Kentucky Fried Chicken | FerrariChat

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nader, May 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #1 Nader, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not embarrassed to say, I love it! Original recipe breast and wing, that magical mashed potato and gravy combination, and that buttery, flaky biscuit. Yeah, I feel a little guilty later, and then I can't stop drinking water, but it's worth it once in a while.

Sadly, or perhaps fortunately, the rest of my family won't eat it. So when they are off to my in-laws, and I'm left to my own devices, this is what happens, dinner and a show:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rdefabri likes this.
  2. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #2 Nader, May 26, 2017
  3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    this is hilarious!!!!! thanks for sharing

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The last time I ate KFC (1980's/small town in TN), a huge roach arrived at my table while I was eating. The roach turned on the radar and scanned for food. I immediately dropped the chicken in the box and never came back. This was during the lunch hour. Imagine that place after business hours - during the night.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nader... That's awesome. Did you take the Ferrari?

I used to prefer Extra Crispy, then I moved to the South, and that ruined me for chain store fried chicken. Can't recall the last time I ate at KFC but the wife and I did check out the original location in Corbin, Kentucky.

T

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Always ask for the chicken in the kettle..The ones that are not out yet..FRESH!

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I love fried chicken; KFC, Popeye's, Church's (are they still around?) and Walmart's Rotisserie too!

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Church's - think so. Haven't eaten at one in a zillion years though.

Memphis has a couple of places that make awesome fried chicken. And, if you're ever in Boyce, Louisiana (on road from Dallas to New Orleans), Uncle Albert's is the place to try. Three piece, dark meat, spicy.

T

9. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Yes we have all of them, not sure about the Walmart's Rotisserie! :)

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Good stuff! Haven't had it in a looong time.

11. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #11 Nader, May 26, 2017
    Hi Tom! Of course I took the Ferrari. I can pull it off without feeling too self-conscious, because I drive a 348. There are well-optioned mini-vans more costly than my car, rolling through that drive-thru. I had to forego a drink, as the 348 lacks cup holders. In fact, none of my 5 cars with manual transmissions have cup holders.

Here's a peek at the 348 interior as you'll see it pop up in some of my driver's view photos from my Ferrari outings. The car is sandwiched between a couple of my trucks. Because I have what some might describe as a rednecky side. This Ferrari really doesn't mind the low life. If it does, it hasn't told me yet!

Frozenguy likes this.
  12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nicely done. I don't go very often but when I do it's usually a breast-n-wing meal with coleslaw and mac and cheese. The mac and cheese is not very good to be honest but there's still something I like about it. I generally do extra crispy though.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Big chicken fan myself! I love Kentucky Fried Chicken as well, but some of the best I ever had was at Lady and Sons in Savannah, GA.

Finger lickin' good!!

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've become a bit obsessed with Fried Chicken over the past couple of years. But its so hard to find good versions and its so bad for me, that I haven't eaten it more than once every couple of months. I still remember when I became a fan. I was sitting on a USair flight to Spain in the Charlotte airport while delayed. I was with my GF at the time and she was an even bigger foodie than me (we were going on a food trip to europe). Given the delay, she jumps out of our seats and de-boards and comes back with some chicken from some store in the airport. We sat there with the wine they give you on the plane and ate dinner during the delay. She introduced me to using hot sauce on fried chicken (I'd never seen it). Wow! Game changer. She also introduced me to Cholula, a life-changing condiment :)

Interestingly given this thread timing, earlier this week I had just searched out the one and only Fried Chicken place in Krakow (where I'm living part of the year now) because I was jonesing so bad for some chicken.

Going tomorrow...I'll try to remember to take pics and post impressions here.

WRT to the OP, I actually don't love KFC. Actually haven't had it in years. It was never crunchy enough for me (I've always suspected its the pressure cooking vs. open frying). Sure, I tried the extra crispy, but found the proportions wrong and the flavor lacking.

That said, I've discovered Popeye's over the past couple of years and crave it and get it every month or two. That stuff is legit!

I also have gone to NOLA twice for eating and always get chicken at 1-2 places where there. Its well known, but imho for good reason...I think Willie Mae's chicken is great (at least it has been on the two times I've had it). Mother's was "meh". Dookie chase's was very good.

I will give KFC a shot again...afterall, they are fricken' everywhere in Europe. There is one 500 meters from me as I type this. And too many to count spread around Krakow. The Polish folks here love KFC and Mickey D's...they are more dense here than in the USA.

15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    35 minute tram ride to get to Felix chicken today. It's the home of Polands best fried chicken (only non-KFC option?).

It was actually pretty good. Good crunch. Good seasoning. Chicken was very moist and juicy and cooked to proper temp even down at the bone. Only negative was the crispy skin/coating kept coming off the meat.

Still...I'd say better than I recall KFC being.

I am going to hit KFC in a couple of weeks to get a fresh comparison.

Pic below (yeah, I brought my own hot sauce!)

[​IMG]

16. Kingvogue

Kingvogue Karting

May 9, 2014
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Howard
    If you truly love fried chicken and your in Kansas City, you have to try Strouds pan fried, nothing on the planet compairs

17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Thanks for the recommendation, there will be a food trip to KC in my future and I'll add it to the list. Will be a BBQ and steak focused trip - isn't KC famous for burnt ends, or am I mixing it up with someplace else?

18. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    KFC...I love the stuff but eat it once a year. Something that troubled me about it was the memory of going to the marina as a young lad, dad takes us waterskiing, mom shows up at the dock/slip for lunch with a bucket, eat some, throw a half eaten drumstick in the water, it goes under the dock and emits an oil "bloom" for all that Saturday and the following Sunday. That spoke volumes. Big Crunch sandwich is good hang over food.

19. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Had KFC in 2003.

...I'm still trying to digest it.

killer58 likes this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #20 tomc, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

Everyone says that. My wife & I ate at Strouds about a dozen years ago. Must have been an off night. It was fair to middling fried chicken at best IMO.

Gus' - the original in Mason, Tennessee - was the best I've had. They're a bit of a chain now. We went to the original Mason restaurant before it burnt down.
    T

21. Kingvogue

Kingvogue Karting

May 9, 2014
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Howard
    I find myself in KC for business once a month have been going for many years, try to hit Strouds a few times a year, guess I've been lucky, never had a bad meal yet. As for BBQ, the hottest place in KC and my favorite is Joe's, formally known as Oklahoma Joe's. Just google and read the reviews, incredible. As for Gus's, I like it as well but find Strouds less greasy.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Been to Oklahoma Joe's. It definitely lives up to the hype. In fact, all the famous KC que joints that we've been to - Joe's, Arthur Bryant, Gates - have been worth the drive.
    T

23. Miatafanatic77

BANNED

Jun 8, 2017
    USA, Florida
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was in Kansas. Strouds pan fried is the best! You should try it.

24. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #24 Nader, Jun 30, 2017
    Ooooh... look what came in the mail today! What's it going to be this time? Choices... choices... Can't decide right now. What I do know is that the Ferrari is snorting in excitement at the thought of ripping through that drive-thru again!

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That 10 piece bucket looks like a deal!
    T