2014 Pecking Order - Predictions | FerrariChat

2014 Pecking Order - Predictions

Discussion in 'F1' started by TifosiUSA, Oct 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Can anyone stop the Red Bull Juggernaut? Which engine will be the best? Will the cars be faster? Slower? Will reliability be a big factor?

Personally, I think 2014 is the year of Ferrari v. Mercedes. KERS/ERS is more important than ever, and Red Bull has a terrible track record with their KERS systems. Ferrari and Merc have been working on and perfecting KERS for the longest. I wouldn't bet against Vettel, but winning 5 titles in a row is almost impossible. Ferrari and Mercedes clearly have stronger driver pairings than Red Bull and you could argue that they are hungrier. Merc had a breakout 2013, I think it's Ferrari's turn next year.

I think 2014 will be less about power and more about reliability and fuel economy. With these cars being SO sensitive to weight and being heavier than ever next year, the ability to carry less fuel will be a huge advantage. More important than horsepower, IMO. A lighter fuel load not only makes the car quicker but makes it easier on the tires as well - a key element.

Reliability will also be a major factor. Renault power plants had major issues in the switch to V8s and I have never viewed their reliability to be as good as Merc or Ferrari. Red Bull cannot win races if the car is broken...and given Newey's propensity to design cars in a manner that strains mechanical elements to the breaking point I predict some struggles.

I think it will be a 4 way fight for the WDC between the Ferrari and Merc drivers. Could be an epic season. Your thoughts?

2. SDC

SDC Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2006
    Just a few things to consider when thinking of the order next year:
    1) Ferrari in the past never do well after an overhaul of the technical rules.
    2) Mercedes, Renault and Honda (2015) have a lot of knowledge developing similar engines.
    3) Ferrari, Alonso and LDM are really frustrated with the recent draught of wins and titles.
    4) McLaren are masters at electronics. The ECUs come from them. 2014 will be all about making the car work with the ECUs
    5) Éric Boullier is running a tight ship at Lotus and they may be able to do well depending on their ability to fill Kimi's old seat and that of the few engineers leaving the team
    6) Vettel is hungry for more and Adrian is always at his best when the technical rules are overhauled.

Pecking Order is a total guess:
    1) Red Bull
    2) McLaren
    3) Lotus
    4) Force India
    5) Mercedes
    6) Sauber
    7) Williams
    8) Ferrari

Its going to be another long hard year for Ferrari fans in 2014

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Anyone's list is a WAG.

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Most of the teams are suggesting RB will still be strong.

And why not? Include the AN factor in your thinking, of all of the teams, they are the best at design.

Assuming Renault continues to be the best engine builder.

Ferrari will be at the bottom of the first tier teams, or at the top of the second tier teams. According to my Italian friends, Italian team, run by Italians, looks good, sounds good, but it is like getting second day pasta.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    1: Red Bull
    2: Ferrari (byrne has been working full steam on it since feb)
    3: a very close Mercedes
    4: Mclaren to have improved
    5: Force India
    6: Lotus (They lost a LOT of people, are running on fumes still and have no big sponsor signed)
    7: Torro Rosso close to Lotus. Vergne is not the fastests (as we've seen this year) and Kvyat has a learning curve somewhat.
    8: Williams to make a small improvement but doubt they'll be anywhere significant. They had an OK car in 2009 even with the DDD and been on a downhill slope ever since.
    9&10: Caterham and Marussia. In no order I care about.

6. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I like your list Bas but you forgot Sauber. I'd put them 5th if Hulk stays.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You're right! I would put them also from 5th to about 7th, battling mostly with Force India and Lotus.

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes it's somewhere near the mark, and a safe bet, but all I'am hoping for is for one team not bothered who in particular, can take the fight to the Bulls and nail them to the wall...:)

BTW great avatar ..;)

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ferrari in 8th? I highly doubt that. Their car could be utter crap and they would still finish in the top 5 in the WCC, remember who their drivers are.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, I play (but not taking any bets on this):

1) Ferrari
    2) Mercedes
    3) McLaren
    4) Sauber
    5) Red Bull
    6) Renault
    7) Force India
    8) Williams
    9) Marussia
    10) Caterham

Call it wishful thinking.

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Andreas, Sauber ahead of Redbull?

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It's difficult to suggest there will be anything to pick from between Red Bull, MB, and Ferrari next year. All will be well prepared with different strong suits. MB proved this year that when they push development that they can beat Red Bull. MB also have 2 more carbon fiber cookers than anyone else on the field now, that's big.

Ferrari is my dark horse, we don't know the value of their wind tunnel data yet as it's still quite new and Ferrari's updates have been hit or miss. RB and MB seem to nail updates so they're definitely my top two going in with the edge going to MB due to their massive engine development program that literally dwarfs any other teams.

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Im in for fun :) My top 5 for 2014 -

Mercedes
    Mclaren
    Red Bull
    Ferrari
    Lotus

14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I know he said no bets, but I'd put a case of beer on that one!!

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm hoping the Renault engines will DNF

16. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thats the only hope, because I reckon Newey has already sorted his side and it will be a flyer.

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I agree with OP, fuel conservation will be a dominant factor and one Ferrari has never done very well.

Hopefully they will have improved but history has a bad habit of repeating itself and Honda has led the way on this, so Ferrari you need to win in 2014 otherwise when Honda turn up in 2015 you will be screwed.

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    They made an excellent and very driveable V8 which is without a doubt considered the most driveable tameable motor, but they didn't have a winner of an engine for a long time prior to that and their building team is half the size of Ferrari's and Mercedes'.

19. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I figured you'd like that one better ;)

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Except in 1961 with the introduction of the new 1.5 litre rule.
    Only Ferrari had an engine ready for the new formula. The British constructors resisted the change and were left running F2 engines. Coventry-Climax brought out its V8 one year later.
    Ferrari won all the race this season, with Phil Hill winning the championship.

Except in 1966 with the introduction of the new 3 litre rule.
    Once again, Ferrari was the only constructor with an engine ready for this new formula. It was a short-stroke endurance engine maybe. It was a winning car.
    If the team had kept Surtees, he probably would have won the championship.
    Instead, there was a divorce mid-season, and the Brit moved to Cooper-Maserati where he scored another success and finished runner-up in the WDC.

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Unless I'm mistaken, Renault struggled a bit after the V8 engine freeze and asking the FIA for permission to make tweaks for more HP

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup.

Vettel would already have 5 titles if the Renault engines hadn't let go in 2009

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    interesting to read thru the predictions...fuel & noise seems to be the issue at the moment.
    Pity these so called experts never thought a little more about it back then, perhaps we give them to much credit for being intelligent!!

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually Bernie had a fit over a year ago when he heard the new Ferrari engine for the first time on the test stand.

25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Pecking order now seems to be;

MB

Cans, Fezza, Williams, Mclaren, Force
    Toro

Sauber

Fauxtus