Why did Schumacher retire anyway? | FerrariChat

Why did Schumacher retire anyway?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Dec 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    looks like he's going into overdrive next season too. which brings me to the question, why did he even retire anyways?

Michael Schumacher may return to the wheel of Ferrari's Formula One cars in the New Year, a Ferrari spokesman admitted on Thursday.

At Barcelona last month, the seven time world champion tested in earnest for the first time since retiring as a racer in 2006.

He has now re-appeared at Jerez this week, first on Thursday in front of an extraordinarily large crowd of 17,000. His programme on Friday will close the 2007 F1 test year.

"It may well be that Michael will sit in the car again in 2008," the German language newspaper Bild quotes a Ferrari spokesman as saying.

Some sections of the media billed Thursday's action at Jerez as a 'duel' between Schumacher and F1's rookie superstar Lewis Hamilton, because the talented pair's racing careers did not overlap.

Hamilton emerged with the quicker time by about half a second, but the variable factors in play - including trials of regulations for both 2008 and 2009 - make such comparisons virtually meaningless.

2. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    anyways trying to compare times from winter tests is meaningless, since they are all trying stuff and have so many different settings, they are not here to be the fastet of the day.

Concerning Schumi, after winning everything, and earned a fortune; he has nothing left to prove.
    He may now prefer live with his family and see his kids growing up.
    I'd like to see him on the track again thought :(

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Brian, we must all learn that F1 has spin doctors just like the politicians we have all grown to hate. Someone will make off the cuff comments just to get attention or publicity, if only for themselves or at the instruction of a corporate PR department. Michael retired mostly due to family pressure, both wife and father. He will continue to get his periodic race car orgasms by testing new Ferrari programs, but the only racing he will do is in go karts. Even the rumor of a DTM ride no longer seems likely.

But I would love to see him in an F430GT at LeMans, or have him convince Ferrari that they should build a new sports racing prototype, but that is only my wishfull thinking. When I see Santa next week, I will make that request.

4. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    Aren't you guys glad that Michael's gone? When he was driving the sport was incredibly boring. Besides hasn't he been around long enough?

I guess those of you who love watching Ferrari win will disagree.

5. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    It would be great to have Ferrari back at LeMans with a true Prototype. Wish full thinking. I miss them Ferrari vs Ford Gt and Ferrari 512 vs Porsche 917 battles.

6. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    To answer the question this post poses, go back to Schumacher's announcement and what happened when he finished the race. It has always been clear to me that he was told that Raikkonen would be signed (or already had been), that Michael could come back if he wanted to, and that Massa would lose his seat if he did. Again, go over the films, if available, and try to come to any other conclusion.

7. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Brian,

I do not remember if you posted on the thread I started about this link: http://www.f1i.com/content/view/6909/1/
    It goes through a very interesting history of events leading up to announcement. After reading that story I believe that MS was not really decided but LdM really pushed too hard for an answer so Ldm could make sure Ferrari was covered for the future.

8. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks Tony. i read that thing a few times already, and from what i can conclude is, i think we'll all know the truth in the coming years. it's hard to believe that he was pushed out, considering that the Scuderia is what it is today mainly because of his hard work and all those talented individuals around him.

at the same time, he's father and wife were both relieve as hell, his father in particular post Brazil i remember.

9. Hugh

Hugh Rookie

Oct 15, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    He was quietly asked to because all the guy knows how to do is cheat.

10. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Troll?

12. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    must be. what a statement he made :D

13. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This got to be the stupidest most shallow statement I ever read on F-chat.

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    This is true. Michael asked to wait until Brazil to make his final decision. Luca said no way, the team needed to know by Monza to ba able to hire a replacement if so needed.

That is one of Luca's decisions I too would have made. The team is far more important than one driver, even Michael. Just as the WCC is far more important than the WDC.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Haven't I seen your name on those 105.9 FM billboards here in south Florida?

Hugh Jazz??

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    ROTFL :D

One of the cleaverest posts on Fchat. May the Horse be with you, Ron. ;)

17. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I do hope MS writes an autobiography before he is too old to remember and tells everyone what really happened through out his career. The only real question mark in my mind is MS mistake in Monaco. I thought OK, he tried to get cute, it did not work and he got punished. But Massa screwed up that same corner and Kimi also! Now I am willing to give MS the benefit of the doubt about the Monaco parking job. Maybe I am too naive :)

18. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    fail.

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Thanks guy.

Actually, that is a real billboard for a south Florida radio station. Along with Lou Stolz, and Anita Mann. They look like huge temporary nametags like you get at conventions:

Hello My Name Is:
    Hugh Jazz

20. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Hugh Jazz looks like this only bigger..... ( I )

Wonder if Rob will add this to our Fchat smiley collection? ;)

May the horse be with you.

21. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    Why do I think so? Did he really have anything else to prove? He probably broke every record possible!

22. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    except for most starts ;)

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    *IF* Barrichello gets a seat for 08, he will finally clinch that title from Patrese.

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He published his autobiography, although it doesn't really tell you the inside story.

Wow, nothing else comes to mind? Like Jerez against Villeneuve, Spa against DC, Monaco tunnel against JPM, Monaco finish line against Rubens, Nuerburgring start against his brother, Adelaide against Hill, USGP finish with Rubens, USGP 05 against Rubens. I got an endless list of questions and those are just F1. He did the Monaco parking trick in his previous leagues as well.

25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    if? i think he'll surely start.