Motorsport.com reports Haas will delay to 2016 | FerrariChat

Motorsport.com reports Haas will delay to 2016

Discussion in 'F1' started by trumpet77, May 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It will be interesting to follow a US F1 team, wherever it is based.

If I am correct, only Reventlow (Scarab), Powell (Sirocco),Dan Gurney (Eagle) and Parneli Jones (Vels Parneli) ever carried the US flag.

A US team may become essential to keep interest in F1 in the States, and also a US GP.

But what we need is US drivers!!!

3. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Don't forget about Penske, they even won the 1976 Austrian GP with John Watson.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I stand corrected, Thanks !!!

It's a pity that Roger Penske waited for John Watson's victory to decide to stop F1.
    But he had proven a point and owed that to the memory of mark Donohue, I suppose.

But we need American drivers in F1, and generally in Europe.

Where are they all gone?
    In the 50s, 60s and 70s, many American drivers used to be based in Europe.
    Nowadays, that doesn't happen anymore.
    Why?

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    He wants time to shop a motor. Be a good time to check on the Honda unit.

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Report should say, "Haas F1 entry delayed after accountants call and asks whether he's nuts, or just hates his money."

:D

Mark

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I don't think that is a bad idea at all!

8. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    No way this team makes it to the grid . F1 is going to die a quick death no teams are making any money or can find money hell red bull is looking for out side money . If red bull can't afford F1 who can.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    In a word - $$$ Money.

I lived and went to school in Switzerland and did Ecole Winfield at Paul Ricard - and the kids i was up against had been karting all their life etc.. . Oliver Panis was the most recent grad who was there when I was driving.

So unless you have the Cash, and time to learn the European ropes - it just does not make much fiscal sense - especially when it costs a lot less here - and you can earn pretty well here vs. in Europe - you end up with nothing.

I had some sponsorship from a Car dealer in Montreux - Vevey.. but it ran out pretty fast after 6 races ...

Racing in Europe is WAY more cut throat than over here... way way more aggressive...

then comes the language problem.. unless you race exclusively in the UK you are going to have to live with multi languages etc... and frankly most Americans have problems with the culture and language etc.... you have to immerse your self...

Phil Hill, Ginther, Maston Gregory, Dan Gurney, etc... all had experience and or language skills to survive and live in Europe...

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    also Roger Penske was an F-1 Driver as well.. check out the USGP in 1960 - 1963

11. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    A smart move for sure. Do it right or don't do it at all.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If correctly reading the interview with Haas last week, he's got no engineering staff, no
    designer(s) and no drivers on his radar yet.

Basically, with seven months left to get a team (much less a car) together, he's woefully
    behind schedule with no actual staff in place it suddenly dawned on him that the deadlines
    are looming and nothing is in place.

There are also a lot of rumblings about Haas basing the deal out of Charlotte. It may be
    all well and good but he's going to need a base in Europe as well since the logistics of flying
    cars back and forth over the Atlantic several times per year alone will put him far behind
    time wise (just ask Michael Andretti about that). Basing this deal in Charlotte is unrealistic.

If what is being reported is true, he's talking with Dallara to build the chassis and he's leaning
    towards doing a deal with Ferrari for engines, then he should have a base in Italy in order to
    be close to his suppliers, proximity to test tracks, etc.

Likewise, he's finding out quickly that building a F-1 car and team is a bit more complicated
    than building a NASCAR car, the construction of which is still based on 50's technology.

BHW

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he should base his team in Fantasy Land.

still don't think this happens; this is just proof of that.

btw Spirot-excellent post.

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    And from Italy voices it will basically become "Ferrari 2", a way to develop new engineers and drivers.

15. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    He doesn't build any of his cup equipment it all comes from Hendrick Motorsports engines and Chassis and most of the R&D work . so he wants to build an f1 team kinda like Ldm wanting to run an f1 team

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The first point is a surprise to me. I always assumed that you had a competitive racing scene in the US.

To the list of Americans who did well in Europe, you can add Eddie Cheever.

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Follow the money, NASCAR pays lucrative $$$ if you can cut it - the top US drivers end up there. If they're good in anything else - its what they try to move to. Prior to TV, NASCAR didn't reach quite as big of an audience, it was just another form of racing, followed by race fans. F1 had a global market, so world wide drivers were attracted to F1.

Prior to sponsorship, it was a free for all, with American drivers or teams running on their own dimes for the heck of it, as was almost everyone else.

Whoever has the $$$, can buy the talent, so NASCAR ends up with the USA talent.It simply doesn't pay for a US driver to chose F1 over NASCAR if they are good enough to have that choice.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    U.S. drivers Alexander Rossi and Connor Daly are poised to enter F-1.

They've been making the right moves, taking part in European ladder series and Rossi is
    now a test driver for Caterham so it only makes sense, if this Haas deal materializes, that
    one of them is part of the team with a more experienced driver.

BHW

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This is why Michael Andretti failed in F1. He tried to do it by still living in the States and basically just commuting to the test sessions and the races. He found quite quickly that that doesn't work. And that was 20 years ago - it's probably more extreme nowadays. I think that Mr. Rossi and Mr. Daly have the right idea, and I hope that they succeed.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

21. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    He's needs a shopping list you will never see Haas again after this week end .

22. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh dear..... The latest from Haas;

Win a race!? Really?..... As I've said many times, hope springs eternal in all motorsport, but that seems 'optimistic' to say the least.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Haas will learn from mistakes of others - Pitpass.com

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Why raise expectations?

Low ball your chances and any result is a victory.