Is Ferrari in Danger of Becoming The 2013 McLaren? | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari in Danger of Becoming The 2013 McLaren?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Scuderia-Ferrari, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia-Ferrari

Nov 8, 2011
    With the conclusion of the 2nd Grand Prix is Ferrari endanger of becoming like McLaren was last year? Looking at the performance of the F14T compared to the front runners there is a stark contrast to the 2013 McLaren. I fear that Ferrari will be unable to make developments to the car and improve it's performance compared to Mercedes and Red Bull.

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It could happen.

Although so far Ferrari in the first two races already has managed to equal McLaren´s best result in 2013.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not really. I don't think they have a chance to match the Merc's performance this year, only Red Bull can, but Mclaren had a podiumless season last year. Ferrari's race pace is good enough to get podiums.

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    This year's Ferrari is ****. They'll be lucky to finish better than 3rd or 4th all year. Freakin great....:/

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Merc did there homework and it's paying off, it will be hard to top them this year, IMO they have grasped the top wrung and are not going to let go, Redbull with Newey have the best shot at it.

Ferrari need fresh blood and fresh impetus, Mclaren have got Ron D back to do such a thing.

It will take more than Kimi and Fred to get the job done, clever engineering solutions are required.

Saying all that I do not Ferrari are in a worse position than Mclaren seemed to be in the previous year.

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ferrari have speed to tap into as Fred's last stint proved. I think they just need to tune their software maps a bit more to make themselves competitive. There's a lot to learn with these new drivetrains and a very steep learning curve.

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #7 TifosiUSA, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Huh? If anyone needs to worry about being the 2013 McLaren, it's McLaren. Last GP:

4 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 56 +35.9 secs

6 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 56 +83.6 secs

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I don't think Ferrari can fubar like McLaren did last year...

but it's been the same story for the last 4 years at Ferrari...

the car can't compete with RB...

and now it can't even compete with Mercedes...

wonk wonk...

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ferrari will improve a lot this year...the wind tunnel is working well so they will progress a lot faster than in recent years...Problem is if the engine is that afr from the mercedes because they can't do nothing about it, but for the rest i'm pretty sure they'll imorove a lot...also, i belive Red bull a sthe best car, theyr problem is they have the worst engine!!

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Definitely not - the Ferrari is doing well in both quali and the race. Looks like they have a very very good car - just they do not have the software side of it figured out yet.

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    #11 crinoid, Mar 31, 2014
  12. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    McLaren was much worse last year. I think Ferrari still 3rd -- Lotus is gone (for now),
    but Mercedes is up. Last year, McLaren was behind Force India at times.

13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Who says the 2014 McLaren is so fantastic? If anything, all of the improvement over the 2013 season is down to the engine and in 2014, engines happens to make the difference. It gave the Williams a complete new lease of life and as it turns out, it still is very much possible that the Williams is quicker than the Mac. If Perez raises his game, they very well could be the worst Mercedes team in 2014.

14. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Last year, McLaren wished they could come as close to the podium as Ferrari has in the last 2 races.

McLaren had a bad formula for 2013 and abandoned that season in mid-season- in favor of 2014 development.

If you saw the last race, Fernando was checking out the three podium winning cars immediately after parking. He was still wearing his helmet and gloves as he meticulously gazed at each car in the P1, P2, and P3 boxes. He wrote that he wants RB cornering and Mercedes speed- and was looking for visible signs of design.

Kimi on the other hand, didn't even know why his tire punctured.

15. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    What exactly do you think Alonso was able to "see" with his bare eyeballs which will aid Ferrari's design this year?

16. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #16 Neonzapper, Mar 31, 2014
    If you asked me what he sees in his girlfriend, I could tell you. I watched it on my big screen in the comfort of my own home. You would have to ask Alonso what he saw through the visor of his helmet, because I have no idea. However, for some reason (unknown to me) he was doing it on international television. :)

17. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Mclaren had two podiums already this season(technically 1 if not for Ricci dq) but they were still P3 and P4 regardless. They are going to be very competitive this season and will place in front of Ferrari IMO.

Ferrari needs to get their **** together ASAP before it becomes the Merc/RB show.

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Why is the worry and jumping the gun? I believe, Ferrari at the moment are the 3rd fastest, behind the Mercs and the Bulls.

They had a troubled qualifying session, which led to a average race result. I believe Fred said the main cause of it was the fact that he struggled to get the power down, and traction issues.

Brace yourselves for another troubled weekend at Bahrain, where traction coming out of hairpins are critical. I think in China, they will have upgrades.

19. TommyKaira

TommyKaira Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Domenicalli = the next Martin Whitmarsh.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Has been for years. Ferrari needs another Jean Todt. They already have James Allison and rory Byrne (on part time?) but they need a definite team leader and not some fool who keeps mumbling ''next year''.

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1000

22. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Something needs to happen. I read today that this is the longest winless streak for us for 18 years! We know that Alonso has been looking at other teams as he wants to win a championship again before he retires. I bet his manager is ringing RB and Merc every day!
    I am a fan of the new F1 with less grip and more power, but I just wish it had also heralded a Ferrari renaissance. I want us to win again!

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I remember the winless streeks of the 80's... and 90's... and while this is no where as bad, its getting there. i get the sense that Ferrari is again the place you go to get rich, rather than make a great car and win.

not to be offensive - but Too many italians - they just get so emotional - they need a brit in charge again - or some one like Todt who is non emotional to organize the team.

the same statement applies that Lauda said - with all their resources how can they not win every race? ... Ferrari are too arrogant and emotional.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It started going less stellar when Luca wanted the team to go almost completely Italians only.

I made a comment back then what would happen and it was not well received (sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet). Despite the way I put it, I was not wrong.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To be honest, Ferrari suffers from being ... an Italian team that works in isolation
    John Barnard said it many years ago, when he tried to bring part of the design office in Britain. He never managed to have the manufacturing done in UK though...

I think that any F1 team serious about winning has to be in Britain to get the best choice of engineers, the best pool of technicians, the best manufacturing facilities, the best sub-contractors, and the best atmosphere.

Mercedes, Renault, Mateschitzt, and others have understood that and based their teams in UK, although they were foreign companies.