Track Limits | FerrariChat

Track Limits

Discussion in 'F1' started by hairy_scotsman, Jul 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I thought there was already a thread about this, but I couldn't find it. Sorry if already posted...

So, are track limits the actual limits or NOT? The waffling on track limits and general random enforcement of F1 rules is becoming tiresome. I just want consistency. Once you say it's ok to exceed the limits, then how far off track is too far off? There's clearly an advantage, or nobody would be doing it.

...and the argument that it interferes with the show is just ludicrous imho. After Silverstone there were many people basically asserting it was an either/or proposition, that it (ALO/VET) was a great show, so they'd rather not mess with enforcing the limits. In response, I questioned why/how enforcing track limits would diminish that battle or detract from the show, and that indeed enforcing the limits may have even made for a better battle and a better show. Nobody had an answer or a rebuttal, on Autosport of all places.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    4 wheels off at any point should mean that the entire lap does not count.

I would also like to see; 2 wheels inside the curbing means the entire lap does not count.

That is right, instantaneously 1 lap down.

3. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I don't like the idea of deciding that the track limits don't count for selected corners. Track limits should be genuine limits and there should be some significant penalty for violating them, as far as I'm concerned. I say all four wheels outside the painted line means that lap doesn't count during qualifying; period.

During the race, four wheels outside the painted line means you must let at least one following car pass no later than the completion of the next lap. That would be nearly automatic if you put it into the gravel and eventually work your way out or if you straight-line a chicane and weave through the tire barriers.

If you were under pressure from behind, the penalty would be small but appropriate. If you were NOT under pressure but just neglecting the rules, the penalty might be significant if the following car were 30 seconds behind. But in every case, there should be a penalty which, if using my formula, would be quick, easy to see, easy for teams and fans to understand and easy to enforce. If the violation occurred in the last few corners of a race without time to let a following car pass, then there would be a 10 second penalty.