US F1 Team | FerrariChat

US F1 Team

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Mar 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Do you guys ever see a day where say FORD or GM would enter F1? Looking at the popularity of the Austin race (assuming it holds with the dreadful changes) you'd think there might be opportunity. You'd think that they could build an engine that would be competetive and lead in the creation of an American F1 team.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No

/ end thread.

Worse than that I can see Renault stopping to make F1 engines and Mercedes too if they win a world championship. Honda is coming back but they have been in and out so many times they could easily say no again.

The problem with using racing for marketing is there's always only one winner and the rest are losers.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

FORD was in F1 for decades as an engine supplier to many winning teams and won many championships (Lotus, McLaren, Brabham, Williams, etc...), using Cosworth-designed engines.
    The Parnelli and Beatrice F1 teams came from the US, but were not successful.
    FORD itself never entered as a team. But it bought the Stewart F1 team, rebadged it Jaguar and withdrew after a couple of years. That team is now RED BULL.

As for GM, they would have a brand problem if they entered F1. GM is unknown in Europe and most of the world. The brand Chevroler is withdrawn from Europe now. GM cars here are Opel on the continent, or Vauxhall in Britain; GM cars in Australia are Holden. So entering a global championship as GM wouldn't bring must return in publicity, I think.

4. cmcclive

cmcclive Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    If GM were to enter F1 it would have to be as Corvette, anything else is ridiculous. And based on my understanding of GMs Euro Structure (4 year old info) Corvette (in Europe) is separate from Chevy.
    That being said, I think Corvette Racing enjoys GT racing as it is much more directly related to the road car.

So, I agree with others that it is not likely to happen. Although 8 years ago GM almost owned FIAT.
    End of Rant.

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Never say never.
    The problem as I see it is that F1 has to become more manufacturer friendly not use them as a leach would use a host to be abandoned.
    If the teams could buy the sport (FOTA) it might make sense one day.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Corvette brand hardly exists in Europe! GM don't sell many Corvettes in Europe.
    Really, it must be a handfull only. In 2013, only 3 Corvettes were sold in UK !!

7. cmcclive

cmcclive Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Corvette is a small volume brand (compared to its parent). If it is not doing well in Europe it would be all the more reason to enter it in more racing leagues, considering it has the handling and performance of the Porsche's it competes against, but at a fraction of the cost (at least over here).

Still don't see F1 as an option, and I guess I am not too surprised to here Europe doesn't take corvette seriously. but Americans don't take (most) British car companies or VW seriously (as in don't view them as serious options compared to the rest of the market).

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I could see Ford coming back as an engine supplier. Not likely, but possible.

GM could enter under the pretense that small turbo hybrid systems in F1 apply to some of the vehicles. Even less likely.

9. SDC

SDC Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2006
    No, the costs are simply too high and there is not enough of a North Amercan fan following!

10. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    USGP attendance would suggest otherwise. F1 fans don't get enough credit in the United States. There are a lot of them.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We do have Corvettes racing here, in British, French, Dutch, Italian, German, Blancpain and Open GT championship. So we know about the Corvette.
    But it's not marketed by GM as it should be. Most Corvettes come in Europe as private imports.
    I never understood that situation since I rate the Corvette very highly, and it's terrific value for money.

12. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As far as F1 and other premier class stuff like MotoGP goes, I think the biggest obstacle to increasing the US fanbase is marketing. I think F1 does a horrible job marketing themselves. It's practically a blackout offseason and very little in between racing.

NASCAR promotes itself day and night, 24/7. Granted it's an American sport, but I feel there is so much untapped potential in the US for both sports. I just think that people don't even know much about it.

I was at a sports bar about 4 years ago and me and my buddies who rode in got them to put the Laguna race on the big projector screen. Every was gumbling... at first. By the end of the race about 100 people were standing around watching the event. No one had ever even seen a MotoGP race there except the guys I rode in with. I bet none of them have seen a single race since.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But how can you sell a series like F1 in the USA when it visits the country only once a year?

The USA have very strong and well organised domestic series, and I don't think motor racing fans there will click on something that is global.

14. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Never say never!

and 50 years ago, Ford almost owned Ferrari.

A few years ago, it was zero times a year. Soon it may be twice a year. If Long Beach comes through again, it will be three times a year. F1 is growing (albeit slowly) a fanbase here in the U.S.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I cannot see a country having more than 2 GPs a year.
    Having said that, Ecclestone acts in mysterious ways sometimes ...

I suppose that US fans could also visit the Canadian GP, and the Mexican GP if it is held again.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Kind of ironic I started this thread.

Looks like a potentially strong US team coming aboard. Not a "factory" team, but Haas maybe be able to bring it.

18. Scuderia-Ferrari

Nov 8, 2011
    I hope and pray gm never gets in F1. Things are bad enough the way it is in F1 now, we don't need the likes of those imbeciles in the sport.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Kind of hard to justify spending 150-200 million a year (more if you want to be properly successful) when more and more people are losing their job in the company.

First things first...get a quick American in F1 and see if the viewings go up significantly or not. Then fix your TV advertising (not 3 laps race, 3 laps adverts, 3 laps race, skip to a different channel because NASCAR is on, try and find it for 40 minutes and the race is over).

It's just a bad idea currently. Best possible thing would be if (big if) HAAS racing does anything good and Chevy just advertises on it.

20. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The thing about a team like Hass is that you gotta think they're going in it with intent on being competetive. I don't think it's another Caterham who show up and go around the track.

The TV coverage is just horrible. I stopped watching it live just so I can fast forward throught the commercials. It's really ridiculous. Also where I'm at, you can't get the race in HD. The channel that covers it doesn't have an HD alternative which really blows.

21. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Also...what I really hope is that they don't go and put a woman in the driver's seat just for exposure and dollars a'la Danica Patrick.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think Caterham and Marussia have any interest in being last. They all want to be fighting for points but it's not easy. If Haas is going in expecting to get points in the first season he should pull out now.

Damn. Even here in Africa I've got it in HD...and no adverts (unless you count 1/4 of the screen with a worded advert 3-4 times a race adverts)!!

23. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My point was that I don't think a team like Haas would enter F1 if they really didn't think they could be in contention. It's too much money just to "see if we can do it." I got the quarter screen too... did you notice the 3 driver leader list was always wrong?

24. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Don't you live in Florida? DirecTV carries NBCSN in HD. Channel 220. The coverage is the same as when it was on Speed.

25. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    You can find many GM cars in Europe under the Opel and Vauxhall, in Britain.

There just isn't enough US interest in F1 for some American company to come along and field a team, especially when you see how silly expensive F1 is.

And there are plenty of talented American racers out there that you wouldn't even have to go through the Indy ranks to recruit. I feel a lot of the younger NASCAR drivers could become F1 stars if given half a chance in a successful team.