Bought a capon - now what? | FerrariChat

Bought a capon - now what?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by tomc, Feb 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Impulse purchased a capon at Kroger yesterday. A bit under 8 lbs.

Any recipe suggestions, go-withs, wine pairings from the F-chat culinary brain trust?

Should I be thinking more like turkey than chicken in flavor? Preparation?

Thus far, I've seen a recipe from Jacques Pepin that calls for tarragon, cognac and mushroom sauce. Am trying to avoid recipes that call for stuffing the bird.

The little guy, or he'd be a guy if he wasn't fixed (), is on the fridge thawing, so I got a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

T

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I surely wouldn't suggest it will be more like turkey vs chicken in flavor. Here in the USA, it is darn hard to say, but likely the most noticeable difference may be a somewhat higher fat content, which would/will be conducive to roasting or rotisserie cooking.

Me? I'd probably chuck it on a spit/rotisserie, with butter, salt, pepper, & herbs/garlic shoved under the skin & some fragrant herbs and/or lemon crammed in the cavity as it is cooking.

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Never thought about it. I knew what capons were but never have eaten or seen them in the store. Interesting that Kroger had it.

Below is what Wiki has to say about the taste and such. Oh and if you found a recipe from one of my favorite celeb chef's Jasques Pepin I'd suggest trying it out. :) Keep us posted.

"The lack of sex hormones results in meat that is less gamey in taste. Capon meat is also more moist, tender and flavorful than that of a cockerel or a hen, which is due not only to the hormonal differences during the capon's development but also because capons are not as active as roosters, which makes their meat more tender and fatty"

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thank you. The Pepin recipe I saw had him flipping the bird (do to speak!) a few times, so rotisserie is a great idea. I always worry about too high heat on my rotisserie (attached to a charcoal grill), so I'll need to make sure I keep the temps from getting too high. Or, perhaps do what I've done a few times in the past, start on rotisserie at high temp To crisp up skin. Get a little smokiness. Then finish in oven at lower temp to cook through fully. Hmm. Thanks, you've given me some good ideas.
    T

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks, Jdubbya! I need tarragon and herbes de Provence. Need lemons and fresh garlic too. Oh yeah, cognac! Decided to keep little guy in the freezer as I have biz over next few days and wanted to gather more intel and think a bit about sides.

T

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I've said this many times, but it is strange how words change when they cross the ocean:
    in "French of France", a rôtisserie is a place: a restaurant where you eat mainly roasted meat. The device onto which you put the bird to cook it while spinning slowly is a rôtissoire...
    Capon is Chapon, so not much difference here.

Rgds

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The intricacies of language(s) can be both amazing and confounding. For most things of a culinary nature? We should probably bow to the French. :)

Will be watching to see what becomes of the bird in question!

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow. Now the pressure is on!

I do indeed bow to the French! France is a foodie's paradise, grumpy Parisians notwithstanding! ;) My wife and I went for our honeymoon, and it was awesome. Pretty countryside, friendly people (including many, but not all, Parisians). I would love to walk the aisles of Dehillerin, enjoy the small town cafes and markets again when life's obligations permit it.

Nerofer's post makes sense, since the "sserie" ending is seen in names like patisserie and brasserie. Heck. Now I am starving. The target is Sunday or perhaps early next week when weather and work permit. Fingers crossed!

I was thinking haricot verts (green beans here in Texas!) to accompany. I'd like to do a white truffle risotto, but don't want to try pulling off two difficult (for my skill level) things at once. I'm not a good culinary multi-tasker.

Any thoughts on a wine selection?

T

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Of course a rôtisserie is a place where you eat (a restaurant for roasted meat, in other words)
    There is, for instance, a fine, unpretentious one in Bayonne, that I discovered about 30 years ago, “La rôtisserie du Roy Léon”…

LA ROTISSERIE ROY LEON: Restaurant Bayonne - 64100

(exactly my kind of place, I like simple restaurants with very good food, and that place was exactly that, 30 years ago)

Well, now as for Chapon and wine: the Chapon is poultry, and white poultry at that; white poultry in itself is a rather delicate meat, so first principle is that the great, strong red wines are to be excluded as a rule (This for white poultry meat; we are not talking “black poultry meat” here such as duck which, in contrast accepts well any matching with strong reds).

