Reb Bull Flexy-Wings? | FerrariChat

Reb Bull Flexy-Wings?

Discussion in 'F1' started by jcosta79, Apr 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    #1 jcosta79, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got an email this morning from a friend who was discussing with another friend about his suspicions of Red Bull using some sort of cable system connecting the front wing to the suspension. This would make the wing solid while the car was stationary in order to pass inspection, but then allow the wing to flex once it was in motion.

He sent me these pics of the front wing from the Malaysian GP after Ricciardo's wing failed. There appears to be something in-between the wing and the upright.

What do you guys think? Any merit to the theory?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #2 Crawler, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    This would be a flagrant violation of the longstanding "no moveable aerodynamic devices" rule, and I do not see any way that such an obvious cable arrangement could pass inspection and/or fail to be noticed by other teams. Therefore, my answer is "no".

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's just part of the carbon fiber attachment tether and device. Nothing to see there IMO. Any inconsistency in the front wing would be seen in the new deflection tests which are much more thorough than they've ever been

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This certainly makes some sense.

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    When Adrian penned a Ducati, he commented that the only reason people didn't like CF bikes, is they were trying to over design with the CF, with careful build, you could still get the much needed chassis flex a race bike needed.

The flexing front wing was an answer to the rules package forcing a heavily unbalanced over sized ugly abomination snow plow of a front wing. The idea of the rules was to cut air flow to the back of the car with the front wing interrupting it - but teams found their ways around it.

The lower nose in this rules returns the cars closer to how they were in the 1990's without the need for the massive front wings. I'll take the look of these noses over the look of the 2013 front wings.