What other team will Honda supply their engines to next year ? | FerrariChat

What other team will Honda supply their engines to next year ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tifoso1, Apr 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    We all know McLaren will partner with Honda next year, is this an exclusive deal or are there others ? Will we see a return of Williams-Honda as well ?

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Two new teams in 2016 according to Ecclestone.

Haas and Kolle?

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I hardly doubt so. After so many years, the Williams is pretty fast now. Why change?

4. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    I think it was rumoured that Haas was going to go with Ferrari and Dallara chassis;
    no ideal about Kolles. I think Williams is sorted with Mercedes for now.

IMO, the Renualt powered teams are the most likely ones to opt out and try Honda,
    but that may be until 2016.

5. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Maybe Ferrari should go with Honda power.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think Ferrari had once an ex-Honda engine designer.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ferrari hired Honda's engineers to design their engines - Racing Comments Archive - The AUTOSPORT Forums

“Ferrari lured most of our F1 Engineers to design engines for their F1 and road cars - After our (Honda) withdraw from F1 in 1992. Mr. Goto (Head of Honda V10 and V12 F1 Engine Program between 1988 to 1992) used to often call me from the Ferrari factory (where he was working) and telling me they really should slap a big H on the Ferrari's Engine Block and Ferrari F1 cars were powered by Honda.”
    Ouch! Now this is something I had no idea about and I'm a Honda supporter. My question is, was this ever mentioned in the (motorsport) media? Why do we always hear stories about F1 people moving to this or that team, Sam Michael to Mclaren; Zander to Honda; Willis to Red Bull; Byrne to Ferrari etc, but we don't hear that FERRARI hired Honda's team of engineers in 93 to design their F1 and road car engines? Did anyone knew about this? What happened to this group of engineers? I wonder if they still work for Ferrari or moved back to Honda Japan... or even to another manufacturer or team...

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Honda will be behind a full season with regards to data acquisition and tuning. I would not plan on Honda being competitive until well into 2015 or 2016. Additionally, now that everyone is just now finding out about Merc's genius split turbo/block marriage it's very nearly too late for Honda to implement such tech for 2015. I'm actually still sort of doubting Ferrari and Renault will be able to implement such a massive development by 2015.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    But when Honda does get it right they will wipe the floor wth everyone.

10. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    McLaren will have exclusive use of Honda Formula 1 engines in 2015. What happens after that is anyone's guess, but certainly having more teams and more engines on track would aid development and reliability one would think.

>8^)
    ER

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    #11 nsxrebel, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yup, knew about that. Honda also used Pininfarina to design the HP-X concept that eventually became the NSX. So there's a lil bit of Italy in the NSX as well. :)

I wouldn't necessarily count out Honda next year, at least not as behind as some may think with regards to hybrid technology.
    Remember, the 2015 Honda NSX is said to be a 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo hybrid with 3 electric motors and some form of K/ERS system.

Also, a few years back in 2010, Honda brought out of storage a NSX-GT during testing for SuperGT. This was weird as Honda already had the FR-engined HSV-010 race car and competing at time, I believe, and the NSX-GT had been retired since MR cars had been prohibited in the series.

Only this NSX-GT was no regular NSX-GT car. The large snorkel intake was missing, and the hood appeared to be longer. No one had a clue what this car was doing at SuperGT testing and Honda R&D engineers showed up unannounced to the media.

Turned out that this NSX-GT was a hybrid, outfitted with KERS. Since MR cars had been banned previously, the car never saw any race action and was never tested on track, hence Honda had no real race data on the car. Toyota and Nissan agreed and SuperGT allowed Honda to test the car and all 3 teams would share all the test data.

So even though Honda has not raced hybrid technology in F1, they have been testing/researching it for quite sometime, not to mention hybrid technology in their road cars. So I wouldn't say they are that behind. I'm sure they are doing their homework.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0efOCbxURcU]Honda Tests NSX-GT FR Hybrid - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    You mean like how their last F1 engine and team did? Honda's engine was a pile only being better than Cosworth's

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Brave words. Honda has tried Formula 1 three times, and they sucked 2 of those 3 times. Maybe you´ll be tempted to say: yeah, they sucked with their own team, but when they only built the engines they were good. But their last F1 engines weren´t very good either.

Let´s see what happens.

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They made the brilliant move of hiring brawn and then the dumb move of bailing on F1--and would have most likely won in 2009 courtesy of the double diffuser. That said, me thinks this hybrid PU stuff will suit them (Honda) just fine, and I wouldnt be shocked if Toyota comes back in down the road (as an engine supplier).

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Ahh, would could have been for Honda. That's what happens when bean counters run the company.

16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep.

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's still arguable. Double diffuser, yes, but Brawn used Merc engines. It was pretty well known the Honda engines were down on power at that point of time.

18. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    That chassis was still a great one nonetheless, and it was more than just the double diffuser that made it a strong car as evidenced by the several times the double diffuser was destroyed/damaged when it came in contact with other cars, but those Brawns still managed to pull away. Honda did their homework, but failed to show up to class.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #19 Bas, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    +1. I don't understand why people say Honda will be so competitive over something that happened 25 years ago.
    Their V10 was unreliable. Never reached the powers (reliably) of the BMW, not nearly as drivable as the Mercedes and Ferrari and ultimately renault got a championship out of it. They only got 1 good season out of it...

Their V8...Powerful but unreliable
    Hiring brawn was for the whole team, not engine (which is what's happening now, just engine). In the end, Honda made the right call to get out of F1 in 2009, as the team down right sucked. No one could've predicted what happened. The mercedes V8 was probably the best all round engine (despite Renault winning more, but that is down to the excellence of Red Bull from 2010 onwards). It had excellent fuel consumption, very good power and wide powerband. Had they stuck with the Honda engine there is a good chance the championship would've been lost to Vettel...it was pretty close at the end of the championship, even with the Merc engine in the Brawn.

I don't think the Hybrid stuff will suit one team more than the others for any other reason than the ingenuity of the engineers they've hired. The companies profile has nothing to do with it IMO. Had Ferrari been clever enough to run their intercooler pipes like Mercedes has, they wouldn't be in this position now.

20. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    With nothing to do but design and test run the engine until 2015, I think Honda has a real good chance of producing a very quality lump.

I'm thrilled they'll be back.

Mark