Luca leaving early? | FerrariChat

Luca leaving early?

Discussion in 'F1' started by bentrm, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Really upset me. Coz: Support your team, encourage them, above all, do NOT desert them.

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    he had probably other things to do.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    He is sending a serious message to the team. Gravitas. There's a limit to encouragement and cheerleading that has not worked thus far.

Ferrari's F1 performance has been miserable in recent years and appears to be getting worse for the '14 season. It can't be business as usual.

4. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    So bail on your people? I would not, could not, and never have done that. Instant loss of respect. Horrible "Leadership". Imagine Enzo doing that.

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My wife was married to an Italian.

Her take: typical Italian

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I see no problem with it, the car is a total dog this year to put it mildly and perhaps its about time someone is brought to account.

Its not as if Luca attends too many races anyway so doubtful the team missed him but its a clear indication to senior members that the performances are just not good enough.

I suppose its good that both cars finished..

7. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    He should of been rushing back to Maranello to hire a new engineering team to replace the ones he just " FIRED".

8. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    If the cars were louder than the safety car he might have stuck around to the end.

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    the expression shown on tv says it all, everything is crap except the talents behind the wheels

10. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    JJ I noticed the same thing. How about MB puts a full hybrid, turbo diesel 6pack safety car out there and gives up the bellowing V8? I doubt it.

I know what you guys mean about staying to the end but it has been too long. He had other things to do and this sends a strong message. From Alonso's response, I pray they come back to China with some new wings and engine mapping. They were better at Melbourne but I think the car suffers on balanced to long straight tracks. Since China is the longest, I hope they can commit to a lighter down force set up and Alonso car manhandle the car as he has been and put his win from last year to good use. For a while I thought the dust buster cars would lack down force and grip because of less flow below the chassis but MB is almost the same nose design!

11. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    He did, quiet a few times he did much worse. Ferrari, sometimes had very strange ways of 'motivating' his teams. By contrast, Luca has run Ferrari and the team in a much more traditional fashion. I see no issue with Luca leaving, he is disgusted by 'his' team as well he should be. I just hope he's also disgusted with himself for helping dig the hole that the Scuderia is currently in. Certain friends at the factory are baffled by the choices made by him, but rarely does anyone openly denounce him at the factory. Ferrari politics are a strange thing.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Italian culture is a LOT different than American.

This sends a VERY strong message to the team. The boss is NOT happy.

I'm not a particularly big fan of LdM but this was a good choice.

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Maybe he didn't trust himself not to tear a hole in the wrong people. He needs to get back to the factory, await the return of the engineers, and sort them out. They need a motivational session to get them off the floor, and new ideas brainstormed and tested. Get a couple extra chassis on the test bed and test test test. If he stayed and hammered everyone, we would end up with no drivers and no team

14. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Ferrari have not done well since they closed their UK technical centre and moved everything back to Italy. I am not sure if this was during LdMs stewardship but I think it was.

MB have done it right by establishing the dedicated Brixworth engine facility and keeping the rest of the team in Brackley, with autonomy from corporate HQ and remote from road car operations.

Ferrari should open up in Northamptonshire and poach some people from Brixworth and Brackley.

15. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Do you mean John Barnard's place in Guildford? He stopped working for Ferrari in 1990 and they have had some success since then.

16. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I get it. Really. But I don't like it. Drivers get all the glory...blah blah.. It's still a TEAM effort. To me, if my boss leaves, F him. F the team. Poo runs down hill.

BTW, I have Aenima Zoo pressing on vinyl. ;) Don't hate, celebrate.

17. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Oh it took me forever to find an original pressing, but I found one. Do you have the Bill Hicks fold out? If you're interested in some rare TOOL info/music shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to show you some very cool stuff. I know a guy ;).

Back to your regularly scheduled programing:

Ferrari needs look outside the 'normal' talent pool and nurture young talent, engineers and team staff alike. Ferrari is such a political environment that it's very difficult to get anything done there with out having the right kind of pull.

18. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What's the Hick's fold out? Art in the album?

I have the Salival DVD too. And a few other lp's. But I actually play them. I'm not a collector so much. Just, that music hits me where is hurts! I've seen you on here. Your name and avatar caught my eye. I'll pm you. See you in Arizona bay.

19. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Toolfan, have you had the wine?

20. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    If LDM's leaving early means he's going home to start kicking ass (motivating), hiring/firing, then I guess the end justifies the means. Generally, I would not have left. At least Alonso said the team at the track did everything they could, no mistakes. They did the best they could with what they have.

21. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    #21 sindo308qv, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The motivation over there might be something I don't understand.

But if my boss ever questioned my or my team's performance after leaving like a spoiled child, my motivation would certainly wane.

23. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
  24. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Wow that was longer ago than I thought! Time speeds up as you get older :(

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, it's true...and not; he did indeed stop in 1990...but that would be forgetting that he actually came back again for more, in mid 1993.
    He established another office in Surrey which was called "Ferrari Design and Development" and worked for Ferrari until the beginning of 1997; the arrival of Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne put an end to his second involvment, FDD was sold to Ferrari mid-1997, and then John Barnard's involvment with Ferrari ended for good.

Rgds