Flemings or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse? | FerrariChat

Flemings or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by ncm6cabrio, Sep 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    I'm curious if there is a clear preference between the two steakhouses. Which do you prefer?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Which city or cities?

I've never been, because I think you can easily outdo them on your own grill, for about a quarter the price. The wife has been, however, on biz trips. Ruth's in New Orleans. Fleming's in Gaslight District, San Diego. Hands down, she thought the Fleming's was better. Her dinner mates agreed. Wife always orders filet mignon. Good luck and post pics!!
    T

3. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    We don't live near a Fleming's, but I've eaten at Ruth's Chris plenty (including the original New Orleans location) and I agree with Tom: I've always been underwhelmed by the flavor-to-dollar cost. Sure, the ambience is nice, but I look at it as going is more for the experience than the actual food. For that reason, we haven't eaten at a Ruth's Chris in probably five or six years. There's just too many other great steakhouses that offer better food for the same or less money.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#5 Cigarzman, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

+ 1 Here in Sarasota we have both. Every Wednesday night is steak night for a group of guys I've been eating with for the last 10 years. We used to go to Flemings until the steaks tasted different about 5 years ago , almost like an Outback steak. For the last 5 years we frequent Ruth's every Wednesday night. Ps the steak to get is the double cut porterhouse ~ 90$ that 2 people can barely finish.

6. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    I'm in the Raleigh NC area. I've been to some great steak houses around the country but not to either of these. I'm trying to decide on a different dinner date for the wife's birthday.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Perhaps Yelp? I find Yelp to be a good option, especially if there are a significant number of reviews.

Sullivan's Steakhouse seems popular. 4 stars. 210 reviews...T

8. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    In Denver, Flemings accepts the Ferrari of Denver White Card, which gets you a table without reservations even on Valentine's Day. Food is good there also, but maybe a little below Ruth Chris.....may depend on location.

9. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I think there are better steak restaurants out there, most are local vs corporate. Comparing these two corporate restaurants, there is no comparison between the two. Here Ruth's Chris is far better. I agree with Cigarzman, Fleming's steak reminded me of Outback last time I was there.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Between the choices - Flemmings. Ruths Chris is just ok... and for chain steak houses I like Mortons... and in Atlanta I like Chops.

FarmerDave likes this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I think Fleming's is wet aged and Ruth's Chris is dry aged. Big difference right there depending on which you prefer.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

There's a Chops here.
    Never been, but I hear great things about them.
    T

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

+1 I hardly order steak out anymore. Now that is relatively easy to get prime beef (Costco) and DFW has a couple of great indy butchers, I can do just as good in my backyard for less $$, less hassle and can drink all the wine with it that I want without having to worry about driving home...T

15. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Here in Chicago, my choice is always Gibsons.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You ever try David Burke's Primehouse? Perhaps the best steak that I've eaten that did not come from my own back yard! And, they'll sell you a couple so that you can take them home and cook on your own grill...T

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Ruth's for me ... was bummed when they closed in Providence. Spicy lobster app rocks, too.

18. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Ruth's Chris used to dry age, but wet age now. I prefer Edwards, and once in a while we take advantage of their 5 for $6 till 7 bar menu. At the location I visit (Edgewater, NJ) the restaurant overlooks the Hudson River with great NYC views, and this deal is a bargain with a million dollar view.

19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'm a fan of Ruth Chris in that, its the best option if you don't know the area well. If its say your first visit or you just moved there. You can't go wrong with Ruth Chris as a go to option when you don't know better! My best example. Is I moved to my parents house in Paradise Valley in my early 20's. I ate out but normal places, nothing fancy. On my birthday I was only there a few months. Didn't know any higher end steak places. So we did Ruth Chris in Scottsdale. Good enough I remember it. Morton's, I didn't know about them. Looking back should have made a whole day or two. Drive the few hours to LA and do Morton's.

20. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    "Wet Age" is a fancy way of saying "we don't do anything."

I stay away from both... quality has dipped and there are a lot of other options in most major cities. My current favorite, behind my own grill, is Kayne Prime in Nashville, TN.

21. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Wife and I went to Ruths Chris in the DC area.

Totally underwhelmed. Capital Grille was better.

But, best steak we've ever had out was at Bern's in Tampa.

22. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My wife and I had the total opposite experience in King of Prussia. Tried CG twice and each time the service and food were blah whereas Ruth's Chris we've had good luck there. Give a huge shout out to our waiter George, last I heard he was now the manager st the Philly location, he was simply amazing with my parents who were both in poor health at the time. If I recall correctly I gave him like a 40-50% tip.
    I will recommend CG for lunch. Their lunch menu and cooking for the Plate menu has always been spot on and when it wasn't (steak sandwich was under cooked med rare instead of med well) they gave us a free dessert or didnt charge us for our 1 glass of wine and beer.

23. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah its definitely funny how the experience can change from location to location. Every restaurant is different, no matter how much effort they make to have everything be identical.

The service was solid at RC, but for the price, we expected better meat.

24. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Ruth's is ok, but not worthy of the price from my experience. Better than outback or other cheap chains, but not better than my own grill. Want to try Bern's in Tampa. Lots of good reviews. In Orlando, Charlie's has a really good steak. As well as "A Land Remembered" in the Rosen.

25. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ruth's here is hit or miss, not consistent at all. Stopped going because of the price when it was off, hurt. If it was a good night, price was worth it - however that was rare. Rare. LOL. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.