Teams and upgrades for China, RB are up to something | FerrariChat

Teams and upgrades for China, RB are up to something

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Apr 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Various sources Spanish and Italian are now claiming Red Bull tested something with their rear wing at Idiada yesterday or earlier today on RB9 for about an hour.

My guess is they were testing their DRD at Idiada in preparation for the long straight at China where such a device could be of massive benefit.

Of course this all could shoot them directly in the foot if they find their system is activiting and partially stalling the rear wing when they absolutely wouldn't prefer it, such as sector 2.

From Italian press:

" From the information that I received this morning from Spain shows that the Red Bull team went to the track IDIADA to check new aerodynamic package.'s Likely that the main task of which was brought before the engineers team from Milton Keynes is to test a new system of suppressive pressure of the rear wing. So far, none of the teams have decided to use it mainly due to the characteristics of the object, which took place the first two eliminations this season.

As suggested by the Italian press in the coming days on the track IDIADA should also receive the Ferrari team.

and: F1 | La Red Bull a sorpresa in un test ad Idiada

Idiada, April 5, 2013 - According to our informants who live in the area of ​​the circuit Idiada, this morning would be going on an aerodynamic test the Red Bull team.

Obviously you do not know details, nor the name of the pilots involved in the test, much less what technical solutions would be in the study.

It 'conceivable, however, that the main straight Idiada Red Bull is trying the new DRD. In fact, several times during the winter tests had been tried before being shelved, but according to the team of Milton Keynes, the device would be able to see right in China.

We will inform you as soon as possible for further details

Toto Wolf advised the German media Mercedes are bringing a sizeable aero package to China as well.

2. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  3. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Why Webber hasn't resigned is a mystery to me. It's Seb's team and will be as long as he's there. Why Mark hasn't accepted that or moved on seems a bit delusional.

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, it's Seb's team. But for the past few years they have had the best car. There is no way RB will let Webber win the championship while Seb is still there, but perhaps he is looking at it as his best opportunity to win a few races.

6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hang on a minute. I just 'heard' what I 'said' there.

He might have thought it was his best chance to win a few races... but clearly SV doesn't think so.

7. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If I were Webber I would do everything I could to make sure Seb doesn't win another title, crash him out, knock him out unconscious, something. I know it sounds rediculous but Webber knows at this point he's never going to be allowed to win a title and even winning races is now in question. It's stupid, so he is authorized to fight equally stupid. What's the point of racing is undoubtedly the question Mark Webber has to ask himself before every race prior to the end of the season, because he's clearly not allowed to win.

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    this was my thought as well. all the major teams have a lead driver (except arguably mclaren now) so webber figured RB was the best places to rack up a bunch of wins. It's a shame i'd love to see him leave and drive for mclaren or lotus.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mark's too classy to do that. I would race him hard to the end and F any team orders such as "maintain position" and "turn the engine down". It is 10/10ths, cojones to the wall racing from now on if I'm Webber. Clean and very hard!

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Popcorn ready. If Mark still has some gonads between his legs he will punt Vettel into the wall or at least run him off the circuit.

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

You should not, *ever* **** with your teammate - Seb learnt this the hard way last time out and will hopefully be a little more "circumspect" next time he & Mark are close.

I too don't believe he'll put him in the wall, but I can see him leaving no quarter.... As noted, "popcorn at the ready"...... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

12. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Oh yes.

In other news, I heard Mclaren conducted a straight-line test last week and everyone will be bringing their DRD for testing at least during FP1 and possible use after.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Interesting, thanks.

I suspect a few others have also done some straight line testing ahead of this W/E.

Seems they're all concluding there's something to be gained but not how to "control" the effect thus far.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The insidious and dangerous side of team orders.

Or rather, ignoring team orders. By all accounts RB's standing order is to hold position relative to your team mate after the final pit stop. Seb violated that and can not expect Mark to respect team orders in the future. This does not mean that he has license to crash him out.

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Screw class. gloves should be off.

I want Mark to do something so spectacular that we will remember it for the ages. Would make an epic script for Rush 2! teeehehehe

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 This weekend it will all be about the fallout from Sepang.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The people have spoken

;)

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I believe this has been discussed, but yes, no one disagrees that Vettel is the better driver.

I read a report somewhere that indicated at some point during their Sepang duel Webber was advised not to push too hard because he was low on fuel and his tires were shot. That message was broadcasted just before the turn Vettel finally completed his pass on Webber, which I might add, if you watch the replay (as Sky did) shows Webber leaving a huge gap for Vettel to cruise through.

I would like to think with all of Webber's experience, he left the door open intentionally, probably because he was afraid of wrecking if he continued to race with Vettel. This part is just speculation.

19. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    That statement implies Mark respected team orders in the past . ;)

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It wasn't intended to.
    How McLaren managed to handle two star drivers seems more and more impressive. IMO RB's poor management skills are the team's biggest weakness.

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Mark has respected them by eventually following them. e.g. Brazil.

He was firmly reminded not to race Vettel and he didn't after the message was repeated.

22. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    I have respected Mark Webber in the past, my gut tells me I am going to absolutely love him for what he may do for the balance of the season......race on gents.

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

CH doesn't exactly come out of this mess smelling of roses either; "Ahh, come on Seb, this is silly" is not the comms I'd have expected from a team principal.

Seb & crazy Helmut are bigger than the team? They'll learn the hard way that's never, ever, the case.

Adrian also seems ominously quiet on the matter. IMO he knows the damage that's been done - A poisonous garage will never work.

Cheers,
    Ian

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Adrian has been around too long and knows better than to even comment.

RB management is showing their lack of experience. You can get away with this sort of foolishness when you're winning but when the on track luck runs out the cracks will show.