Numbers on F1 Cars | FerrariChat

Numbers on F1 Cars

Discussion in 'F1' started by Need4Spd, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #1 Need4Spd, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Am I the only one who has a hard time distinguishing the cars from one another? In most motorsports, the numbers on the cars are large and easy to see. But on F1? I can hardly tell them apart when standing still, let alone at speed. Why don't they make the constructors put larger, more easily readable numbers on the cars? It would make the races more enjoyable to watch, as you could actually tell who was leading whom, and who is overtaking whom. And knowing this problem, why don't the broadcasters help us out by putting a little flag or number graphic over the cars, like they did with the boats during the America's Cup races?

Take a look at these two pics. Can you easily tell which is Hamilton's and which is Rosberg's?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, you are not the only one!

3. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Most identify the car by the driver's helmet. After than comes the color designation of the on-board camera.

Nothing wrong with numbers, but on these machines they tend to take up limited space that could otherwise be dedicated to revenue generation. The numbers on the Martini Williams cars this year are more legible, but are nicely designed into the overall retro Martini livery.

Over the 40 odd years I've been following F1 the only thing I've readily recognized was the driver, although I would concede that today's intricate and constantly changing helmet designs do make that tougher than it used to be. I would not personally care to see a graphic flag super-imposed over the broadcast, however.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That is because the rules are not strictly enforced like they are in other series.

5. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You're suggesting that there is one last bastion free from over-regulation by the FIA!?

Shhh . . .

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've never identified a driver by the car number in F1. Firstly, they've been to small for years and seeing a big, vastly different colour helmet from his teammate is a lot easier to look for than a number. Even if they made the number MUCH bigger, the colour is still easier.

Except when we're talking the Mercedes drivers, who have an annoying habbit of choosing almost identical helmets these days. Last year they both had a slightly different yellow, now they have grey and slightly lighter grey. Not sure what their deal is but it's highly irritating.

You can also identify cars by the T bar on top of the car, they have different colours. Although I never know who has what (again, I look by helmet).

I just want FIA to make a rule that forces Hamilton to stick to that yellow helmet he's had.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    America's Cup took overlay graphics to the next level and showed how much value it can add to an event. Considering F1 was probably the last major sport to broadcast its events in HD, I don't see those cool TV graphics happening for at least another 20 years. :(

8. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Guess that's a matter of opinion but I can't see it doing anything other than cluttering the screen.

I don't see the point, really. The helmet is the FIRST thing everyone sees. There is simply no way the number will ever be more easily recognizable on television.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, I am saying FIA seems to turn a blind eye on F1 infringements of rules strictly enforced in other championships (rallying, WEC, etc...).

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Trick question - those are the same car. Probably pictures from the Bahrain test, where they each drove one day? The teams are only allowed to run one car in their pre-season or in car testing.

If those were race photos, the camera pod on top of the air intake would be different colours.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Bingo.

No money no sport.

Plus it makes me pay more attention.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    back in the 70's - when the liverys were larger and more cohesive - JPS, Shadow etc...

you could tell the driver number - with the helmets... Lauda was #12 from 1974 - 1975 .... but before 74 each Gp would assign numbers to the dirvers...

I do think at least mandating a number on the front of the car and on each side of the body work UNDER the mirror would be helpful - or At least the driver has to keep the same helmet design for the year.

used to be - superstition about changing your colors /helmet ... but i guess that does not happen any more. like which side you you get into the car. ( usually depends on the country you are from - left rest EU - USA ... Right - UK and commonwealth.... )

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's an opinion, but motorsport existed before advertising was allowed on cars and sponsorship became its main source of income.

14. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    We could go back to those days but I'm fairly certain it would not be on your television and you'd be relegated to reading about it . . . sometimes weeks after the fact . . .

15. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The only number that has ever meant a nickel to me was 1 . . . designated to the WDC. I guess, however, that if no one else carried numbers that 1 would not mean anything

16. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Are you telling me that people only watch motorsport to read the sponsors' names on cars?

There are many programmes on TV that don't show advertising.

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Back in the 90s and 2000s, they used to have the number on the sides of the rear wing i believe.

19. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    I can tell only by the color of the helmets.. of the big teams that is, the rest i have no clue

20. empunker

empunker Rookie

Jan 17, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan

As stated above, it is easiest to identify the drivers by the color of the "T-Bar" on top of their cars. This year it will be either black or bright yellow.

For 2014, the "number one" driver will have the black T-Bar (Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Massa, Grosjean...).

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If that was the case, no one would be complaining about the lack of numbers then.

And the commentators would make mistakes either...

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm well aware, I just never care to look there therefore not learn who is #1 or 2...Helmets!

;)

23. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Massa will probably be disappointed that you said that for this year !

When they were running yellow and red bars, was it still a case of driver 1 and 2, or was it a team choice who gets which colour ?

Best, Sammy

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it went by number...i.e. driver number 7 was ''number 1'' and number 8 was number 2, so ordered by last years finishing positions.

25. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Thank you.

Best, Sammy