french press coffee tips? | FerrariChat

french press coffee tips?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Edward 96GTS, Dec 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    going from filter drip coffee pot to french press using peets coffee. first round was very very strong. second round was bitter. any techniques to using a french press?
    i was surprised to taste such a dramatic change in the flavir.
    tia

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Don't overextract. That's where bitterness crashes the party.

If too strong, instead of adding more hot water to Press & overextracting - top up mug with hot water for something akin to an Americano and/or add warmed, if not frothed milk. You can use French Press to froth milk.

Mrs Santa got me an Aeropress, which is kickass. Couple that with Lavazza Crema e Gusto & lots will get done.

In either case, coffee grounds will be used again to lower soil ph.

- via iPhone

3. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Don't use boiling hot water and don't let it steep too long.

4. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    I'd also look into getting an eva solo and chemex.....as well as better coffee petes is really terrible low end coffee. They've purchased intelligentsia but haven't ruined them (yet but that day is coming for the sell outs) and intelligentsias single origins are still really good. Cultivar coffee is also very good.

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Lots to discuss here.

First is the bean you're using. Everyone has a flavor profile they prefer, it takes a lot of experimentation. One thing is for sure, freshest is best. I'd guess the Peets you're trying now is months old. Do a search on local coffee roasters and try a few out. Or you can go online, a few of my favorites are Anodyne Coffee in Milwaukee, Temple Coffee in Sacramento and Intelligentsia in Chicago. I'm getting ready to place an order with CremaBean in Naperville, IL. Whomever I order from, I typically have the vendor grind what I use for my French Press. Tell them you need a French Press #9 grind.

Second is the French Press itself. There are a bunch of units on the market, most are glass. I like the steel Espro presses the best. They have the best filter and also hold the right amount of heat to make a really good cup of coffee.

Then there are steps to ensure you're getting the best coffee from your setup. I boil a kettle of water. I fill the French Press container with the boiling water and swirl it for a bit to bring it to temperature, then discard the water. I add the appropriate amount of coffee and then hot water, and stir. I put the filter on and let it steep 3 minutes. Push the plunger to filter, then pour.

One thing to remember with coffee, everything is interrelated. The bean, the grind, the age, how much coffee, the temperature, etc. Try to control all the variables so you can focus on one. It will be a learning process but it will go quickly.

Another pointer--don't worry about sludge (the grinds and residue that get around the filter into your cup).

In my opinion, a French Press can deliver the "perfect" cup of coffee.

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I don't know about "perfect," but I've never had a cup of coffee that tastes better than one properly done with a French press, unless perhaps with the old percolator over the woodstove at my family's cabin - but that had to be freshly purchased 8 O'Clock coffee bought & ground that day or the day before at the local A&P :)

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I just had a nice chat with the proprietor of CremaBean in Naperville, IL. She's very knowledgable and gave me some great recommendations on which of her coffees to try. I placed an order and will report back on the Costa Rican City roast she recommended for my French Press.

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree, best to stay away from any roaster that does not date their packaging.