German Grand Prix -Spoilers - Comment on Hamilton | FerrariChat

German Grand Prix -Spoilers - Comment on Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by Drive550PFB, Jul 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I am not a big fan of Lewis. No need to go back over why on this thread.

But, his drive yesterday . . . he actually made it look easy going from Last place to the podium. Is the Mercedes car that good? Or can we just say that Hammy is very talented, even though I don't like him--did I say I don't like him?

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The merc is that good....and he is not bad either

ps. I don't like him either

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yes. Utterly dominant. Other cars don't have a prayer.

That said, Hamilton is a good passer and very talented, obviously.

4. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Even with all teams not using FRIC the finishing or relative to teams was the same.

Merc is still astonishingly ahead of the rest. Hami is good but I thought he dive-bombed a little.

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    He was lucky to get away without puncturing a tire on a couple occasions.

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have never doubted his raw talent from day one, yes the car is good that goes without saying.

The more you dislike him the more it's the car, and vice versa.

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    mercedes must have a great engine. doubt williams could build a better chassis than red bull or ferrari. its all about the engine imo.

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It's Merc's engine package and their ability to map the this brilliant power unit to be more drivable than anyone else. Merc supplied other teams with a base map to make it work, but nothing else ie. the fine tuning was to be done on a team by team basis, which is why mclaren is angry with Mercedes and are going to Honda where they can be again treated like a works team.

Now combine all their works-team power unit operability tweaks with W05s superior chassis, downforce, and then throw 60-70bhp in there and you have a car that is a second quicker than the rest of the field, any time they want.

Lewis, Alonso, Nico, are the only drivers on the field who could have pulled off what Lewis pulled off. Yes the car is amazing, but Lewis was out there making bold move after bold move, and pulling it off. Really great driving from him.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..i think you forgot Vettel, Ricci, Kimi , Hulkenberg at least...

10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Seems like Williams figured it out also. Hamilton couldn't catch Bottas in the straights.

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Williams has indeed done a fantastic job with that power unit. That and their gearbox is geared slightly higher than that of the Merc as well as Lewis being on chewed up supersofts which are definitely worse than chewed up softs. Had Lewis' wing not been taken out he would have taken Bottas' position, no doubt. This drive for Lewis will be one of his banner drives though, think Schumacher at Spain etc.

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The collision with Button cost Ham 2nd place on his last stint, his front right tyre was toast because of the damage on the front wing, it caused it to wear out rather quickly, he'd have nailed him otherwise.

Bottas is a good driver, again car or talent, am tending to think a good share of talent.

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Whoops, sorry John I repeated you, yes that is how I see it as well.

14. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I dislike him, but recognize that he is massively talented.

If the roles were reversed, and Nico was in last place to start, would have have made the podium yesterday? I'm not sure he would have.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #15 TexasF355F1, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    That was my point in the Nico vs. Hamilton thread. We've seen hamilton, vettel, alonso, Ricardo, button and others go from the rear to top 5 finishes.

I'm not saying Nico can't, but has he? All the drivers mentioned have done it more than once in their careers.

I believe as mentioned hamilton would have placed 2nd had the button collision not happened, but I'm not so sure that really affected his tire wear Any more than it already was. I also think he decided to not put more of a fight against Bottas because of the tire wear.

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol, not even close to on that level

17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Relatively speaking brother.

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I have never been a Hammi fan. But credit is due. It's not just the Merc is good, but he is a good driver as well, probably the best passer now, and also the most entertaining, as last weekend race showed us all. He could play safe and just take some points but he did a gutsy drive, which i trully appreciate.

Don't forget the wet British GP a couple of years ago. Perfect skills and talent. Then again look back at Kimi's time at Mclaren, 2005, and see how he used to drive back from the grid to win races...

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Sorry but i disagree. Barrichello, Kimster, used to drive from the back of the grid to podiums. Comparing that to one of the iconic drives is just pointless.

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    the car is the best. the driver is one of the best ever when it comes to passing. Hamilton just needs to keep a cool head and keep collecting points and he's still got a shot. His race was brilliant it's just a shame he couldn't catch the williams down the straight and claim second place.

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    THIS.

22. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Well, of course we'll never know, but seems like the thing is at least a second, maybe 2-3 seconds quicker than anything else out there right now. That makes overtaking a hell of a lot easier!

In fairness, a lot of them also pretty much rolled over & let him by - they recognize its only a question of time, and I see no reason why Nico wouldn't or couldn't have done the same.

Not taking anything away from him, as I said in the race thread, it was a very, very, impressive drive from one of the best, but I happen to think Nico is also showing himself to be one of the best too.

Cheers,
    Ian

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think, for the most part, he is. Ever since monaco, his attitude has seemed to shift at least when dealing with his team. He's been very good with his pit crew and almost light-hearted at times. And his apology on the track and after to button are a positive.

Im sure some will point to his demeanor after this race (and others), but knowing how I am, I'd probably act very similar.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not a chance. Lewis is in a car that has been 2.5 seconds faster than anyone at race pace (a bit less now, but an easy 1.5 seconds to the Williams and 2+ for most cars)...add to that his serious top speed advantage and DRS, I can not see this being a banner drive like Schumacher or Kimi have done.

He was driving like an accident waiting to happen, and it did, twice. Entertaining to watch, sure, but had he kept his wing clean he would have been 2nd. Expecting Button to move over was naive on his part, it was pretty obvious (to me anyhow) that he ran wide by a meter or 2 but was always doing the cut back.

25. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Button shut the door on him, idiotic move he had to pit for new rubber a lap or so later any way.

Yes Ham is a aggressive driver and made it a race to watch and besides now we have a thread on it, should we make one on Nico's comments after the race spoilers!!

Well I know which one I'd rather read and watch, the guy can do no right in some peoples eyes and am getting rather bored of it.