Alonso is key to silly season: | FerrariChat

Alonso is key to silly season:

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Hmm I also agree with what he says. Personally I think he will stay with ferrari. Though I think mclaren would take Kevin over Jensen in light of previous comments about him

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yeah thought the same RE jenson and the Mag.

Ferrari need to do a lot of convincing to him that they'll have a good car by at least 2016. If I was him I'd have lost a lot of confidence already.

Perhaps tell them something simple:

A WDC capable car by 2016 or 50 mil in my bank account per season.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I personaly desagre with almost everything he says....The simple fact that Button was mentioned as a possibility for Ferrari makes me believe that the person who wrote the article knows as much about f.1 as i do about rocket science....

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes makes for good reading Joes blog, seems to know his stuff I agree with him on this.

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Button at Ferrari? What possible motive would Ferrari have to hire Button? Seems very likeable and all, but they already have a former world champion who will be out of F1 in 2 years (or less). Button at Ferrari makes about as much sense as rehiring Massa!

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    first, they should hire brawn.....and then move on to the next decision.

regardless of who is driving, the car, and the program, is so obviously struggling, that it will take somebody of brawn's knowledge and stature to turn the ship round.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    This is what i think, Brawn is what they need the most, Allison seems to good enough to produce a competitive car (we will know next year)...If the car is good there are many drivers who could win in it. Kimi will turn this around i'm pretty sure.

10. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Good read. This says it all really:

"Fernando’s best finish is third, his worst ninth and his average around fifth. If you asked people to rate the three best cars in F1 this year (thus the cars that should fill the top six finishing positions) I have no doubt that the Mercedes would top the list and that Williams and Red Bull would be next, with the challengers behind them being McLaren, Ferrari and Force India. This being the case, how it is that Alonso is fourth in the standings with an average finish of fifth and a points total of 97?"

Would like to see him go to Williams actually.

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    So would i!!

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If that happens the God's do not favour Massa. He's just extended his contract for 3 years, lol.

If it happens he'll have driven for all the big iconic teams still around I suppose: Mclaren, Ferrari and Williams.

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Massa has? Didn't see that.

That will make him one of the most experienced F1 drivers in history by the time he is done. Nice career for Felipe.

14. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    I personally don't think we'll see Button on a F ever. It sounds just so anti-Ferrari.
    Vettel on the other hand, I could see him there, but obviously not with Alonso.

I'm a little surprised we're even talking of Vettel thinking moving. It was his team
    and I don't think all that he achieved could be "lost" so quickly. I mean, all the support
    of team should be behind him. Perhaps he celebrated a wee too much during Christmas.

It'll be interesinting to watch the developments during the summer break at the peak
    of the silly season.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I am so over Alonso.

16. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    I think Fernando will try 2015 with ferrari and if they can't deliver next year he will jump team to next year

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    This.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #18 Bas, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Alonso has to be clever though.

Rosberg just got signed for 3 years.
    Lewis ends this year but extremely likely to extend (2 years easy).
    Massa got extended 3 years.
    Bottas should get an extension as well.

So those seats are gone, with the possible exception of Bottas. I'm sure Williams are going to sign him again unless Alonso's management makes a move soon.

Then the only possible seats left over are Mclaren and a small possibility at Red Bull (the only serious ones):

Magnussen and Button both don't have a contract for 2015 yet. With their acquisitions of recent staff and the Honda engine that enjoyed an extra year of development, it could be a serious force to be reckoned with in 2015 if not 2016. It's a great chance at another title for Alonso. Mclaren teamed with Honda is extremely well funded so can afford serious development.

Small posibility opens up with Red Bull, maybe, if Vettel decides to go. It's a team likely to be up there as well but it mostly depends on the Renault PU.

So with all the good seats gone for the foreseeable future:

His only option is then to stay with Ferrari.

Serious redevelopment going on once again, but I really wonder how much will change and if they're really going to compete for titles in the coming years. Since the F60, LdM has held his crisis meetings every so often and opened his big mouth but NOTHING ever came from it. We've heard Speccy Domenicali continuously say ''next year'' (probably forgetting to add ''we'll be exactly where we are now'').

They've got James Allison there, who should do great at sorting out the chassis and his background in aerodynamics will help greatly as well. Ferrari's biggest issue will become the engine; in recent history, they haven't done great:

V10 Era: they got it to become quite reliable over the years, but it was never the most powerful
    V8 Era: Never the best drivability, worst fuel consumption and lower power than the Mercedes unit.
    V6 Era: Embarrassing.

If Alonso wants another title, he should go with a team that offers him the best possibility to do so. He can get any drive he wants (save for Mercedes).

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry Bas, but Ferrari v10 was at least from 2000 forward by far the best engine in the field, freezing the engines only helped merc to catch up. They v8 where also top of the line.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It lacked the power of the Mercedes, BMW and Honda's. It's trick was reliability (likely at the cost of power).

The Ferrari's Chassis and superb aero was what made it win championships, and obviously Schumacher in the driving/testing seat.

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    no, can't agree with that...maybe the bmw was more poerfull at one stage but doubt the merc ever was an surely not the Honda...

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The merc was excellent for a long time. It ran extremely light pistons (which where banned in 2002, I believe), allowing them to run longer conrods yet still rev higher than any other engine. After it was banned they became fantastically unreliable, and BMW started producing immense power and revs from their engines, which was always displayed awesomely at power circuits.

Honda got close to the biggest power as well for a number of years but never really had the best chassis/aero (apart from 2004, but Ferrari where so superior they could do nothing but settle for 2nd, lol).

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Probably. I recall the Honda and the BMW engines were more powerful than the Scuderia's

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    The Ferrari V10 was the best mix of power, reliability and drivability, IMO

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    i'm hearing reports that Ron Dennis is negotiating with Alonso.