Excellent analysis of Vettel & Raikkonen this year | FerrariChat

Excellent analysis of Vettel & Raikkonen this year

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, Apr 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #1 Wolfgang5150, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  2. Opie

Opie Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    North NJ
    Excellent post mate!

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very, very good.

He's onto something. I can see where Kimi is coming from...there's no real point spending time in a simulator considering the issues he's having. I know a little bit about simulators and how they work (the coding side) and whilst on the simulator it's in the end just punching in numbers until it feels right (trial and error) I don't think it correlates that simple to then do that to the actual parts on the car. Simulators can only do so much and in the end it is never completely accurate (if it was, these things would be working over time and it would take a matter of weeks before Mercedes was overtaken by Caterham).

It took Lotus a long time to sort out Kimi's steering, after that he was absolutely flying. I'm sure they didn't have one man working on it on days he finished work early...it's very tough to get these ''settings'' (if you will) right and it's not as simple as throwing spanners and hammers towards it until it feels right, unfortunately.

The braking issue is the biggest worry for me. Kimi has always been very particular in his style of braking and where he makes a lot of time. You can't simply tell a driver to do it different...not when he's been doing it like he has for his entire life his way. This too needs retuning (to the benefit of both drivers) and once again won't be as simple as playing with a spanner :(.

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khA67-r5lSQ]James Hunt swears during live BBC broadcast of 1989 Monaco Grand Prix - YouTube[/ame]

James Hunt put it prefectly as usual. Just get on with it, mate..

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    You know what I got from this post? That Ferrari should have hired Nico Hulkenburg.

7. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have always been less than impressed with Vettel's driving skills, he is great at starting ahead and staying there but rarely impresses in a dog fight or in a less than optimal car. Kinda reminds me of Mika Hakkinen minus the affable personality (and the one exceptional pass that he pulled off)....

8. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    This is what separates Fernando and Lewis from Jenson, Seb, Kimi.

I think in Kimi's case it sounds more like a stubbornness than an inability to change. Also, I would imagine Ferrari is less willing to adapt their car to suit Kimi than he would like.

9. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Red Bull is giving Vettel a new chassis now.

Vettel to get a new 'Suzie' | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video

Basically they have no idea why Vettel is slow so they're going to give him a new car.

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ricci has been driving loose cars for years now while Seb has had the embodiment of solid and planted cars for the past 4 years, so of course Ricci can drive the pi$$ out of these things better than Seb. Seb needs to get real and get used to it, or he will find himself quickly to be a second rate driver.

Kimi is just massively sensitive, I agree with Bas' post above. The front end just needs to be sorted for him then perhaps he will give Fred a run. Seb's rear end issue is impossibly unsolvable though I'm afraid, he ain't getting his solid back end back.

11. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Like Hunt said. BS. Adapt and get on with it. Should have hired Hulkenberg.

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Even the F1 experienced commentary team of Hobbs and Matchett mentioned this very thing. Seb had that diffuser and now he must truly drive a car with no "help" so he is struggling.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This, from James Hunt who couldn't adapt to ground effect car and retired because of them!

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Which means he would know! :)

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'm actually shocked the two of them got that lol. But yeah, Seb has had 'point and shoot' cars whilst Ricci has had a wrestling match each and every weekend.

16. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    From reading all the posts in the F1 section, I'm starting to believe that any driver who wins a championship is a bad driver who only had the best car. Then, depending on who it is who's not winning every race, it must be because their car is fine, but they're a sh*t driver.

17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    We've had an interesting set of circumstances these past few seasons in that we've had 1 driver with a car which very much suits his driving style, in a machine consistently half a second quicker than anything else, win everything. While we have had drivers in sub par machinery pull wins and podiums seemingly out of thin air which is much more impressive. Seb is a fantastic driver, but the magic that Alonso, Lewis, and to an extent Nico have pulled off the past few years is nothing short of remarkable. Schumacher's 94 and 95 WDC seasons should not have been his, but they were as should have other seasons for that matter as he did not have the best car, but for some reason he pulled it out. Seb can't do that.

With Seb, it was expected performance as his machine was just that bloody amazing, so it's not nearly as impressive. Just as Mercedes now, the dominating performance is expected, but Alonso's work still impressed me more last weekend than Lewis or Nico's. And now that we see Seb in a sub par machine for the first time, he's getting his tail handed to him, rightfully so. Seb's a driver who is amazing in a car that suits him, but not so much in a car that doesn't, not dissimilar to Kimi I suppose.

Alonso and Lewis and Nico and especially the Schumacher of the 90s are drivers who are fast, period, regardless of machinery and they are much more impressive drivers because of these facts.

18. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know, Hamilton didn't impress me very much last year at all... or the year before.

19. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Although I'm a big fan of Hulkenberg . . . I saw nothing prior Shanghai to suggest that he is necessarily quicker than Räikkönen. I'm a bit worn out with the never ending Hobbs commentary on the topic, too. I want to start a drinking game based around every time Hobbs opens his mouth. No way anyone could finish a session without being hammered. I would agree that Kimi is sensitive but only in the broad stroke. He simply requires feedback. It's not about minute settings. If the car provides feedback, he's usually willing to put his foot down and work around the eccentricities.
    Is this a weakness? Yes, but I wouldn't write him off nearly so easily. When he's comfortable he's as quick as anyone out there.

20. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Mika Hakkinen? You are describing Damon Hill here. I disagree though. I find Vettel quite impressive in ontrack duels.

21. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Multiple poles and a huge haul of WDC points in a car slower than the RB9 didn't impress you? In what universe? I'm not a huge fan of anyone in particular but his performance last year was remarkable as was Alonso's, for years now.

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I really find it hard to believe that a steering fix turned Kimis Lotus season around.
    Feel is nice but actual performance is better.

I do believe Ferrari has issues with the harvesting/braking that somehow Alonso (or his crew) has set the car up to handle better than Kimsters.

IMO Kimi and crew have to put his nose to the grindstone and a simulator can help if its accurate.
    By now I'm sure they have programed it accurately.
    If Luca has to order Alonso's set up stolen or for him to help so be it.

Seb is no average driver. I'm not particularly a fan but give him his due.

23. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    I love how people conveniently forgot vettels achievements in the str car when he wasn't in red bull main car. The guy is definitely a great driver. Some cars suit some people better than others. This years red bull doesn't suit seb, his qualifying pace has shown that he still has the pace to be a front runner, and he has outqualified riccardio twice now. He just needs to manage his tires at race pace better.

On the flip end don't discount the setup of the car for tire wear. Lets be honest you know when jenson button is struggling to keep his tires in shape the car is set up to chew through those tires. He may not be the fastest but that man is a marvel at tire management. Conversely, look at how well the tires on hamiltons car is holding up. And when jenson and him were teammates you could see a stark difference in how much harder lewis was on the tires.

24. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    None of you would have a clue.....and that includes me. It's all BS. Any one of them would drive rings around any one of us.

It's like saying the tennis or golf player ranked 15th in the world is actually crap. It's absurd.

Someone makes a comment here, and states it as fact, and people just run with it. Makes me laugh.

We are all so far out of the loop that it's almost depressing.

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Its Friday....please let me believe I will have a good weekend. I can deal with this commentary on a Monday, but not today...ok? :) :)