How important is the feedback from a F1 driver? | FerrariChat

How important is the feedback from a F1 driver?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Mar 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Much has been said about the monosyllabic Fin driving for Ferrari and that this will be the Achilles heel of the team because the engineers won't get the feedback they used to get from Schumacher.

So I was wondering how important feedback really is and what it consists of in this day and age: All cars have computer telemetry that give instant feedback about a myriad of parameters while the driver is doing his laps. Today's sensors "feel" every moment what the car is doing, the sensors register an oversteer or understeer and the data is transmitted back to the pits instantly along with reliable GPS data.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure you can imagine all the data collecting that's going on. So I'm asking myself, what can a driver actually tell an engineer that is important feedback for the development of the car?

Whether a change "feels" right, they can see on the lap times. And what the car does is in the telemetry.

To me it sounds like the most important factor from a car development perspective is that the driver is consistent and fast: He has to take the car to the limit every time he goes out and be consistent in that. The rest sounds like it is up to the engineers to figure out.

Your thoughts?

PS: And please don't turn this into yet another Kimi vs Massa thread. We plowed that ground ad nauseam.

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I would say driver feedback is next to worthless.
    Data aquisition remembers all. Drivers I know actually change their styles to mirror data on where they are driving slow or fast according to logged data.
    The Mark Donohue days are over.
    The fact is if you want to be fast in the lower formulas, getting a data logging car and comparing ones styles to faster drivers is where its at.
    As an example F Continentals are fast.
    On paper, Tube F Mazdas should be slower, yet are almost always faster because most have Data logging. Drivers learn and compare to squeeze every bit of speed from that info to go faster.
    The horse is now following the cart.

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Telemetry can make a car "generic quick". But it takes feedback to make the car suit the driver.

Every driver has his quirks. Some are hard on tires, some work the brakes too much, some push the revs higher. Making an F1 car suit the driver's individual quirks will make the car/driver combination faster than putting every driver into a generic "spec" car.

Otherwise you're in Formula Atlantic.

Whatever makes Kimi quick is something he does with the car. Can the car stand up to it? Does even Kimi know what it is? And could that have been the reason for Kimi's poor "luck" with McLarens?

I suspect one of the reasons that Schumi went so long without a mechanical failure is that he drove like a robot -- every corner the same each time, lap after lap. Once you dial the car in for that, it doesn't break from it.

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I think that driver feedback still has a place in Formula 1 racing. Telemetry and lap data can only go so far. I still think that it takes at least some input on what the driver actually feels in the car that the track data isn't going to be able to communicate to the engineers.

5. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    To take it to the next level, you really need the driver to be able to communicate and tell the engineers not only what is wrong, but how to make it better.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hi,

My take is that you've got to have a driver who can reliably, and within very few laps, be able to take the car to the limit, but *not* over it [You don't last in F1 with a reputation as a wrecker, as we know]

*How* they reach the 'limit' (aka lap time) varies from lap to lap, and any car setup changes between runs don't change things consistently around the lap - Sure, they have the 'raw data', but I like to believe the driver is still the guy saying "doing x should have been an improvement in corner y, but I screwed up" for example....

However, I think the *real* driver feedback comes in those epic 'driver debrief' sessions. - They're looking at printouts/displays/who knows what (ie, drowning in data) with details from the session - The good ones know how to analyze it and improve - The 'bad' ones get confused and drown in the data.....

As usual, just my 02c,
    Cheers,
    an

7. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I remember reading that they get many many gigs, possibly terabytes of data from each test session. So much information, and that it is pretty worthless if they do not know what to look for. I think that is where good feedback comes in.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I think Michael Schumacher showed that drvier input is quite important. The car today still has remnents of his influence.

9. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Why don't we ask a current driver and engineer?

10. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Tell that to Schumi.

11. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Give me a second while I call Jean Todt. He said that the feedback is very important, and that Michael is very good at giving feedback and thats what made him the best. :)

12. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Not at most tracks. Check the results from this years run off's or any of the previous three or four years worth of data from Mid Ohio. The FC's were a full 2.5 seconds per lap faster. The fastest qualifying FM in 2005 would have placed 13th on the grid for FC that same year. Look at lap times from Watkins Glen Nationals, Lime Rock or VIR and it's the same. Fastest FC's were still 2 to 3 seconds a lap faster over the past few years.

Andreas: You hit the nail on the head. The value of driver feedback is that the driver can give INPUT about how to INCREASE the limits of the car. Any set up has a 100% usable limit (not the driver but the car). Telemetry, even as advanced as F1 can only show if the driver has reached the car's limit.

It CAN'T make recommendations on how to improve and increase that limit. The driver can make "subjective" recommendations on how to increase the limit on a particular corner. Some driver's at the F1 level are very good at this other's don't even come close.

Second, telemetry can't show how a car will wear tires out over the course of a given period. For example, the perfect set up at the beginning of a stint may mean fastest lap times at the onset, but toward the end of the stint a driver may loose valuable time once the tires are on the downward slope of wear.

Perfect case in point is the 03 season where Rubens sometimes had better setups and was setting faster laps early on in his stints but then would be badly behind in terms of lap times on one set of tires. Neither telemetry nor Ruben's knowledge clould keep him ahead of MS on the same set of tires on the same stint. Some of this was put down to varying fuel loads, but Badoer in an interview back in 03 said something to the effect that MS would pick a better set up in tesing that was a tenth or two off Ruben's pace at the onset but over the same period for the full stint MS was quicker overall by a few seconds because his setup was better for the entire stint.

The idea that driver input isn't valueable at the F1 level is rubbish. It's even more valuable at this level because the difference between 1st and 5th is so close.

13. Bukem

Bukem Karting

Sep 27, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ben M
    Insight and feedback of true quality - along with the abilty to extract performance from the car - is what separates good drivers from great drivers.

The key point about telemetry and data is that it can only tell you 'what'. The driver, who is most closely linked to the machine can look through this data and add the important 'why'. 'What' without 'why' is next to useless. Context and interpretation is everything.

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Driver feeback is still vitally important. They are the only person that really knows what the car is doing. When a computer drives the car then you no longer need that driver feeback. I think what has changed is that the driver now has less input in how to fix whatever problems the car might have. Back in the day the driver might suggest a change to be made to the car and the team would go in that direction. I think that has gone away and this might be the reason why guys like Kimi won't have too much of a problem. All they have to do is tell the team what the car is doing, that's pretty much all, if Ferrari ever loses it's direction setupwise however, they might be in deep trouble.

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Telemetry shows you what the car is doing and what the driver is doing at any given point on the track. It does not show you if your wires are lose or if the car is lose if the car has over or understeer. It will show you speeds, shocks, brakes, gas, Gs, etc.
    Telemetry is very good and very important but it is useless unless you get the drivers input as to what the car is doing that then you can look at telemetry and make adjustments to the car.

In Daytona we had a pro-driver, Mike Johnson running in one of our GrandAM cars. His driver feedback was excellent. We were talking for 10-15min after a session. Sometimes longer than he was actually in the car. Based on his input and explanations I went to our data guy and we looked at the car data. From there we made adjustments to the setup. Tried different things and bingo...solved his bus-stop problem.

To give you an idea, telemetry will tell you where a braking point is that you use in a corner. You then overlay that to another car and driver and see where that guy is braking in the same corner, how much more speed he carries etc. From that you conclude YOU can go deeper into a corner. Well this is where telemetry ends. You try that and find out that your brakes are not the same as the other car and therefore you ...bang hit the wall but by simple telemetry you should have been able.

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think there is a lot more to telemetry than what you are describing, particularly in F1: Just think about the car stabilization software that catches a slide and the like. That tells me, that the sensors do know when a car starts under or oversteer.

I remember reading an interview with Jackie Stewart when he had his own time (like 10 years ago?) and that they were feeding LIVE race car telemetry data to their engineering shop in England where a car on hydraulics mimicked what the car was doing on the track. And just to analyze how it behaved.

While I agree with a lot what was said in this thread, I'm still looking for somebody who can actually tell me what good driver feedback looks like.

Picking the ideal setup, race strategy, making suggestions on how to improve the car and changing the manettino settings during a lap is a different story. There one needs the like of a Schumacher to make a difference, no question.

But I'm still wondering what a driver can tell his racing engineer that this guy doesn't already know simply by looking at the telemetry.

17. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

This pretty much sums it all up.

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I think that maybe the biggest roll in feedback is in determining the driver's set-up preferences. With different driving styles, they need to interpret the feedback and data and tailor to best suit their abilities. I think that's why telemetry will always be considered "binary" or "generic". Because until the cars are completely automated, all the data in the world still has to be processed and put into action by a human being.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think nothing beats human feedback...

20. petri

petri Rookie

Feb 19, 2006
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Petri Ilmarinen
    The part of the communication between the engineer and driver is the way how driver can drive. I don't mean now the talent, but rather style:
    to get accurate, comparable logging data, you have to be very systematic driver: as to say, to be able to do precisely same driving result lap after lap.
    There is no point if you are terribly fast, but each lap you do is different than other. This is where it comes why Schumacher was excellent. Kimi can do that one as well. The way he does it differs from Michaels way, but the tolerance when driving fast precisely identical laps one after another is the part of the development talent. Which obviously differs from racing talent. These skills can of course be included to the same person. He is the one we should call professional.
    True is, that if you can do systematically and then after discussion with engineer change systematically your lap routing and rhythm, engineer can help. There is no point of wandering allowed.

21. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Andreas:
    it is the age old question if a robot can ever "feel". All the information you can get will not tell you how the driver "feels" the car. That is something only a human can tell you. If it were simple as telemetry all we have to do is eliminate the drivers in the first place and let the engeneers run the cars from the computer behind the pit wall. :)

To tell you on the problem I had in Daytona.
    All the telemetry could not tell you there was a problem in that turn. It did not feel right for the driver. Of course you can get all the information from sensors but what do those actually tell you? Nothing. You need the input of the driver.

If you go on the Shell website you will find an interview with the race engineers. It actually tells you a lot about how much and what the driver tells them and what they do with the information.

22. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I don't think it matters if you don't care whether you win or not.

One person I would like to have answer this question: Michael Schmacher.

23. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Telemetry will tell you which way to go in adjusting a car or driving style if you let it.
    As far as car set up with an infinate number of adjustments as in a modern professional formula car, good data analized by a good engineer is paramount.
    A driver can tell if he/she likes more oversteer, wing, whatever. But the data will tell you if that made the car/you faster and hopefully why.
    I would be interested to see the results of a modern formula car set up with driver feedback only.

24. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I will always remember an article reveiwing the driving style of Jody Schecter with others and I believe one of those was Mark Donohue; the great feedback/analysis expert. They measured corner entrance, midpoint , and exit speeds. They tracked turn-in, apex, and exit points (the line) The final ANALYSIS was that JSs speed (faster) was because of a different driving style.
    Within a year all competive drivers adapted to that style.