Attendence at German GP | FerrariChat

Attendence at German GP

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Jul 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    #1 CRG125, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    In all my years watching F1 I have never seen the grand stands so empty. Especially when Mercedes is finally winning with a German driver you would think their home Grand prix would be sold out.

2. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Looked pretty full to me.

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    They certainly looked full in the arena section.

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    The NBC guys commented on the lack of attendance. Fairly sparse considering Merc domination and a high likelihood of a German driver win. Maybe the whole country is still too hungover from the World cup:)

5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #5 hairy_scotsman, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Y'all need to go back a watch again. It was ugly.

There were some very empty grandstands in Austin last year. Not quite as bad as this, but almost. T4, 5, 6, 9, 11E, & 11W.

Crazy how empty most of the stands were, esp considering there's a German leading the WDC and a German team leading the WCC. Apparently mostly down to ticket prices. I wonder how they compare to Austin's. There were some very empty grandstands in Austin last year. Not quite as bad as this, but almost. T4, 5, 6, 9, 11E, & 11W.

ETA: Interesting. On Formula1.com German GP Reserved tickets ranged from $127 to $2280 VIP. USGP Reserved tickets range from $375 to $1420. GA is $224.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Perhaps Bernie is trying to squeeze too much blood out of too few stones.

7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The circuit sets ticket prices.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And the circuit has to pay Bernie's sanctioning fees which is what is driving the ticket prices
    upward. No matter what the circuits do, hosting F-1 is a losing proposition for everyone
    except Bernie.

There is a good article on this very subject by Richard Leach on Daily Sports car. He attended
    both the WEC and F-1 races at Silverstone this year and made some interesting comparisons.

F-1 is pricing itself out of existence. How is a guy with a family expected to pay for F-1
    tickets when for a third the price, he can attend a DTM or WEC race?

FIA Championship?s Silverstone Spectator Experiences Compared

BHW

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Was it full when Vettel was dominating? I believe it was, so what is the message from the crowd? It even sounded like Hamilton received as much applause as Rosberg on the podium ceremony.

I would think a winning Mercedes team means more than protesting the sound of the new cars, right?

10. poyta

poyta Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Apparently although attendance was a little down on last year its nothing out of the ordinary - attendance took a massive dive since Schumacher stopped winning and not even in the Vettel winning eras did crowd attendance increase.

11. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Compared to the old circuit the new one stinks.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 left to muse reasons for small Hockenheim crowd

F1 left to muse reasons for small Hockenheim crowd | News | Motorsport.com

The unpopularity of the Hockenheim race should be ringing alarm-bells for F1.
    Jul.21 (GMM) Elsewhere in Germany on Sunday, the Nurburgring hosted an event called the 'Truck Grand Prix'.
    Watching the unwieldy trucks from the grandstands were about 100,000 excited spectators - about twice the size of the crowd that gathered at Hockenheim for the 2014 German Grand Prix.
    Bild am Sonntag asked Bernie Ecclestone where all the fans are.
    "Obviously not here," the F1 supremo answered.

IMO; People have to understand that increasingly sports will be media-driven and not attendance-driven.

With the improved TV coverage, the on-board cameras and the running commentary, I came to the conclusion that I could watch motor racing better from the comfort of my house, rather than travelling many miles to see just a portion of the track.
    At a fraction of the cost too !!

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    But Bernie sets how much the circuit has to pay for the circus to arrive.

14. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sure, but they got into bed with him in the first place. My point is that circuits like Hockenheim and COTA go about it all wrong. They look to make as much as they can off of a select group rather than setting reasonable ticket prices and making much more money by getting as many people there as possible.

15. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    not everyone watches the whole race from their seat, I always move around at races

16. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    The Hockenheimring mainly belongs to the town of Hockenheim, and they can't waste taxpayer money. The track would make a decent profit every year if it wasn't for F1 - it's such a huge loss that the whole operation only gets out with a black zero overall.

I'd have loved to go (track is very close to me), but forking out a three digit sum for watching a race isn't for me. Bring down the prices to a level the average family can afford, and people will come. Won't happen with Bernie at the helm.