Standing start restarts - McLaren's idea | FerrariChat

Standing start restarts - McLaren's idea

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    McLaren proposed grid restart idea - Whiting
    Jul.14 (GMM) McLaren was the driving force behind F1's controversial move to introduce grid restarts next year.

Following criticisms of the change, namely that it is unfair or even unsafe, race director Charlie Whiting revealed recently: "First of all it has to be remembered that this was the suggestion from a team.

"I put it to the rest of the teams and they all agreed that it was a good idea."

The idea, with races to be restarted from the grid after safety car periods in 2015, was subsequently ratified by the World Motor Sport Council.

Whiting has now revealed the name of the 'team' who made the original suggestion.

"I was talking to someone at McLaren and we came up with this idea of how to make the show a bit better," the FIA official told the website of the new Russian grand prix.

"When you watch a race, what is the most exciting part? The start. So, why not have a second one?"

Whiting dismissed claims the FIA is compromising safety for excitement.

"If it's dangerous, you wouldn't even have the start of the race, would you?" he argued.

"I can't see any downside to it. It's been approved. Now we've got to work on making it work."

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

How can he says that?

Cars may have tyres with different rate of wear depending if they have already pitted or not.

Unless they allow everybody to change tyres?

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    so it is all downhill from there eh? tell that to an endurance racefan. What an idiotic remark for someone who is supposed to understand a thing or two about racing.

Luca, get out of there while you still can.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J

So if the start of the race isn't the most exciting part, when is it?

Lap 2?
    Lap 3?
    Lap 4?.............etc., etc.

The finish? - Rarely!
    The pitstops? - More exciting than the start? Get real!

Endurance racing? - Seriously?

Yeah right! - That's enthralling for every single lap isn't it?

Those boys go wheel to wheel lap after lap for 6; 12; 24hours at a time, constantly passing and re-passing each other more times than in NASCAR! - NOT!

The reality of endurance racing is that once they have got off the line and raced for a couple of hours, the cars are then spread out, the race settles down and it becomes a battle of reliability, tactics and fuel efficiency. After the first few laps most of the overtaking at the top level is done when a car's in the pits being refuelled or repaired!

Still, Charlie and I could be wrong I suppose! - So give us the benefit of your Worldly racing experience and tell us all exactly when is the most exciting part of a race if it's not the start.

Just which part of the race is it that makes the fans hearts pump faster and stronger?

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Of course there isn't a specific moment when the race is at it's best. All races are different. But if the start was the most exciting part, then we know the race itself wasn't very good. So it is, at least, a poor choice of words to argue that the start is the best part of the race per definition, and that is effectively what Charlie is saying.

Plus I find it very odd to argue that the teams all agree. Be that as it may, the current criticism comes from the drivers, and who asked them? Apparently no one. And who is put at risk? Yes, the drivers.

Don't know what your point is about enduranceracing, but you should watch it sometimes. Especially the GT category. That is full on racing for most of the time. No cars spread out and certainly no settling down. Did you see Bleekemolens Viper catch and overtake the leading Porsche in the GTD class in the next to final lap at Mosport this weekend?

oh, i forgot: apparently you feel that the excitement of a race lies within the number of overtaking manouevres. I am sorry, but to me that is a rather primitive take on the sport. But whatever works for you is fine with me.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Charlie Whiting cannot be serious for not accepting that the start is potentially the most dangerous moment in a race.
    Unleashing the energy of 22 cars in a tight space at the same time can potentially have drastic consequences. Several cars get damaged in the mad stampede for the first turn, in most GP.
    Repeating the exercise several times during a race (potentially), with cars having different tyre wear is courting disaster I think.
    Drivers who haven't be able to catch the car in front for 10, 20 or more laps, will be given a change to "go for broke" and take immense risk for the first corner to gain a place or two.

I believe Indy car tried to have two lanes rolling starts after a safety car, and that provoked a lot of accident. What standing starts will do, we will see.

7. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it should be called something like 1st turn carnage, the elimination round... seem to remember more cars eliminated during standing starts than issues after the safety car opens the track...
    anyone grousing about rolling starts being unfair, has a short memory of the position their cars were running in

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Bear in mind that the expressed purpose is to improve the show.
    What do the great unwashed love most about auto races?
    Crashes.

9. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Pathetic really.

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J

Okay, so for you the start is not the most exciting part of a race and neither are overtaking manoeuvres apparently, so I ask again: Where does the excitement really lie in racing then? :confused:

Never mind! - As it seems that you're an endurance racing fan I assume it must be reliability that you find the most exciting part of racing, after all, that's basically what endurance racing is: A test of a racing cars reliability! (The clue is in the name: Endurance racing)

The basic principles of F1 compared to Endurance racing are:

F1: Can you cover an allotted distance faster than your rivals?

Endurance racing: Can you go a further distance than your rivals in an allotted amount of time?

So F1 is about how fast you can go, and endurance racing is about how far you can go.

That's a bit like a sprint Vs a marathon, and I know which one I prefer! (I'll give you a clue: It's usually all over in under 10 seconds! ;) )

Now if only F1 would drop this stupid fuel limitation, let the teams use as much fuel as they wish in order to go as fast as possible on every lap without having to worry about saving fuel, then the sport would be so much the better!

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Will we see 5 or 6 consecutive starts, accident and restart until there's only Chilton left? Maybe that's what Dennis is planning for to consistently get on the podium?

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm still trying to figure out why Ron of all people would suggest this.

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Dangerous yes, but entertaining absolutely. I am all for it!

14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I distinctly remember a bespectacled young man waving at the crowd from the back of a convertible during the driver parade lap. If it hadn't been for the sign on the side of the car advising fans who he was, I doubt anyone in the stands would have known. Twenty minutes later he was gone.

I detest SC starts but perhaps adopting rolling starts as per, God forbid, Indycar, would be enough of a compromise. Drivers expose themselves to enough danger. It may sound maudlin to mention the above as it occurred decades ago but I have zero desire to witness a second Paletti incident by stacking the odds to improve the show, particularly for the minnows. Bad idea.

15. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    How are they going to tighten the herd up after the inevitable SC pitstops and make sure the front guys don't burn up waiting on the grid for the rest of them to get into slots? Sounds like just extra SC laps to me...

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not really...Start or first lap incidents aren't that common anymore.

And even if everyone retired, Chilton would still finish 19th or lower. ;)

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

If it proves to become a carnage fest then it can be changed back for the very next race.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That might be cold comfort if someone is injured.

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They get injured just racing. Im not quite sure what the issue is. Dont like the state of your tires. Change them during the safety car. If its so bad now ban standing starts all together. Racing is dangerous. We do complain here accordingly.
    Personally along with this ban all or most run - off areas and force them to use the track as it is not with additional space. Mistakes in some way should be punished. Im all for this actually.
    Its racing. Its dangerous. They can quit.

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    A tad harsh.

I agree that off tracking should have a cost but not in terms of injury.

Tire changing may or may not be a desirable option. A bigger question is starting on clag. Not only in terms of reduced grip at the start but the effect carrying that stuff for the next lap or so will have on grip.

We have an F1 safety car, what's next an F1 Zamboni?

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Why do you think DF1's opinion is a "tad harsh" as he states nothing but facts or his opinion does not align with yours or others? We can argue back and forth until the cows come home but the fact is that this new rule has been implicated so in all fairness wouldn't it be more prudent to actually have proof of how it will effect the races, teams and drivers?

Just saying.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It's the idea that the fact there's inherent danger in racing somehow justifies increasing it needlessly.

I remember too well the days when fatalities were common and may be a bit more sensitive to the issue than others.

Racing has become much safer over time but we've seen a number of accidents that could easily been fatalities.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I do understand where you are coming from and I guess only time will tell, should be interesting though.

24. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    No confirmation it was Ron. Whiting just says was talking to "someone at McLaren".

I have mixed feelings about this new wrinkle. I agree it will be exciting. But part of that excitement is possibility of people making bonsai moves and/or coming together in the tight corners. And with that comes the possibility of injuries to drivers, marshals, and spectators.

CC

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Think anyone at Macca speaks without Ron's knowing?