Ricciardo vs. Vettel | FerrariChat

Ricciardo vs. Vettel

Discussion in 'F1' started by DEAF1, Apr 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DEAF1

DEAF1 Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Anaheim Hills OC
    #1 DEAF1, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Nice to see D Ricciardo out performing his overrated golden boy teammate.

Vettel has been exposed as just another "good" f1 pilot when competing in commom folk equipment...

He must have been throwing a tantrum when he was told to let D R by yesterday.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    oh you can be sure of that :p

3. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    He was at the right place at the right time for several years.

He is a great driver, but he is a weasel, plain and simple.

4. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    To the applause of the entire population of Australia :D

5. shimi

shimi Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2011
    sydney,australia
    Full Name:
    richi
    vettel is a proven champion! put him in an ordinary car and this is what you get! go get him ricciardo

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Here we go :rolleyes:

Vettel battled with a DRS problem before he was told to let Ricciardo passed (who was just a few seconds behind him when the problem happened). He actually stayed quite close to him for most the race, regardless of his DRS problem. The problem was eventually fixed. Vettel commented after the race that Ricciardo could get a little bit more from the car he himself just couldn't get to this weekend. What a tantrum!

During quali he had a downshift problem, causing his 11th place start.

He let Ricciardo passed with no issues whatsoever, no tantrums, just using his brain that can think far enough to think about the entire season instead of just a race distance.

I'm quite surprised how someone can call a 4x world champion overrated. By that logic, Webber was just incredibly ****. Like pathetically ****. I don't think that's the case...

Vettel is simply one of the very best. Leave it to this forum to dismiss that fact because of personal views, though. :rolleyes:

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    How can anyone call a 4 x drivers champion overrated? I just don't get it.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ooopsss....snap! :)

9. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    If Ricciardo had had all the technical problems Vettel faced this weekend - gearbox, DRS, engine - the cries how RB sabotaged him in favour of Vettel would be outrageous here :rolleyes:

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D
    +1

I've put the statistics of Vettel vs Webber technical problems up twice in the last week now, showing it's complete bs what they're saying. No response. Seems people don't like facts being thrown in their face...:rolleyes:

11. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    vettel overrated? but why webber didn't win any championship?

oops webber got all the badluck and sabotage :D

12. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You bet, never trust "that" lot to run your car if you've got a kangaroo on your helmet :p

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Vettel has proved himself, but like Hamilton with Nico, he appears to have his hands full keeping Ricci in check, personally I'am very very impressed with him, so far, seems a nice guy as well.

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If Vettel is overrated....does that make Weber MASSIVELY overrated? If Vettel is just a "good" driver, was Weber a bad driver?

Mark

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    They're so close to each other at the top I doubt we'd see much differences if Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel, Ricciardo, Alonso, Raikkönnen et al were all in the same cars. Only under special conditions and over a long time we'd see who could handle difficult circumstances the best or who could more constantly deliver excellence.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Every expert who watched Vettel's qualifying lap on board video saw and heard zero wrong with his gearbox, nor was his gearbox changed for the race. Just saying.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There was a software fault which he had earlier in the weekend as well. The downshifts where a bit slower than normal. Even if by only 20ms (almost unnoticeable by eye/ear), that'll make a significant difference to the lap.

18. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Hamilton has ALWAYS been the fastest driver. Now that he has a good car under him he can shine (never thought I would hear myself saying that).

19. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I have a feeling that no matter how successful he is and no matter how many records he breaks, certain peoples dislike of him will always cloud their judgement.

There were people who disliked Senna even though you would be hard pressed to get them to admit it now.

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    They were on diff tire strategies. It made perfect sense to get Vettel to let him by. I gained some respect for Vettel when he actually followed through.

21. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I'll admit it. I thought deliberately crashing Prost was bush league then and I think so now. Doesn't change my respect for his talent.

I know nothing about Vettel outside the race car, but he's a very good driver. Does he need the best car to win? Sure, but so does everybody else. F1 is 90% car.

Of the current crop I think Hamilton is the best, and have thought so since his 1st year.

22. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Yeah, I was not a Senna fan. I always thought Prost was better.

Vettle is an obnoxious child, Prost and Senna were men.

23. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    All these people who constantly criticize Vettle. It's funny... is Hamilton a **** driver too? He's winning races in the best car... it seems that's how it goes. So if Alonso had a huge car advantage like the Mercs and was winning by huge margins... would that be just because he's a great drive now?

Gimme a break.

This year is very different. It's an entirely new technology and there are bound to be huge differences between the cars. That will even out. I'd say Hamilton and Mercs dominance is far less impressive in the first year than RB's the last four when everyone had plenty of time to figure things out and be the best.

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Webber is Red Bull's own version of Massa...

25. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Not only that, it would depend on which driver liked the particular car. I personally think that is a big factor in the variations among drivers in a team; the way the car performs is going to fit one person's driving style more so than another.

I don't know how anyone can think Vettel is a spoiled child and then be all gooey for Hamilton. When he hit F1 I wanted to like him, but he was the most arrogant little prima donna brat.

The only thing I can see Vettel did was not get along with Webber. And win so much it was boring. He always looks like he is having the best time ever (OK maybe not so much now...), he loves the sport, respects the history, has a low-key off track life... even losing out to Ricciardo he blamed it on his own driving. I admit it's more interesting that he is not crushing the field, but he remains a favorite driver of mine.

I will give Hamilton credit: has come a looong way in terms of controlling his asshattedness.