New Fuel | FerrariChat

New Fuel

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Apr 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I rewatched the race and really got a good look at how much faster Alonso was down the straights compared to the RB's. From this article, it looks like a new fuel mix is partly the reason. Red Bull plan on a new mix as well which they think will return some balance... at least against Ferrari. They also think the current mix is what maybe killing the fuel sensor.

New fuel could bring three tenths > F1 News > Grandprix.com

The minutia of F1 is incredible.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I heard yesterday ferrari were using a tweaked fuel, but also know the ferrari is geared higher than the red bull or at least they chose higher gearing (they can do this once I believe) as the ferrari had some 12mph higher top speed on the straight compared to red bull. At a track such as China that makes a substantial difference.

Spain will be interesting as I believe Mercedes' dominance will be less pronounced as such a downforce intensive track. W05 I believe still carries the class of the field in terms of everything, but Red Bull will give is a good show there and perhaps beat one or both as they are indeed known for their aerodynamics and they could surprise us all. That said, if it's any red bull, it will be Ricci's. These cars just haven't the rear end stability Seb needs to to fast and Ricci has been driving cars with unstable rear ends his entire career, so sdvantage Ricci

3. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    On the other hand, before China the Cans were complaining about the Renault engines, and now they're complaining about the Total fuel. If they don't do well in Spain I guess it will be Michelin's turn to get the blame!

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Lotus and Caterham are using the same engine and the same fuel and they aren´t having so many fuel flow sensor problems.

I say BS. Red BS, to be more precise.

5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well I can sympathise with RB to a certain extent. Their car has clearly got decent aero, but lets face it - the Renault PU is the worst of the field…

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It was interesting that in China, Red Bull seemed to be using more fuel than anyone else.....

7. cmcclive

cmcclive Rookie

Feb 17, 2010
    Haven't they been the highest consumers all season? I know some races Ferrari is right there with them, but I think RB is worse (so far).

8. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Also interesting, in the documentary "Horse Power" about the development of the new engine for the 2014, fuel performance was a problem that had to be dealt with by the Shell engineers over the Christmas break. Maybe there is still an issue.

-F

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well I can sympathise with RB to a certain extent. Their car has clearly got decent aero, but lets face it - the Renault PU is the worst of the field…

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not a fuel expert... in fact I know little beyond the 3 grades at the pump. However, I do expect that different blends have different burn rates and combustion efficiencies etc. So I can certainly imagine a more efficient burning fuel, combusting better in whatever measure that is, can lead to all sorts of downstream changes such as being able to run the throttle harder, have more power through better combustion, more aggressive engine mapping?

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I thought fuel specs were tightly controlled in order to prevent un-neccesary engineering and spend on exotic formulations?

12. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think you can have exotic blends.. within the allowable parameters anyway... but they do have to be registered with the FIA.

I believe there was DQ because of that once... can't remember who... where they had an approved mix but didn't register it correctly or at all or something and got DQ'd on the technicality.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So did I !

I even thought that the FIA had made mandatory for the whole field to have just one supplier.

How can they impose tyres, but not the fuel?

That's another anachronism ...

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Yep. And i won't count out a potential Red Bull win in Spain.

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Red Bull Gives you Wings.
    The sekrit ingreedynt.

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Mmmmmmm..........Vettel seems to have had his wings clipped a bit lately though!