Where is best to sit at Silverstone? | FerrariChat

Where is best to sit at Silverstone?

Discussion in 'F1' started by NeuroBeaker, Apr 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Which is the best grandstand from which to watch the race at Silverstone? My father-in-law offered to get my wife and I some tickets and he wants to know where we would like to sit. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Andrew, I attended the British GP in 2012, it was a bucket list thing for me, and I had a great time despite the miserable conditions that year.

A few thoughts to guide seat selection. If you have a grandstand ticket somewhere on the circuit, you can sit in ANY grandstand for practice or qualifying, you are only restricted to the specific seat for the F1 race. That also means that grandstand seats for practice and qualifying are on a first come basis to grandstand ticket holders, so if you want a covered seat in a prime location, get there early.

I took advantage of that arrangement to watch different sessions from all around the track. For the race, decide what you want to see! Lower speed corners mean the cars are in view for longer periods; sitting along a straight means the cars whiz by in a flash and you don't see much of them. If you want to take pictures, consider the viewing angles and check out photos posted on line from a particular stand to see the potential (eg Abbey, all your photos of cars cornering will be of the back of them as they drive away from you). If you want to see overtaking, review previous races to see where passes take place.

I wanted a slower section to get a better look at the cars, and to see overtaking. I chose the end of the DRS zone on the Wellington Straight, and got a seat in the covered Woodcote A stand. Had a perfect view of Webber passing Alonso for the win with a couple of laps remaining. The view was great, but because of the fencing it wasn't so good for photographs.

I sat in Club grandstand for qualifying, and it is raised up and provides clear views of the track, so was great for photos. You can have a clear view of the Vale chicane, Club corner, and down the pit lane. Nobody overtakes there, though.

Also consider where the big screens are located - those are nice to be in easy view to follow the action around the rest of the track!

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    The way the cars change direction through the maggots/becketts complex is stunning!

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Very true, they are amazing through there! That's the beauty of the Silverstone Grandstand pass and the open weekend access. I watched parts of the practice or qualy sessions (or non-F1 support sessions) from every single stand around the track over the course of the weekend. In Montreal, your ticket is good for the assigned seat only, all weekend, and they won't let you into any grandstand but your assigned one.

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Qually's probably the best time of all to be there as the cars are arguably going faster than at any other point in the meeting.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When I was there in 2007 I spend FP2 watching them at Woodcote/beckets. Absolutely incredible.

Last hour of FP1 was at copse. The speed they entered with was hard to comprehend as you get to stand very close. The only thing more over powering was the sheer noise (but you won't have that issue :().

Saturday I spent walking around the track throughout the day attending different spots. My legs where killing me. Couldn't find anything better than the above though. Hanger straight is quite boring after 10 cars have passed.

Sunday I was at Farm which was quite entertaining, but still not as good as the above. you do sit closer to the cars but it's a mute point since Farm is gone. The Brazilian girls in front of me made my day though, lol (and Kimi winning of course).

Personally if I would go this year I'd do the same I did in 2007, wander around between copse and beckets through out the day on the first 2 days, and buy grandstand tickets for the infield complex. Good overtaking there these days and you see the cars a lot. Can also take nice pictures then if you have a decent camera.

7. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks very much for the advice, everyone! :D

I think I'm going to try to get tickets for Becketts as a first choice, next choice is Stowe, and then Luffield. Will also try to rent a FanVision (or similar) portable TV for race day. I also have the F1 live timing application on my phone. :)

Will have a wander round other areas during practices and qualifying. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Club Corner is great these days. You can see down the pit straight, pit entry, Vale, and after the race the podium.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The real question should have been:

How do I get to Silverstone?

Only one answer: helicopter

10. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Best place to sit: in a mercedes
    [/snarky comment]

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Best place to sit at the British GP: Druids

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Just get there early.

13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was thinking park and ride bus... helicopters are a little extravagant. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't blame me when you sit in the traffic jam.

There are heliscopter rides available from the train stations nearby

15. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Hilarious... but Paddock is the best, actually.

16. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oh, I didn't realise that was a serious suggestion! :eek:

How much are they? Not sure if that'll be in budget.

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The traffic is indeed horrible. Stand still and even worse when it's muddy.

If it's an option, do take it.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was serious. I did Silverstone once without helicopter and sure enough spent hours on end in a traffic jam from the highway to the parking lot. It was terrible and an experience unlike any other GP. In short: There is a reason for why they offer heli rides.

That said, helicopter rides for this event are expensive. You can google them easily.

I found Skycab - The Silverstone Helicopter F1 British Grand Prix Transfer Service. They charge 485 quid per person.

I'm not likely to ever go to Silverstone again (not worth it IMHO) but if I do, I would only go by helicopter.

PS: There are also helicopter rides from Nice to the Monaco GP but they are dirt cheap by comparison. Who knew?

19. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks very much. :)

It sounds like a nice alternative to a traffic jam, but I'm afraid it's not affordable for me. At least I'll have good company (wifey) for the journey. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #20 NeuroBeaker, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Almost ready for the British GP... just ordered a Ferrari hat to wear at the weekend. ;)

The tickets are also here - wifey and I will be in the Becketts grandstand for qualifying and the race, though will meander about during the practices. :D

Anyone else going this year? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Back in the day, we used to camp on site to avoid the traffic. Nice in decent weather, a quagmire when wet....

However, things have improved some since Bernie convinced the Queen to build a bypass round Towcester among other improvements. It's not perfect, and Sunday will be tough, but worst case you'll still get there in plenty of time.

Having said all that, I too once swore I'd never return unless it was by chopper.....

It's still a great GP, you'll enjoy it. Looking forward to your report. Remember, pix or it didn't happen..... Where are you staying?

Cheers,
    Ian

22. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Staying with family near Wokingham in Berkshire.

I'll remember to get plenty of pictures, though I assure you the quality will be awful. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #23 kraftwerk, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice hat, however if you wear this one, am sure they will wave you through all traffic in fear you may smash them out the way...;)...

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No worries, hope the traffic is not too much of a problem :)

25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    LOL! :D

Every time there's an unexplained yellow flag when we're watching on TV my wife goes: "Who or what has Maldonado crashed into this time?!" :)

All the best,
    Andrew.