It's Mosley's fault | FerrariChat

It's Mosley's fault

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Apr 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What a dipshoot.

Mosley to 'blame' for V6 engines | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video

Former FIA president Max Mosley says not only does he "like" the new engine noise but that he is also responsible for it.

During his tenure as president of motorsport's governing body, Mosley campaigned on three main issues; safety, cost cutting and keeping up with the times.

The latter meant a move to greener technology, which came into being this season when F1 welcomed the new 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engines with ERS.

The change, though, has not gone down well with some fans prompting F1 to look into ways to increase the volume.

And if fans are looking for someone to blame, Mosley says that is him and he's happy about it.

"If anybody should be 'blamed' it's me," he told the Daily Mail.

"We were the ones who looked at bringing in the new technology. It was 10 years in the making, and I actually like the noise.

"I wear these things in both my ears (hearing aids) because the noise of the engines went right through me for 40 years or more. It's too late to save my hearing but not for the next generation. The quieter engines are better for families. You can take children to races without fear of their being deafened.

"It is important for Formula One to evolve. Safety was the big challenge of the 20th Century and the environment is the big challenge of the 21st. If that that fact is not understood and embraced, the sport runs the risk of becoming irrelevant.

"Corporate social responsibility is important for car manufacturers, so there is a need to move in this direction so the sport does not lose sponsors and manufacturers. They see how important this technology is in the development of road cars.

"If there is one thing I feel could have been done better it is how the new regulations, and the reasons behind them, have been explained to the public. An opportunity has been missed."

2. Licht

Licht Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    LA
    I find it infuriating to read this.... Superficial slogans about corporate social responsibility... Moronic...

There is just no way these new regs and these hair dryer v6s can have any staying power

I'm optimistic that true F1 fans and their passion will prevail!

Thanks for sharing nevertheless

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wish the Nazi would get arrested for crimes against human humanity already.

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You mis-spelt shoot!!!

It was also the manufacturers who wanted the advancement of new hybrid technology. what better way to maximise R&D with promotion and advertising under one budget!! Outside F1 the expenditure and benefits are enormous

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Typical attention seeking prat, shut it Mosley no cares what you think or claim.

6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    He originally wanted 4 cylinders.

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Mosley is history and gone. No one individual was pivotal to the current engine formula. It was the product of a committee.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I'm OK with the V6-T formula, an I4-T would have been much better. An I4-T engine would be great development for all the manufacturers that are using them in their production cars. MB already has a 2.0L I4-T available in its C class that has over 350hp. And thats without any hybrid power.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    These cars are purpose built that I do not think the effect on road cars is as they like to portray.

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    He's a good scapegoat for everything in general. I can get on board.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Max Mosley....Nazi sympathizer background....sadomasochism enthusiast....

No wonder MBz has the whip hand......

12. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Is max mosley one of those mentally ill eco terrorist who want to kill sport cars and motor racing in the name of fight against this so called "climate changes"?

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    On the UK MINI forums, there's a guy with a tuned 1.6 litre 4-cylinder (inline) turbo putting out a measured 397bhp, and it has sufficient torque to spin the front wheels when doing 70mph on the motorway in the dry. I gather 400bhp was the goal and they only came up 3bhp short. No hybrid contamination of the power train there either. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For years, the Indy grid was full of Offenhauser 4-cylunder turbos and they provided good racing and a good sound!

15. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
    "If anybody should be 'blamed' it's me," he told the Daily Mail.

40 lashes from a blonde German!

Wait a minute, that's a typical weekend party for Herr Mosenbaum.
    Hmm...

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's not very difficult to get power out of a small engine as long as you're assisted with a turbo. A distant friend of mine in the UK had over 600bhp from a little 1.8 turbo (200SX S13, so at least it was RWD ;)).

If we weren't restricted on fuel right now and a teams where allowed to run any size turbo they could...I think we wouldn't see a single car running less than a combined (with KERS) 1100bhp (even with only 5 engines a season).
    LOL

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Obviously he said that because he´s a man who likes to be punished.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    "Whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks."

The only way to really hurt Herr Mosely is to ignore him.

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Mosley was heralded as a hero when he replaced the previous FIA president Ballestre.

Then, in turn he became a figure of hate worldwide.

At least Todt knows what's coming to him!

The fact is that motor racing centre of gravity is somewhere between London and Paris.

20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1
    Mosley near enough wrecked F1. I never ever liked him, only a threat of a breakaway series finished him off.

Todt plays it in a subtle low key way, seems a more sensible approach to me.

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You never liked him?
    Odd that you haven't mentioned it before.
    :D

22. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Glad to see that the legions of naysayers have found yet another avenue for expressing their displeasure and disapproval.

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Go away kid.
    Ya bother me.

;)

24. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran