What the hell is wrong with Ferrari's F1 team | FerrariChat

What the hell is wrong with Ferrari's F1 team

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Jun 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Is it the technical team?

Bad call on the pit wall?

A puzzled team?

Engine issues?

Chassis issue?

Luca's ego?

Seriously, i just can't figure why is the Scuderia's challenge for the WDCs and WCCs dropping like flies every year. I thought it was Stefano Dom, but he's gone and it's still the same. Kimi looks like a misfit in the team. They left him out in Austria with shot tyres. They asked him to slow down and cool the brakes just after 2 laps.

I mean, what's really the issue here. I keep reading in numerous thread that Luca just can't stand Ross, Jean and Michael in his team. Why??? The was the best period in the history of the Scuderia, and Luca wants to spoil it?

The whole team just looks so dysfunctional. The Force India and the Williams suddenly looks like a better team/car package. Alonso seems demotivated. He just doesn't seem to have teh fire in the belly anymore. Kimi looks lost most of the time. It's almost halfway of the season, and he still can't get to grips of his car.

It's quite clear to me, barring a miracle, we won't see this Fiat winning any F1 race this year.

Sorry for the rant...i'm just frustrated. Like hell...

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Domenicali hasn't been gone for very long. By next season we should have a better idea if Mattiacci is the right man for the job. It's been a frustrating period to be a Ferrari formula 1 fan, but there is a natural ebb and flow to sports and they will rise again.

3. mvaldezf60

mvaldezf60 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I share your frustration with the Scuderia, but have to admit I'm glad to see Mercedes coming out on top instead of Red Bull this year

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The rules are such that while Ferrari have a good idea how they could improve the engine, they aren't allowed to do it till next season. In the case of the car, the restrictions on testing mean that you can really only develop new parts actually at GPs, which means you have to take a chance they will work for a race, or not, and when the car is capable of points already, it's a tough call. Ferrari already accepted they won't get the title this year, it's been obvious since the first race or two, and they are effectively racing for a place in the WCC, maybe second thru third, if they can capitalise on red bulls growing issues (they have a problem with the accelerated use of parts that are use-limited which may start affecting race positions/points), so that's our lot this year

At least we aren't Seb Vettel, he must have run to the podium interviews and begged Matk Webber to have his car back. I enjoyed him struggling at first given all the races he took from us, but now I actually feel sorry for the little German sausage.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Cliched question that only will get cliched answers. Even the guys in the team probably don´t know where the problem is, so why do you think that some morons in an internet forum will know better?

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Luca's ego and the rest trickles down because of it.

The (new) engineers weren't allowed to do things they want (needed) to do up until Mattiachi was forced on LdM.

Hopefully it can now all change.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Some of you obviously have not been watching F1 for that long. The rest of us watched this ***** for 21 years. Again the team is very Italian and it's great fun but oh so frustrating ...

But remember F1 isn't easy. Just ask Frank Williams and Ron (at the moment)
    Pete

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ferrari just did a terrible job figuring out this formula, and now they're stuck with what they have because of the testing and development restrictions. Meanwhile, Mercedes nailed it and are running away with the constructor's championship.

Sure, there are team issues, but there are always team issues with Ferrari. It's just that nobody cares when they're winning.

After 40 years of following F1, I can say if you don't like the current standings and formula, just wait a while. It will all change again, and in one of those changes, Ferrari will be back on top.

Cheers,

George

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The slow decay started when Brawn took his sabbatical. Luca was then able to edge out Todt Michael and the rest of the foreign elements. It's been down hill since then.

Fiat is exerting its influence but it remains to be seen if effective change is in the works.

10. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Italy is able to win the world cup so why can not Ferrari win with an Italian lineup?

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    They keep losing and Elkann will oust LdM.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Ferrari are suffering from multi dysfunctional leadership. where each person thinks they know better... and its being done by committee.... big... big problem.

If you look at teams that are successful - usually ( not always ) but usually they have two things going : 1. One Chief designer who is calling the shots. 2. Team leader where the buck stops with them..... then they have good or great drivers.

Ferrari has none of the above now. While its easy to say its an Italian thing, really its a having a bunch of HIGHLY paid people who all think others are idiots....

Montezemolo needs to be involved and stay involved. not just parachute in here and there....

Tactically - they are stuck with the engine - sucks - and chassis - not bad, but its not a package that will be a winning combo soon.

next year highly doubtful that Alonso will be there - most likely will be mutual... Riakkonen.... should just go away... and they need Vettle and Hulkenburg or Button. OR complete wild short - Alex Rossi.

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #13 G. Pepper, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I maybe not fully "up to date", as I have no interest in soccer whatsoever, but the last time I heard of them in the world cup, they were not exactly "scintillating" ?
    I brought some coffe from Costa Rica to the office this morning for my Italian collegues, they were not exactly amused...they found it "somewhat bitter".

Rgds

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Don't agree with much of the suggestions. Luca needs to be removed as far away as possible and count his money or something.

Perez regularly is ahead of Hulkenberg these days (his downside is that he smashes his cars up a bit more often). I don't think Hulkenberg is the 2nd coming in turns of speed. He's had some excellent weekends over the years, but that's really it.

Alex Rossi...please don't make me laugh. He's not bad for an American coming to race in Europe, but he's raced long enough now to have proven he's nothing more than a mid fielder. Nice chap, does alright in quali but almost always goes backwards in races.

Everyone knows I'm a massive Kimi fan but I'd be very happy if Vettel comes next. :)

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol what...

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Luca signing on to the test ban negated a big Ferrari advantage, Fiorano.
    The fact that the wind tunnel sucked for so long hurt as well.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just as in the late 80s and early 90s when Fiorio was in charge, too many generals
    and not enough sergeants.

BHW

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Spaghetti politics, as Lauda put it.

Honestly I wish they'd just hand the F1 team to the AF Corse guys, they seem to be doing a good job.

20. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I was contemplating yet another lackluster season on Sunday afternoon and came to pretty much the same conclusion. I hate that we're not doing better, but I take some comfort in knowing that the Mercs are taking it to RB and everyone else. My only wish would be that Schumacher were still with the team - It could have been an amazing season in that regard...

21. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    Ferrari came into this season believing that they had a good car, they built the car they wanted and planned to build. The problem is, Mercedes built a better power unit. for those of us who have decades of F1 watching under our belts, this is nothing new, every time there is a major rule change someone gets more right then everyone else, and they run away with the championship.

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    It's not even the PU that is the whole problem. The car is just fundamentally terrible. Watching an onboard from Alonso or Kimi is all you need to know about how bad the chassis is.

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That has been my 30+yr experience as well, I liked the 'ebb and flow' comment.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yup.

The car is all over the place for both, they have to endlessly fight it.

25. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    "...so why do you think that some morons in an internet forum will know better? "

Geeze, now we're not going to have the internet anymore!