Mass sacking at Caterham, including Alexander Rossi | FerrariChat

Mass sacking at Caterham, including Alexander Rossi

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jul 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was under the impression that Rossi had impressed both teams with his performances, guess I was wrong. Dare I say that I hope Haas picks him up and brings another American team and driver combo to the grid since Haas/Cheever?

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've never found Rossi all that impressive to be honest. Nice kid and all that, but there are better around.

I don't think he has the outright talent for F1, but he could very well end up there with Haas.

He's got a drive for Germany this weekend in GP2, unsure if it will go beyond that.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have never followed GP2, probably watched 2-3 races in the past 3-4yrs, but heard good things, could just be sugarcoating in the attempt for another American in F1?

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Conspiracy theory.....does the fact that one of the investors being middle eastern and rossi being American have something to do with it?

*Run and ducks for cover.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I try and watch as much as possible. Missed all the races except for Silverstone this year though, because TV here won't show it anymore (been replaced with even more football). I now stream it. Try and get to watch it, it's absolutely brilliant.

Only in 2016 will there be an American in F1.

Conor Daly looked a good bet up until the start of this GP2 season (he finished 3rd in GP3 last year overall). This season is nothing short of horrendous.
    Nah. Otherwise first thing we'd hear is a man with an unpronounceable and unnecessary long name would be replacing him. Rossi has not been performing this year, and I've never found him impressive to begin with.

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Don;t know...never heard of him before.

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It must be in a forest.

Cheers,

George

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Rossi, yes. No idea why they even got into GP2 in the first place. Isn't F1 hard enough for them all by itself?.....

That could well prompt some layoffs (always sounds better than 'sacked' IMO) and/or the good guys getting promoted to the big boy team, which would also obviously prompt further layoffs there.

However, if there's been a big cut in staff, I'd have expected to see at least a few reports getting out by now - Nothing that I can see anywhere as yet anyway?

Cheers,
    Ian

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's a little hush hush so far. I bet Caterham don't want too much attraction to all this.

Never understood why they went into GP2 either, just throwing away an extra 5 mil or so that would've done them some good in F1.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Good source Bas!.... It has begun;

While I noted I don't much like "sacked", I think I dislike "culling" even more!.... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian
    Caterham cull underway - Pitpass.com

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    This is getting ugly.... I'll try and do the Cooks version following from the first cull;

Caterham responded;

The ex-employees responded to the response..... (My emphasis)

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to edit that last one down any..... In any event, it can't be a terribly pleasant place to be working right now. :(

I'm certainly no legal eagle (do we have any here? Preferably UK based?), but I'm pretty sure you can't just **** folk the way it seems they've done...... That they're suggesting ACAS points to them having a pretty strong case too I believe (?)

No wonder Rossi got the hell out!

Cheers,
    Ian
    The complete releases are at Pitpass;
    Axed Caterham Staff respond to team - Pitpass.com

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sad

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Makes you wonder what the over/under is on them even making it to Spa next month. :(

As we know, teams, from the monster automakers to the teensiest "optimists" have come and gone since the series began. Always been that way, and no doubt always will be.

Damn, back in my day it was pretty much "seasonal employment" for most of us. Get hired for the season and go work somewhere else over the winter.....

But it remains a pretty small world, and maybe I'm *way* out of line here, but that Kolles is involved makes me very nervous, as I've said before. I suspect Romanian employment law isn't exactly comparable to the UK.

Hopefully Mr Albers has some money behind him and they can carry on. That not many will even notice their absence really isn't the point.....

Cheers,
    Ian

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It won't stop at the F1 team.
    I think the rot is at Caterham Cars too.
    I just received information that they are shutting down one showroom, and "relocatin" somewhere else.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Time was driving was a seasonal gig too.

18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'm with you - I've never heard any good stories about Kolles - are all dentists inherently sadistic and evil? ;) From when he was running a Jordan incarnation, to HRT, all sorts of horror stories leak out about Kolles. There was also a story that came out last year from his HRT period about Kolles trying to blackmail Toto Wolff when he had secretly recorded a conversation between them! Scummy, scummy character. You have to wonder also about the new owners who would hire Kolles to run their team, given his reputation...

Ex-F1 team boss Kolles tried to blackmail Wolff for money | Grand Prix 247

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Whoa!..... I thought they were now completely separate companies? Doesn't Tony still own Carerham Cars, which is nothing whatsoever to do with the F1 team?

I'm not sure, but thought the the road car company was doing pretty well, no?

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Seems he left his buddies in that new Romanian outfit that he was going to head up pretty quickly when another 'opportunity' came along too..... Nice guy indeed!

I don't know him, other than what I've read, but seems to be another example of the seedy underbelly of F1. There's been many, many, examples over the years - Great, if a little 'shady' salesmen that are somehow always 'around' without actually bringing much to the party. As you said, he's a ****ing dentist after all!......

Cheers,
    Ian

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Well there was this guy who sold dodgey used cars from under a bridge.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ;-)

Except, AFAIK, he never renaged on a deal.... A handshake, and it's all good.....

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Just count your fingers on the way out !

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Actually, count them on the way in! Otherwise, he'll convince you that only 9 were present as you entered.....
    ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas