Veggie burger that bleeds | FerrariChat

Veggie burger that bleeds

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Aug 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHayzP41CLc[/ame]

Someone in NYC go to Momofuko's and try one!

https://impossiblefoods.com/

Very cool concept. Can't see it replacing smoked beef ribs or braised pork belly anytime soon but for burgers, sure why not.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Honestly, while I'd like to try it, I feel like I wasted 14 minutes of my life.

WHAT THE **** IS IT MADE OUT OF!?!?!?! I understand the molecule "Heme(sp?), but what else? They can't just pull this molecule out of their ass.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interesting. Food & science - me like! I laughed at the YouTube comments about the interviewer's outfit...Her shorts are higher than Cheech and Chong. LOL.

I'm guessing that the low info quotient was due to not wanting to give away trade secrets...T

4. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They can still give basic ingredients, something.

I bet if they said how it was made it would turn out to not be all that special.

5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    +1 on all Tom's comments :)

Yeah the video was too long Jason, but that's kind of how I feel after every episode of Master Chef, Hell's Kitchen etc

Side note: I have the exact same griddle, for pancakes and bacon. Let's see how these things do over fire on a grill!

And what's with the kimchi?! Never had it on a burger and I'm sure it's nice, but for my first taste just some simple cheese and maybe a few sauteed onions. Or bare.

other uses: meatloaf, meatballs, hmmmmm hamburger mac and cheese?

6. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is a veggie burger at a place called Bandera in chicago and it is the best burger ive had, beef or not. its make with beet juice and ground up. it appears, feels and tastes to be rare ground beef and is fantastic.

7. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'm an on and off veg head, but my girlfriend is a full timer ha. She makes these exact burgers, simply amazing.

8. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    its hard for people to understand how good a veggie based burger can be, these are grilled just like regular beef there too. What recipe does she use?

9. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC

It's not for everyone though, and I totally understand that.

I will have to ask her, my guess is she just found a recipe online.

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I like the veg burger at smashburger, it's black bean based I think but doesn't have much of a beef taste or texture.
    There was a restaurant called hard times cafe that served a very tasty veg chili, which had a pretty accurate beef texture.
    If this new stuff really does taste close to beef, and has a close texture at a comparable price the beef industry won't be amused.

Would like to try a veggie burger made with beets. One of my favorite veggies.

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The few times I've gone there, I think about trying that, but I always have to go with the beef option. I guess I could add bacon. LOL.