Red Bull race decisions (China) | FerrariChat

Red Bull race decisions (China)

Discussion in 'F1' started by BigWilly, Apr 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    #1 BigWilly, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    He was making it difficult for Ricardo and towards the end it looked like DR had enough to challenge the Ferrari, maybe not pass, but would have given them a better chance at the podium.

2. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No... I don't think so at all. He did let me by... albeit 20 seconds or so later than requested. Ric still had another car in between him an Alonso I believe. Pastor I think held him a bit longer than he should have.

Either way... if he could have caught him... passing him is another think entirely on its own. It's not like he was just going to blow by him. Alonso is not easy to pass.

Also, it would've happened on the last lap. The morons waived the checkered flag one lap too early... but it officially ended the race.

Can you imagine if he would've actually caught Alonso at the end of the last lap only to have a podium taken away for the 2nd time?

3. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yeah would have been difficult/impossible to pass once caught.

Earlier in the race Vettel was on fresh tires, in DRS zone behind alonso and he could not pass. Ferrari just pulled away on the straights despite DRS on the red bull.

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    The Bulls don't have the straight line speed that Ferrari has. DR would have caught Alonso, but I don't know that he would have passed him.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That possibility is too painful to contemplate! Poor Daniel would have wondered why he was being cursed like that.

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    It probably didn't help but he wasn't going to pass Alonso anyway. Anyone else getting a kick out of Vettel being beaten soundly by Riccardo or is it just me? lol

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    As Daniel so eloquently said, "Ifs and buts, I won't give you too many of those and we just have to try and get it [a podium] in Spain. It's just making me more and more hungry each race."

8. gmbjr

gmbjr Karting

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm loving it. Riccardo has helped confirm that Vettel was simply at the right place at the right time.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Christian Horner didn't think so!

On the BBC's coverage he said after the race that he thought that had Vettel let Ricciardo through sooner, he might have been a bit closer to Alonso but did not believe he would be able to pass him due to the Ferrari's straight-line speed advantage.

He said that maybe Ricciardo could have applied a bit more pressure to Alonso by being closer but didn't think the result would have been any different.

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    BWAHAHA, I LOL at kid index, especially after he was told that Ricciardo was on fresher rubber. His reply was "tough luck", indicating he was not gonna let him pass. Then DR makes the pass.

Vettel sucks.
    Oh, F1 sucks too. ;)

11. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    I don't think so, Alonso had more fuel than either of the red bulls, I think alonso knew there was no chance catching rosberg, so he was probably looking after the tires in the situation riccardo closed the gap too much.

Fuel consumption seems to be one of the limiting factor of the red bull cars. They seem to chug a lot more than the mercedes powered teams or scuderia ferrari. So even if DR went full tilt and caught and passed alonso there was a very real possibility he would have gone over the fuel consumption limit doing so.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I dont think vettel is as good as hamilton or alonso but hes still in the upper echelon of race car drivers. I dont think anyone can win four wdcs just because they have a great car. Then again look at jenson button. His championship was really a gift.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Yet Button beat Hamilton when together

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    A gift by being in the right car at the right time, just like Vettel's championships.

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No doubt Vettel's petulance cost RB at least a good chance of being on the podium Reports of his new-found maturity were greatly exaggerated....

"Tough luck" indeed.....

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Nope. The Red Bull straight line speed is really down compared to the Ferrari. I highly doubt he would have gotten pass Alonso so easily.

Having said so, I really admire Dany Ricci. He's always smiling and looks like a genuine person. He strikes me as someone who just wants to get the job on and never looks back. He didn;t come up with any silly statements when he was DQ-ed in Aussie. He smiled, and life goes on.

Vettel is fast becoming a popular villain in F1. He needs to be blasted by his team, if the team asks you to move over, you friggin move over. No questions about tyres and fuel and what not crap. The team have the data, and they know what's happening.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

So Button > Hami ?
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

18. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Button is not as bad as some say he is. When Button decided to go to McLaren, everyone was saying Hamilton was gonna mop the floor with him and how it was a mistake going there. Wasn't the case, and Button even beat him one season, but for the most part were neck in neck the seasons they were together.

19. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Button is only as fast as his teammate, regardless of who his teammate is. He is not a team leader. Rosberg is basically the same.

20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    See this thread:

I had not seen the race until just now, so your thread title popping up in the New Posts search robbed me of any anticipation for a surprise in the closing stages of the race - even though I had been avoiding the F1 forum. Please don't do that again. :(

Sincerely,
    Andrew.

21. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    It's really best to avoid fchat, facebook, and car websites in general altogether until you see the race. ;)

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We have rules in place to avoid spoilers and they work well when people follow them.

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If one puts spoilers in the title they show up on the Ferrarichat main page. Highly irritating and completely unnecessary.

If someone who hasn't seen the race and goes to the F1 section and clicks on a bunch of threads and finds spoilers it's his own fault, however.

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Niki throws Sebastian under the bus:

"Lauda, the Mercedes team chairman, told German television RTL: 'He has been very spoiled in the past with many highs and victories, but that performance has gone… He has forgotten how to drive another car. With the (blown) diffuser cars, he had come up with a driving strategy that made him faster than everyone else.'

'But now Ricciardo, who has never driven another Red Bull, only knows this one — and he is taking it in his hands and driving it,' added Lauda."

25. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I agree.

However if I try to look at fchat, etc. it's incredibly hard to avoid spoilers, even if there are no blatant title spoilers. Even this current title makes it sound like there was a red bull collision or that they somehow made a bad choice, which I would remember and thus alter my viewing experience.

So yeah while I agree people shouldn't post spoilers, you only have yourself to blame if you look at fchat after a race :)