F-1 vs Indy car | FerrariChat

F-1 vs Indy car

Discussion in 'F1' started by Drive550PFB, Mar 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Watching both races today . . . I came to the conclusion that the Indy Car race was much more entertaining. The racing was better, and the cars actually sounded like race cars.

I know, I know. This is blasphemy on this board.

But, I gotta tell the truth.

Has F-1 jumped the shark?

I am starting to think that.

What do you think?

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    and another one of these....

3. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have to agree with you.

F1 is a BIG bore for me this season. I do not get a sensation of speed & the sound!

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hopefully the mods can clean this up. But i don't blame the original poster. He's just venting his frustrations...

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'm starting to think F1 has jumped the shark tank.

In the past I would watch practice, then all of qualifying, the pre-race, and the whole race. But not this season. I only watched Q1&2 and didn't even watch Q3. Then I watched maybe 5 laps of the race. The FIA has REALLY fowled up F1 bad. I'm gonna give it till the end of the season. But so far this year SUCKS, especially the sound of the engine, WEAK SAUCE!!!

6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    All true. Even the ugly Indy cars look better than the fugly fart can F1 cars.

7. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Have you watched the last 2 races? Did you see the Indy car race yesterday?

Indy racing is actually looking competetive.

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You're joking right? I agree they sound like ****, but at least they remain true to the open wheel ideal, not overgrown karts with bumpers all the way round.

To me anyway, they aren't just ugly, they're an abomination of the open wheel racing ideal.

And an F1 car would still blow them into the weeds.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    In the past I wouldn't have watched Practice, but would watch qualy and the race. So far this year I've watched 3 Practice sessions, both qualifying sessions and both races live.

10. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    The only down side to indy racing is thats its stopped behind pace cars way too often so all the racing you do is for nothing if everone catches up. As far as sheer speed both forms of racing could be faster,but then what? Loss of cosciousness like in Texas? Death rates climbing like in the 60s and 70s? Technolony has outpaced the paramenters of the human body. Its a real challenge these days to make racing interesting and keep it safe. Maybe the two are incompatible.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Are you serious? The Indy race was beyond boring.

I will say that the Indy cars sound much better than F1.

+1000

You must be drunk if you think Indy cars look better than F1. Sure, F1 cars these days are hideous, but Indy cars look absolutely ridiculous

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZOjiW--VA[/ame]

13. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Indy is hard to follow with the longer safety car periods that come with a series that races ovals.

I watched the F1 race yesterday live, then went to my local track's bar and watched the NASCAR/Indy on side by side TV's. For some reason - the indy racing is just "kinda there" to me. It lacks something on F1/NASCAR these days.

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  15. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I try to watch Indy, but just can't get over the look of the cars. Like a previous poster said, they look like ugly go-karts. Now that Montoya is back, I may watch a race just to see him.

16. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Are the Indy cars still open source in terms of aero? Maybe some of the teams can develop cleaner looking designs.

17. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    Well, I went to the Indy race this weekend, so, I have something to compare to. Formula was incredible, the sound was great! I did't think Indy cars didn't sound near as good but the race was fun to watch! With that, since the F1 cars have V6's now too, I'm thinking they are close to the same sound. The Indy cars looked pretty good IMO but still not as nice as the F1 cars. The track wasn't as nice as Austin but I'm sure Formula has tracks that aren't great either for viewing. Cost comparison, Indy is way cheaper! Tons of freebees! They had something going on all day, everyday! At the Formula race they had 2 hr breaks between events, Indy had 15 min between events, all day long!!

Will I quit watching Formula 1, no! I hope and pray, Formula comes around and Ferrari comes out on top again (Kimi got lapped :( )! I still think Indy will become a part of my life, my wife and I had a really good time! Come on, The winners name is Will Power! :)

I think the Pirelli World Challenge was probable my favorite out of all the races! Watching all the Ferrari's, Lambos, Astins, Caddy's, Mustangs, Camaros, ect, race was so much fun! The sound from these cars was so incredible! You can see it live at World Challenge TV! I'm going to start watching this race until Formula gets their sh*t together!

18. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

So you like the broken nose look on F-1 cars. I think it looks silly. And that freaking Lotus double tusk design where one tooth is longer than the other? Come on Man!

And that phallic droopy thingy on the front of F-1 cars? Give me the F2003 GA any day of the week.

19. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I've already gotten used to it. I like the stepped nose Ferrari and Lotus of the last season, I think those were good looking F1 cars.

The Torro Rosso, I doubt I'll ever get used to though - pretty darn ugly. The Red Bull, Williams, Ferrari, and Mercedes, look far better than a lot of the grid when Alonso went to Ferrari.

20. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    been to many f1 races the world over and have attended several indycar events as well.
    the indycar events are far more fan friendly and affordable.
    i've stood on the starting grid speaking to tony kanaan as he suited up for the race.
    the only comparison might have been some of the later fan events at the usgp in indianapolis.
    nothing like it at the euro events.
    but in the end open wheel road racing is racing, whether it's go karts or f1.
    i'll be watching.
    the biggest problem i have is i still remember what a v12 ferrari coming out of the tunnel at monaco sounds like.
    anything else pales in comparison
    sadly these two series seem to be drawing nearer.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would argue that Indy cars are "greener" as they use bio-fuels. Safer too as alcohol fires extinguish with plain water.

Alcohol fires though are more difficult to see. But a simple bucket of water takes care of the flames.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

The biggest problem is that they are really a spec series using all the same chassis. But, I would not say the current batch of F1 cars are "lookers" either.

23. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    I notist when they got fuel in the pit, the crew spayed a little water on the refuel port as they pulled off.

I would have loved to have heard the V12 cars!!

24. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    The Indy cars have got to be the ugliest thing out there and every time Will Power wins a race the series dies a little more.

...cant wait for the Australian Super V8's to air.

25. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I remember when they used to run methanol. When methanol burns it is invisible...scary. Drivers were petrified of fires.