The Secret to Mercedes' PU Dominance thus far? | FerrariChat

The Secret to Mercedes' PU Dominance thus far?

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Read this on the BBC in regards to the merc power unit:

BBC Sport's chief F1 writer Andrew Benson in Bahrain
    "During Friday practice we explained why the Mercedes car is so fast, because of a clever layout of the engine, with the compressor at the front and the turbine at the back, which reduces throttle lag, improves weight and packaging and frees up the electrical parts of the power unit to produce more power at the wheels.

We have a bit more info now on the detail behind that. The key is the better airflow into the compressor, because the air has less far to travel from the inlet. Less pressure loss at the compressor leads to more power than is available from the Ferrari and Renault engines. The interesting thing is that apparently the idea initially came from the chassis team, aware of the potential packaging, weight and weight distribution advantages of splitting the turbine and compressor. The engine team realized it was an enormous technical challenge and were not initially sure whether they could pull it off. But they have, and the results are spectacular."

OK, now can it be copied? =)

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Well, there you go. This was already discussed a bit I believe.

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Story was broken by Motorsport magazine last week.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You mean yesterday right?
    Mercedes secret is 'double diffuser' of 2014 | News | Motorsport.com

Article date stamped as "Yesterday at 2:35pm"

But at least I found the answer to my own question =) Apparently according to the motorsport article, it is something that cannot be copied. wonk wonk.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Been known for a while. All Merc powered cars have this obviously, Merc's chassis is just that much better too, it's not just the power unit

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It also seems they started their development from the get go(or maybe before?).

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good for them. They deserve the titles coming their way.

Renaissance of the Silberpfeile

8. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    The principle can be copied, but not quickly and probably not to sufficient effect without a new chassis designed to take full advantage of the aero and weight distribution benefits.

9. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can it? I figured this was caught under the engine development freeze. Is it not? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I haven't had too much time to figure all the rules out this year.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'm not that familiar with Homologation rules But I do Not think they will allow a complete redrawing of the engine design.
    Maybe internal parts can be changed for reliability purposes. I doubt the others can copy Merc for the next 2 seasons - IMO

11. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I would think it would be a heat soak advantage as well.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Meanwhile Ferrari's main update at today's tests seemed the front brake air duct expelling air from the wheel nut, as in last year's Red Bulls and Williams. Hope there's more.

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    A blown wheel nut won't help them w the 1+s a lap deficit that they have consistently been adrift from w Mercedes.

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    A sky clip explaining how the advantages of the front-mounted kompressor cascades to further advantageous development of the rest of the car:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ]Sky Sports F1 2014: How Mercedes become so strong in 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Interesting how they are using the Ferrari as an example of how not to do it.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    One would think that having the compressor and the front and the exhaust part at the back would mean a heavy and long shaft in the middle that requires a lot of energy to get moving. I guess the electric motor that drives the compressor helps here ... ?

It is extremely logical and great thinking and finally makes turbocharged engines the ultimate. Even when dropping a turbo on your family car you have always had to choose between long exhaust or long inlet manifold ... now you can eliminate both and come out on top!

I can see aftermarket turbos coming out like this very soon, with an electric motor in the middle that can be controlled by a simple logic sequence taking boost, engine rpm and throttle position as the inputs.
    Pete

17. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    Thanks for the video, very nice

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I just ordered one for my civic.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  20. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
  21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Family cars have inline-four transverse engines, so I don´t think this setup would really make a difference.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes it would because all engines nowadays are cross-flow. This solution enables the turbo to be say above the gearbox on a front wheel drive car at 90 degrees to the crankshaft and would permit shorter exhaust manifold and also inlet manifold.

Currently they have to choose: Turbo on exhaust side or turbo on inlet side and accept either compromises.
    Pete

23. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Are the customer p/u's setup like that?

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I guess so..... I'm pretty sure they can only homologate one design, so they've all got it.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t get it. How do you connect the turbine and the compressor then? In this F1 engine they can put a shaft between the banks because the turbine and the compressor remain aligned.