Would Massa have been any worse (or better) than Kimi? | FerrariChat

Would Massa have been any worse (or better) than Kimi?

Discussion in 'F1' started by bobzdar, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Kimi's performance in Aus was thoroughly underwhelming imo, at least compared to Alonso. This really seems to underscore how good Alonso has been the last few years given that Kimi's performance in Aus is pretty much exactly what we'd expect from Massa in the other Ferrari in years past. Have we really been underestimating Alonso (and Massa for that matter) seeing how much slower Kimi was in the same machinery all weekend? Watching Kimi go backwards in the field at the end of the race while Alonso tried to chase down Button in 4th (or 3rd as it turns out) was almost exactly like watching Massa the last few years.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Watching Kimi this weekend was an enormous disappointment BUT his car had issues from Friday onward. It's way too early to start this discussion. Kimi is a proven winner and it a higher caliber driver than massa (who is very good and probably under appreciated in his own right).

3. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Driver to driver no, but the williams car definitely has the pace on the fezzas at this moment by the looks of it.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  5. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1 Worse.

The real concern here is the car, which I fear demonstrated the same old problems with front tire wear. I can only hope that this was a conservative approach adopted by the team to bring both cars home. 5th and 8th (4th and 7th with Ricciardo's unfortunate DQ) isn't even close to getting the job done.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    You cannot tell from one race.

7. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    it's all about the car, put massa in kimi's car it could be probably better or worst nobody knows

depends now how ferrari can improve the situation, they not lacking in talent but lacking a good car

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's probably the car. If Massa wasn't taken out, he'd probably be on the podium.

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Massa had run his course at Ferrari, it was definately time for a change.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Both Ferrari's suffered from electrical issue's (especially Kimi's, according to Domenicalli). On top of that Kimi had an issue with graining front tires.

In the end he finished only 15 seconds behind Alonso. The gap was 5 seconds for most the race until the last round of pitstops when Alonso got a clear road and Kimi had drivers ahead and behind him.

Pitstops with Safety car cost him 1 or 2 places as well as he had to wait behind Alonso.

Was it disappointing? Yes, but all things considered not bad considering his car had issues since Friday, started 12th and had front graining issues.

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Does it really matter? Im a fan of Massa. I like Kimi overall. He is overpaid and was handed a title when the others couldn't get it right. Good for him though and Ferrari. That being said, FA beat Massa and will have zero issues with Kimi.

They made a change of driver. ON a good day now the car is where it was last year if not worse actually. Also they say they are .5 behind Merc. Its a larger gap as the Mercedes was supposedly not pushing that hard in the race after a certain point.

FA stated the electrical issue would not have changed the order of his finish. The car is not that great. Its looks better in FA's hands. No shock there. Kimi is tempermental about set up/steering etc. He is already at a large disadvantage and it will stay that way in my opinion.

If he does better good for him and the team.

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Come on, fiddling with the buttons on your steeringwheel, not paying attention and put the car in the wall? How is that not problematic. How can you shrug that off? I am so done with that 'I don't care about anything'-attitude of Kimi. Care about the mechanics who you just brought another load of work they don't need simply because you weren't doing yours.

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    True.
    At this point the Williams seems to be the faster car but I expect that to change.

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I agree with this as an element of professionalism should be evident in the first race to bring the car home in one piece given the conditions. I like Kimi's attitude up to a certain point then he is simply childish and selfish. Only wishing the world was exactly as he wants it to be vs the effort he must make given the reality of current F1 and its associated corporate stamp. I don't care only goes so far and then you just become annoying.

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The engineers suck. They have the funds, the tools (new wind tunnel) and the drivers.

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Finally someone who watched the race with both eyes....

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, but this exact scenario played out many times over the last few years with Massa. He'd be only a little bit slower (and sometimes in front of Alonso early) and would get caught up in traffic or have some small problem where Alonso wouldn't in the same circumstance and car. Then Alonso would end up on the podium or close to it while Massa would be 6th-10th. They swap drivers and the exact same thing happens. Shines a light on both what Alonso has been able to wrest from an inferior car and the relative capabilities of Massa and Kimi imo.

The difference seems to be that Alonso drives the car how it wants to be driven, while Massa and Kimi need the car to drive the way they want to be competitive. The former is a much rarer talent and is why he always seems to be ahead. I'd expect more of the same this season, lets just hope Kimi doesn't tune out and keeps trying because if he gets the car the way he wants it, I think he can be faster. Problem with that is that unless it's close to or is the fastest car, he can't challenge for a title.

18. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Kimi is hard to read, behind the scenes I reckon he cares deep down.

Massa you can see when he has problems, overall I'll give Kimi the edge over the season to do better than Massa, however right now it's to early to tell.

I just hope Kimi get's a fair chance to shine with equal opportunity to do so as Fred.

Good luck to Massa.

19. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    well said
    saves me some typing ;)

20. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    That is a fair assessment. Of course Kimi is much more involved than he leads us, the public, to believe (I think the 'not caring'-pose is mostly that, a pose), but he seems to be out of his depth when the car isn't to his liking. It just isn't ok for a championdriver to put a car into the wall just because you were fiddling with the steeringwheel on your in lap. It just isn't ok to mess up the braking because of grained tires (not all that uncommon in F1) and loose a position in the process. That's rookie stuff. And it is all the more painfull that the rookies didn't seem to make these kinds of mistakes.

I know it is only the first race, but Kimi really needs to get his act together. Kimi just being Kimi shouldn't be enough for the Scuderia.

21. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Did everyone notice that Kimi's car had the ABSOLUTE WORST brake proportioning balance of anything on the track?

I say let us see him in another few starts...it is not like he has failed to prove himself in previous seasons already.

22. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Exactly. After five races if alonso is clearly always ahead i will reevalute my opinion of kimi as a driver. Until then its way to early to make judgements.

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Well, it is how you set the bar. At Ferrari, the bar is at it's highest. You need to be up there with the Hamiltons, Vettels and Alonso's of this world. And let's be honest, Kimi is not exactly a rookie. I am not really sure why would have to postpone judgment on him.

He came up short in Australia. Perhaps down to the car, or other circumstances beyond his influence, but the fact is, right now, it is not clear whether or not hiring Kimi is an improvement over the last few seasons.

I can only hope both Kimi and Ferrari will raise their game and that in the end, both Kimi and Alonso can say they got the most out of the car. Whether or not that is enough for a title, remains to be seen.

24. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    If "at Ferrari, the bar is at it's highest" - (and I see no reason why it SHOULDN'T be) - then they need to start setting the bar WITH THE CAR.

25. GV27TIFOSI

GV27TIFOSI Karting

Jan 12, 2008
    Peoria, Arizona USA
    Full Name:
    DT
    I am excited for Felipe at Williams, they have definitely upped their game especially with Bottas as well.
    Phil definitely would have found the podium but for being rear ended.
    GV27TIFOSI