"peasant" food | FerrariChat

"peasant" food

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by It's Ross, May 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    What is your favorite?
    Kraut Fleckerl comes to mind for me. Finely sliced cabbage and onions slowly cooked(caramelized I suppose) in lots of butter mixed with "Fleckerl" noodles and seasoned with paprika. I eat myself into a food coma every time my wife makes this.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My favorite is anything my grandma made me as a child. A fave - chicken leg soup - two drumsticks, water, spices, onions, celery and carrots diced, simmer until cooked through. Throw in some rice at the end.

YouTube has a great series, Great Depression Cooking, a lot of the dishes are similar to those my grandma cooked during the Depression. Pasta and peas is a great peasant meal.

T

3. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Pozole, a staple of kitchen crews in Mexican restaurants they almost never have on the menu for the public. Boiled hominy in chicken or pork broth, with shredded or cubed pork in the broth. Sliced radish, chopped white onion, and dry cilantro or basil on the side, served with a couple hot fresh corn tortillas. Living in San Diego, I can get it in a few spots, and occasionally convince the waitress to give me a bowl from the staff meal if the time of day is right (and the tip is appropriate). Hearty, but not heavy.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ That's a great call. Couple of good "hole in the wall" Mexican joints do a good pozole here. Menudo too...T

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My father made Bigos a lot when we were kids. Basically that plus sausage. Ate it until it was alllll gone! :)

He also made Cholent. Very hearty.

6. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    that's easy for me Polenta!
    my Nonna & Mom used to make it a lot in the winter months with mushrooms, or just some parmigiano cheese..and with the left over they would spread it in a pan...put it in the fridge and then they would pan fry it crispy for the morning...
    now you see polenta on restaurant menus...too funny..

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Do you know potatoes came from the Incas? Don't ever play me in Trivial Pursuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Well, OK! That could be fun though. I knew they came from the New World, but not South America.
    T