Then, as often with white poultry, the wine choice could vary in a rather large range of reds and whites, usually depending on the stuffing or sauce, and on your own personal taste for either classical matches, or more audacious ones.
    With a Chapon stuffed with chestnuts or mushrooms, the classical, no-risk-taken would be a red Saumur-Champigny.
    But a slightly tannic red Bourgogne (pinot noir will do when not too strong) would be slightly more audacious but could work very well: Mercurey, Côte de Beaune...
    If stuffed with mushrooms, and depending on the sauce, a great Meursault could be an original and very refined white alternative (but good Meursaults are not kind on the wallet, usually).
    If you cook it with “citronnelle and lait de coco” (lemongrass/citronella and coco milk), or orange cream, a white burgundy will usually work well.
    Champagne, if “winery” (“vineux”) will also work fine.

A classical, but original recipe is the “Chapon with crayfish” (“Chapon aux écrevisses”) which marries well with a Pessac-Leognan Blanc

Recette de chapon et bouquets d'écrevisses - Cuisine et Vins de France

(You could find some ideas for other recipes for “Chapon” on the right of the page accessed by the link above)

And yes, parisians are usually grumpy; but we have some acceptable places to eat nevertheless; today's lunch will be "confit de canard et pommes de terre sautées" with my brother; wine very probably a Cahors.
    Rgds

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm waiting for some warmer weather up here too. I finally bought a ring and "rôtissoire" for my Weber. Can't wait to do a chicken or two up.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

You'll enjoy it. It's the best accessory for a grill IMO. Hope your weather turns fine soon.
    T

13. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I use my rotisserie quite a bit. Whole chickens never come out better than on a spit. I recently did a pork loin that came out amazing as well. It was the moistest pork loin I've ever made.

Mark

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Side items. Gotten out of the way ahead of time.

[​IMG]
    Sauteed crimini. Salt, pepper, herbes de Provence. Garlic. Butter. Cream.

Brussel sprouts. Not pictured. Same treatment.

[​IMG]
    Green beans. As above.

T

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #16 tomc, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    [​IMG]

The star of the show, after trusting, before adding garlic powder, herbes de provence, tarragon (dried). Put herbs and sliced lemon in the cavity.

[​IMG]
    A few seconds after going on the rotissoire!

Now it's time to kick back, eat a little salad (simple iceberg with artichoke heart vinaigrette), and spoil the dog.

Depending on temp and timing, I'll either do it all outside our finish in the oven.

T

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Assistant chef.

[​IMG]

T

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Into the oven for final monitoring of internal temp.

[​IMG]

350 F until close to 165 F, then crank up to 450 F for final skin crispification (I just made that word up!)

T

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Outta the oven, ready to rest for 15 mins.

[​IMG]

No pictures of the cut product. I stink at poultry carvery. Even with my fancy barbecue-slicing knife.

[​IMG]

T

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    [​IMG]
    Plated. For you breast men (you know who you are!).

Turned out great IMO. Brussel sprouts were the star. Oh, by the way, forgot to mention that they were sauteed in bacon grease!
    Wife (a native Texan) went back for a second helping!

Capon was definitely more moist & tender than your ordinary chicken.

[​IMG]
    "Hey, thanks, pop, but I'm gonna need a bigger piece of whatever the heck that was!"

Wine - didn't get a chance to goo to the wine store, so we settled for a Kendall Jackson chardonnay. Bleh.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm stuffed. Need a nap!

T

20. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like it turned out very well.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. I think so. The Kendall Jackson chardonnay was a dud. Musta been something wrong. It's going back today. But, the sides were well done, if I say so myself. I added herbes de Provence, garlic and a little tarragon to each, and that worked well with the capon. The smell of the garlic, tarragon and herbes on the capon as it was rotating on the rotissoire was mouth watering. We were blessed with an absolutely gorgeous day and night last night, so we hung out back while the capon was on the spit.

If I or anyone else does this, I'd suggest taking off the bird a tad earlier, and doing more high temp (450 F) finish in the oven l. Skin was crispy, but coulda been crispier! But, any more time at that temp, and it'd been overcooked.

T

22. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Oooh, that looked delicious! Love the looks of the sides, too - especially that big slug of mushrooms. :)

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. The mushrooms were good. I followed Jacques Pepin's lead. No cognac, though. Didn't have any.

For the brussel sprouts, I went with this Rachael Ray recipe since it was easy, allowing me more time to babysit the bird.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-recipe?ref=amp

T