed of plant grown in Florida. These are native to the area from early settlers of St. Augustine. I was told they'd be hard to make produce in my clime in IL. I took that as a challenge- this the third or fourth try and finally success. Grdat flavored pepper that is decently hot. Though I've not tried this batch, nor will I be.

Barring any bad juju coming my way, I'll try and work out a plan where I can spread them amongst you fine folks, when they ripen.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #2 tomc, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    ^ Ron... What species of pepper is that?

Always looking for new & different ways to get the wife to eat fish. Last night was fish stew. Cod + mirepoix + rice + yellow miso + fresh corn. Doctor up with Simmer served with store bought garlic bread...T

3. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Moved from the "Whats For Dinner" thread, seemed like it needed it's own thread.

5. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Interesting!! There's a small town in New Mexico called Datil (BTW, down the road from picturesque Pie Town 😀), and so with NM being famous for peppers, I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5! I didn't know they came from Florida. Go Gators!! (Class of '90)

Ron - those links you posted said they were typically harvested this time of year. Are your peppers ready to pick?

T

7. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #7 Streetsurfer, Jul 12, 2016
    I didn't know there was a Daltil N.M. I'll try another camera for a better shot of the plant as more ripen. All green makes poor pics of them out in the sun.
    Only a few of the tiniest peppers have ripened, Tom. I suppose they're a little late from the transplant and relocation. But not too far off. The rest are mostly all in the two-three inch range, it looks like. And new flowers on top are still fruiting and loading up.
    The orange makes for a nice color hot sauce, I thought. If you ever see the Dat'l Do-it sauce in a restaurant's line-up, give it a try. I think you'll be pleased with the flavor. Lisa just told me she had seen it at an Illinois Target as part of a holiday gift set one year.

8. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Somehow did a double post, sorry.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I have a shipping idea. They make 5qt hard plastic coolers and they can be shipped fairly inexpensively. Most grocery stores also have Styrofoam versions. Should be under $10 for the cooler and under $15 for ground shipping.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Abarth? Nice!

Those are small peppers. I was always taught to be afraid of the small peppers. 😬

T

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Those are growing nicely!

I've always used habanero peppers in my chili, so the flavor will be totally masked for something like this.

12. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks for that. I heard you can get dry ice at meijer's but they were out when wife checked.
    The buffalo I bought came in a cardboard box double lined with sections of a pinkish insulation board, sitting atop a dry ice bag. Ice was gone but the meat all still frozen. An igloo ice pak may do in something like the cooler or an insulated box.

Thanks Tom. It's no Ferrari, but I sure enjoy it.
    Those are just the first few "runts". They get better. Fellows I worked with brought in tiny pequin (?) peppers. I think it was working alongside so many generous sharing Mexican and Southwest Texas guys in my career that gave me the love for Mexican fare. That was always some good home cookin'.

Thanks. You could throw them in a cornbread side then. I used to do that.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

In the wiki page that Ron linked, it stated datils were as hot as a habanero, but sweeter and fruitier. I'm guessing the latter two characteristics would make datils less desirable for an application like chili, but probably great in a pico de gallo or salsa to go with seafood or pork.

Amazon sells Datil Do It sauce. Seems like it's got a bit of sweet to go with the heat, with ingredients like ketchup, sugar, molasses, etc...T

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Good thinking. I am not much for corn bread, travesty I know particularly as someone who LOVES to bake, but I do love me some pico de gallo.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

About once a year, the wife gets a hankering for corn bread with her chili, but normally we serve ours with rice or spaghetti (Cincinnati style).

Btw, if you like a spicy habanero-based pico, I've made this & it goes great with fish.

http://artbites.net/recipes/period/modern-and-contemporary/pineapple-habanero-pico-de-gallo/

T

16. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks Tom! I have mine the same way, just over plain saffron rice or on a potato. I'm usually having pasta when I need a break from chili... a break that usually lasts less than a week.

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds interesting. I'm growing a bunch of peppers this year. Seems to be about the only things doing really well in my garden so far. I've got some dragon cayennes (not sure what the dragon part is all about), several jalapeno, and a plant that I have no idea what kind of peppers they are but they started out purple, turned white, and are now turning red and this little plant is LOADED with probably hundreds of these little dudes. If I remember I'll snap a pic and post it.

18. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #18 Streetsurfer, Aug 22, 2016
    Hi guys,

I've picked the first batch of peppers and am ready to send some out if anyone wants to give them a try. I have two packages sent out tonight to two of you. If anyone else wants a handful or two, let me know, and send me a shipping address.

What I am sending is small flat rate boxes with fresh peppers wrapped in newsprint and tissue paper. I read it is one way peppers are shipped on a hot pepper forum. Peppers picked a couple weeks ago survived being left in the sun through the hot days since well enough, so I expect they will survive a few days in the mail. The ones to be sent were just picked this evening.

They were soil grown with no pesticides used, using fish and kelp fertilizers and compost tea for the most part, with a couple waterings with fox farms hydroponic fertilizer during the bloom period.

For this picking, I have enough that four more boxes can be sent, with about two handful of peppers or maybe 15-20 Datil peppers per.

Private message an address, and with my wifes help I can have some more go out on Tuesday.

(I apologize for the sudden return to this without much follow up between then and now. I got hit twice recently by a swarm of yellow jackets, and several times in between those I took single stings. I was feeling poorly for a couple weeks.)

19. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not had much luck with bees it sounds like. Hope you are feeling better!! If it's not too late I'll take some. PM on the way.

20. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks John. I am feeling better. I will pm your tracking info shortly.

21. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I sent the last packages tonight from this harvest, folks. Thanks for accepting the offer, and I hope they enhance your meals. Feel free to share what you thought of the flavor and heat, and what you made with them.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Glad you're feeling better, Ron. Doing a little research in anticipation of my care package.
    😀
    [​IMG]
    Datil is a lot higher on the Scoville scale than I thought.

Wiki says "Datils are similar in strength to habaneros but have a sweeter, fruitier flavor."

Hmm. To the internet!

T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    [​IMG]
    😀😀
    T

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ok. No idea what to do with a datil pepper, so I'm going in with the assumption that their flavor profile is like a habanero. So, starting out with my favorite, easy salsa recipe. Take a can of Dole tropical fruit salad, six peppers. Cut off stems, and be reasonably diligent on removal of membrane & seeds, but not totally OCD. Puree with stick blender. Reduce on stove, slow simmer.

Thus far? Not bad! Good burn. Not crazy. Plays well with fruit. Interestingly, seems to burn at the top of the mouth, less so at the back. We'll see how this salsa matures. When I last did it with habanero peppers, it got hotter the longer it sat. 😬

Thanks, Ron!!

T

[​IMG]

25. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #25 Streetsurfer, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    I didn't know they were that high on the scale. Thanks for that link to the scale. A prior favorite was serrano peppers which are closer to, but hotter than the jalopeno.

As for the datil, I can't seem to come up with a good definition of the fruity taste. I am curious to see how you would describe it. Its not a strong sweet fruit flavor to me, but kind of tropical. I come up with color more as a definition, than taste. ORANGE. Sort of citrusy, sort of mango? Orange in color and flavor just as it is on the spectrum, perhaps a bit farther from a more bitter chlorophyl filled green pepper, than a sweeter red bell pepper is, due to it's lower level of chlorophyl. For some reason, maybe because the taste is subtle, I tend to see it as pigment flavors rather than trying to choose a fruit that it matches. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the pic. I am happy to see the arrived looking good.