Tipping at the valet | FerrariChat

Tipping at the valet

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by jolieinc, Aug 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Question when valet parking. Usually they park us in the front so no running but what is a good tip for a Ferrari both at drop off and pick up?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Andrew Jackson is your friend!
    T

3. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    So leave car up front and they let me take my key. Handed the guy $5. I know cheap but I still pay $5 for valet and $5. At pickup again for nothing from the guy but the ticket.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

+ 1. Es verdad !

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Claro que si! 😀 We don't go out often, but when we do, the wife and I tend to frequent the same few places. So, I see the tip as an investment in good service, now and in the future...T

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    No matter what I ALWAYS tip the valet, the pizza guy, the waiter/waitress, the guy who put my tires on at NTB got a nice tip, whoever. Most of these folks work hard and go a good job and they will remember you, I ALWAYS tip if they do their jobs.

7. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    Sorry, just saw this forum. Gonna be first time valeting the Ferrari since I have had it and would like to know the etiquette. Should I tip the guy $20 at drop off and $20 at pick up? Or $20 at pick up only and nothing at drop off. Or $10 each way?

Also, for exotics, what is the etiquette? Do they usually park the car for you, and give you the key or do they keep the key? Or do you park it and take the key or leave the key?

Help please.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ If it's a place I frequent, $20 in and out. Otherwise $10. I keep the keys, park the car myself. Better yet, I sic my wife on them, no one argues with her! 😀
    T

9. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    Wife wins all the time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

20 $ for round trip. I always tip after I see where they put my rig when I leave. I preface this by " I'll take care of you on my way out " look them in the eyes and shake their hand. It's not necessary for me to hold my key.

11. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    I don't tip for parking, particularly if I park it myself or if the valet is already costly ($10+). I'm not in the business of wasting money on absolutely nothing. If I'm going to somewhere fancy I'll take my f150 or beater BMW. I am one of those guys who happens to think valets are completely unnecessary. I'm fully capable of parking my own car. What's next? People who carry us to our seats, help us stuff our food in our mouths, wipe our ass?
    I'll tip up to 20% for great service from a waiter/waitress, and 10% if the service is poor. I only tip for food and the occasional drink.

12. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Working as a valet at the end of high school and first year of college $20 was normal and we'd park it in the lot. Once in a while someone preferred to park it themselves and they'd usually still give us $20. Up front in the fire lane where we'd sometimes get in trouble was $100. Most of the guys working with me were car guys who could drive a stick well, but I'm not sure I'd trust most with a manual. This was Westhampton Beach and Montauk, NY so mostly 'summering' Manhattanites who are known as being some of the better tippers in the country - also this was 2008/2009 for what it's worth.

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I never consider tipping the valet a waste of money , l look at it as helping out in most instances a kid get a leg up. I also let the kid at the grocery store carry my bags out too. I'm fully capable of carrying my own bags but I enjoy putting a smile on the kids face when I hand them a nice tip. My first job was a bag boy at the supermarket when I was 13 and we didn't get paid squat. I've never seen a Brinks truck behind a hearse. :)

14. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Great outlook. To this day I remember the guests who made my day whether it be with a good tip, a kind word or a cold soda.

I also remember the guy who handed me 3 $100 bills. I knew they felt like fresh bills so I looked before tossing them in the bucket. I ran after his car to let him know he'd given me the 3 $100 bills. His response was 'oops' and handed me $2.

15. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    That's wonderful! if they are kids it changes things, although entrusting expensive cars to 18 year olds is not quite my idea of a good time out. Different strokes for different folks. Valet is just one of those jobs I never quite understood the value of. It almost seems like a cover for "we don't really have anything for you to do but we feel bad that you're out of a job so how about we make people hand over their car keys to you so you can pretend to offer a service of value by parking it for them while they anxiously stand around watching as you attempt to shoehorn it in between flanks of equally valuable cars, witnessed by equally anxious owners coming and going". I am by no means a cheap skate. I had a kid carry 20 bags of groceries delivered to my house, into the pantry today. I gave him $40 for about 5 minutes of work. He did something of value to me, and I rewarded him. With valets there's just no value to me and rarely are there kids parking the cars anyway. I'm all for helping kids out but they gotta earn it like I had to.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Maybe because I live in a relatively small town and know the valets I feel comfortable. They never shoehorn in any of my rigs and I've pulled up to the Ritz Carlton in a Buick Roadmaster station wagon beater and found my car parked right up front as I expected it would. I did preface it with " it's a cream puff and there better not be a scratch on it " We all had a good laugh. I handed him a 20 just like I would with my Fcar. Best , Kirk.

17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I use valet a lot because some areas of downtown Vancouver its tough to find good parking. Plus to park myself downtown it costs money. If I use my Ford F150, or my Excursion before it. These vehicles don't fit in some underground lots. Street parking sucks because you have to feed meters, etc. In some areas street parking or lot that I can fit in are a major hike to the place I'm going. Anyway, its just 10 times easier to use valet. My tip is based somewhat on what parking lots charge downtown and then add in a little bonus for convenience. Usually $10 at drop off and $10 on pick up.

18. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    #18 RennSport93, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Before I got a real job in oil&gas, I was a valet for 6 years throughout high school and college. I have a particular hatred for those who don't tip unless valet is mandatory for the event(in which case some may not actually be able to afford it). When I sprint my ass off up to a quarter mile away to give you your car in a timely manner and don't get a tip,I remembered. I make sure that I take the most leisurely stroll down to the lot next time. Even pop in in to the gas station on my way down. I don't believe in harming people's cars or stealing out of them though,my coworkers didn't always share that sentiment though. My best advice to anyone valeting and not tipping-simply don't valet. I've never met a valet that didn't share these thoughts and I've worked with 1,000's of guys and girls.

In the case of a Ferrari, we would only park them out front.Yes,they are pleasant to look at but we are also expecting a Tip for taking the valuable place in front making sure no one gets too close,no door dings,convenience, no valet lot hero's who like to rip donuts in others cars. You get your car how you left it. That peace of mind alone is worth 20-40 to me. It always seemed to be those with the nicest cars who would tip the least/not tip. It was always the old gentleman in the elantra or toyota that would tip generously and actually treat us better than sub humans. Those who were dumb enough to not tip and valet a stick probably had half of their clutch life taken away by the lot guys. They get bored down there. it was very common for one of the non tippers cars to teach 4-5 guys how to drive a stick in a night.

My usually routine in the gallardo or 360,hell even my 95 jeep is 20 bucks in and casually ask the valet what their favorite appetizer is inside as if i'm interested in it myself,then bring it out for them on the way out. After working that miserable job,i can't fathom not tipping.My love of cars(and lack of other opportunities) is the only reason I didn't quit the first time i didn't get a tip after sitting outside in the snow for 2 hours waiting for the last guest to leave.

19. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Kirk,
    Good for you. I feel exactly the same way. I also believe in Khama.
    Good things happen to good people.

20. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    +1