The Corporate Way and Scuderia Ferrari | FerrariChat

The Corporate Way and Scuderia Ferrari

Discussion in 'F1' started by GT Ferrari, Apr 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT Ferrari

GT Ferrari Rookie

Feb 13, 2010
    Yesterday, LDM proclaimed that the Scuderia needed to "step up a gear" and asked for "immediate overhaul and streamlining of internal processes, eliminating intermediate stages and bureaucracy in order to be more efficient when it comes to the decision making process."

Seems like the usual corporate response taken out of any textbook, and surprising that an organization as savvy as Ferrari hasn't already done this a long time ago.

The questions facing the Corporate Way are: is the problem simply one of organization and decision making or is it one of talent and vision of the workforce? Will working harder be all it takes? Are all engineers/technicians created equal?

Every successful F1 organization this decade (Todt/Brawn, Briatore/Symonds, Horner/Newey) has featured genius personalities that understand the technical intricacies of today's F1 car and have a vision of how it should come together, enabling them to successfully lead their staffs. Furthermore, their knowledge of how an F1 car should come together enables them to recognize dead ends so those aren't pursued.

The question now is whether Ferrari has the right management in place. Mattiacci is certainly intelligent and talented, but is he the right man for the job? I'll pose this question: if you were building a new home, would you appoint a master plumber to do the electrical wiring in order to bring a 'fresh approach' to you home construction?

Maybe SF will be lucky, but I suspect that's their only hope in the short term, and luck is not something you can ever rely on.

2. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    The race results will speak for themselves

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LdM has big Agnelli pressure on him. His ideas are years too late. Now he wants to be more in contact with the team. Time will tell. I have very little faith and think with the new formula it's time for him to leave so others can work and lead the new era.

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I think Mattiacci was brought in to see where the communication or lack of, between departments are, and maybe because he isn't intimidated to let LDM know what they need as far as personnel, money and show him where their weak spots are.

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Right. If you read the interview with M and LDM you will see how he mentioned "going to market" for people if necessary. I fear they got a little stagnant after Schumi's incredible run. Then there were the wind tunnel issues. This was a big change in formula and MB going cold side was radical and significant enough to be difficult to catch. Watch them all be cold side next year.

6. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I think we have all seen that the Scuderia will be lucky if they are able to garner a podium at any race. MB has the drivetrain to beat this year...

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My hunch is that they will re group as they get to Europe and will have more moderate success by the mid - end of the season. Shoot for 2nd or 3rd in the drivers championship... 2nd in mfg would be a huge win.

there will be an exodus from Ferrari of the non essential people - as the screws get turning the folks who are there for a huge pay day will go as it becomes clear they are not delivering value for $$ that is the result of a business guy in charge.

as for technical development - that will be a problem. My sense is Brawn is about the only guy they can plump up for that has any chops left... and or Maybe - my own wave lenght here - go for Gordon Murray... I read recently in an article that he "had one more F-1" in him... why not?

8. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    LdM is no fool, he's done it all so if anyone knows how to get the team going again he is the most likely.

He was the one responsible for JT coming to the team and I credit Todt with most of Ferrari's success ...... Schuey may have had a little to do with it as well but if all the backend processes aren't working the greatest driver will not win

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    A fish rots from the head down.

10. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Agreed. Luca has a very sparse resume, not sure how he even still has a job.

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    :D

He better not lose this one, the elderly find it hard to get jobs and what has he done of any note :p

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    LOL

14. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    At first I thought the choice of Mattiacci was weird. But maybe his management skills can be applied here to good use. The problem with the Ferrari F1 cars is a technical one, but sometimes good management of a technical team can improve the quality and performance of the technology produced by the team.

It's good LdM is focusing on the personnel structure within the team. Better late than never.

-F

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  16. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Ldm is a Clown hack lawyer who never does anything but point his finger or tell the team you have all the tools the only tool is that clown hack lawyer ldm . He is the same guy who push micheal and Ross out the door than got mad the guys in car factory respected the little french men who was a racer . Two bad the banker brothers passed in the early 00s . Ldm has nothing to do with savings Ferrari but to be the Italy face in the media after they passed that worm ldm back stabbed all the people In the company who where better than himself look how that gone for Ferrari

17. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Firings will continue until moral improves.

18. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I think they may be suffering from automotive cabin fever, Italian style.

19. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

This.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol, what? Are you serious?

21. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    Pretty sure he's done with F1. I think he's referring to the McLaren F1, I.e. he's going to design one more supercar

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

22. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Forget morale. How about performance? Are you happy with the status quo? Do you, and Mulehead for that matter, think that if LdM left today, with no other change, performance of the team would improve? I don't.

LdM built the super team in the '00's. Maybe he did destroy it years later (can anyone confirm this or is it just internet rumor?) but he could rebuild it again.

Hack lawyer. LOL.

-F

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    +1MM

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner