MASSA DOESN'T SUCK | FerrariChat

MASSA DOESN'T SUCK

Discussion in 'F1' started by DEAF1, Oct 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DEAF1

DEAF1 Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Anaheim Hills OC
    Well boys,,,,, it appears to to be crystal clear that MASSA doesn't suck anymore. In fact he is doing a pretty darn good job. He will be keeping his seat for next year for sure.. He could have passed the almighty Zoe today if the emperor in red would have allowed it!!

Good on ya Felipe!!!! Keep kickin A$$ and takin names....

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Im a fan but he is quite lucky to be staying. You are also very brave for this thread :) Im pleased but was prepared for him to be replaced.

Lets hope this level of performance continues and begins much earlier next season !!!

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Massa gets very little return on investment for Ferrari in the last few seasons. And he is not getting any younger. It is about time he is replaced. I also cannot believe the team is convinced to keep him after the final two races. Yes, he did well, but it was about time.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 to all points.

From the Autosport story;

Forza Felipe!

Cheers,
    Ian

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I heard the radio when the team told Phil he was following Fred too closely. He backed off immediately.

Could he have passed Fred? We'll never know.

Looks like the team may have told Phil to start driving better or he was out. His performance has improved over the last two races for some reason. ;)

6. DEAF1

DEAF1 Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Anaheim Hills OC

Very brave indeed.... I stay awake at night worrying about what all the LAZY BOY (AKA ARMCHAIR) F1 pilots are going to say... Ha Ha,,,, NOT!

Keep kickin A$$ Mr Massa!!!

Out....

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The trouble is, on the face of it, it's taken Massa 15 races out of a 20 race series to understand the car and the tyres! (better late than never I guess!)

However, I think the reality goes a bit deeper than Massa simply taking this long to understand the car and tyres and I'm not convinced that we've heard/seen the whole story about Massa's performance in the 2012 season!

As I've posted in the other Massa thread, a motor-racing industry source has suggested to Me that Massa has spent the majority of this season doing "testing" and "donkey work" during races to assist Alonso's WDC effort, including in-race tyre wear "testing".

If this is the case, then it would make sense that now Ferrari is not bringing that many major upgrades to races, and the team now understands the tyres, Massa is suddenly free to race normally and his pace is suddenly better.

It would also suit Ferrari better now to have Massa racing against Webber/Vettel/Hamilton and Kimi rather than di Resta/Perez/Hulkenberg/Schumacher etc., etc., as this would better serve Alonso's WDC bid than testing tyre wear etc.

It could be the case that Massa's poor start to the season may not have been down to him, and some of us (Myself included at times!), could have misjudged him because weren't aware of all the facts!

(There again, it could just be the case that he sucked up until recent races and has recently realised that, if he wants to remain in F1, then he's needed to pull his finger out and get on with it! ;) )

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ highly, highly unlikely scenario. tire testing during quali?! lol
    ed

10. DF1

Given the lack of testing its certainly plausible to some degree.

11. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    He had been cutting the gap to Alonso by up to 1.5s a lap right before that, thats way way more than needed for a pass in F1 these days, especially with DRS.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He was closing in on Alonso at a rate of 1.4 to 1.5 seconds a lap...consistently! surely could have. Then he could have attempted a move on Webber, had that failed, back off in the last lap and let Alonso take 3rd again...

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Why has alonso been a slow "closer"? Tires?
    Ed

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    that strategy sounds good but I think the RB boys were coasting to the end and would have just sped up if Felipe was coming after them

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We may never know for sure but I highly doubt he could have beaten Alonso.
    I suspect that Alonso was driving conservatively to save his tires for a late race challenge and had Phil's pace easily.
    Not to take anything away from Massa though. He had a smart, fast race and finished ahead of every car that other than the RBs which are in a class of their own and Alonso who is in a class of his own.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Alonso had tyre issues. There was no way either Ferrari was going to catch the fncken fast RB's. I was hoping that Vettel's tyres would fail and he would spin harmlessly to stop ... that was the only way he was going to be beaten.

Lets face it, even if Massa had caught the RB's they would have just let him past, so he would not have put any pressure on them. Ferrari can't catch them for the WCC and Massa does not matter in the WDC, thus the best thing he could do was follow Alonso home.
    Pete

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What better way to welcome Phil back than send him that message?
    Tells him he's fast and goes some way to undoing that "do you understand" message.
    I seriously doubt that he would have taken it on himself to pass Alonso even if he could. Not with a contract looming.

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've read somewhere that the Pirelli tires are quite inconsistent in performance, even between sets. So maybe Ferrari accidentally gave Massa Alonso's tires this race? ;)

Kidding aside, Massa did a fine job and I hope Alonso isn't cracking under pressure. He's been known to do that.

19. DF1

The first sort of crack was in Japan after pushing Kimi out and leaving no room, yet practically yelling about others not leaving room in previous races. FA knows deep in his soul he is on the backfoot unless Ferrari bring some new life into the speed of this car. FA has pushed this pony as far as it can go on his own. The team need to provide him some new speed.

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While I wouldn't call it "cracking" Fernando realizes that he has to make things happen if he's going to challenge the resurgent RBs.

21. DF1

Agree'd.

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    What? The guy has no problem with pressure and he's proved that ever since holding off MS for the win at Imola while was hounding him in 2005.

Please don't call 2010 "cracking under pressure."

23. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    During the race when FM was so much faster than FA, I was thinking that the team should have let FM go. I am not saying it would have been possible but FM could have pressured the RBs. Sebs guys were obviously very concerned about their tyres towards the end of the race, so maybe FM could have even won. Yes, I know it is a long shot. But... had FM done the near impossible and passed both RBs. Assuming everything else stayed the same with Seb finishing 2nd and FA finishing 4th... no podium for FA but only 2pts back of Seb instead of 6.

Yes, I realize this is all hypothetical. Just playing a little devil's advocate.

For the record and to address the OT, I do not think Massa sucks but I would like Ferrari to put a fresh face in the second seat for next year. Personally, I'd take the Hulk.

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Massa is not as bad as some arm chair quarterbacks have been suggesting. His car has been the mule for testing new parts that would go on Fred's car in the near future. Massa has served his purpose well.

Interesting how he kept up with Alonso all day yesterday.

25. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Massa had a very severe head injury. Perhaps it just took time to,1-recover physically from it,2-recover mentally from it. He definitly seems like the old Massa now.