Is Vettel key to silly season? | FerrariChat

Is Vettel key to silly season?

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  2. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    This is like Lewis leaving McLaren. Most didn't expect it, but nothing counts more than a winning car and this could go the same way. After the race it wasn't so obvious a German had won based on the crowd's reaction. I only saw support for Vettel from the fans during the weekend. It's easy to understand why Mercedes want a German that the public will embrace. And given he's made more mistakes and been higher maintenance than Nico, easy to see that Lewis would go before Nico.

I doubt McLaren will be able to get any first-class drivers the way the car has been last few seasons and without the Mercedes engine going forward. Hulkenberg is the best they will get and imo he should be their target and is probably as good as the high salaried guys.

3. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Hmm aren't Merc now in contract negotiations with lewis? Was mentioned in the media somewhere though Ofc nothing needs to be set in stone yet with much more time remaining.

Dnno why they would want to downgrade to vettel.

Second the idea that no one will want to drive for mclaren. Their car has far too many problems; has the best engine and still sucks. Doubt honda will bring a better package than Merc either

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    How is it a downgrade to Vettel? Plus he's German

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I believe that the day Vettel leaves Red Bull he will land in a Ferrari.

6. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    The german aspect is a plus side. Well he's very mediocre this season. Ricciardo is embarrassing him...but who knows ricciardo could be the next schumacher. At any rate I don't see vettel as all that good anymore personally

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Vettel would do well at mclaren, that's his best shot for the future. Mclaren have hired some heavy guns and are in essence where Mercedes were a couple years ago. Once they're fully operational with Honda they will go like crazy.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Because it's not spelled H-A-M etc...;)

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLOL..I-L-T-O-N...Hilton...Paris...now i understand why it is a downgrade, she definitly looks better!!

10. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Why? So he can keep losing races?

11. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Except Merc will also keep getting better too

12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Surprisingly yes. He seems so ordinary in an ordinary car.

+1

I don't see Ferrari attracting top guns anymore...unless they actually start producing good cars.

I also find it weird if Lewis does leave Merc...

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Vettel to Williams with Brawn.

14. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    If the new generation of cars are more difficult to drive, then one would have to conclude that Ricciardo is the better driver.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    When Michael signed for Ferrari they weren't exacly the best team around, neither where merc when lewis made the switch, and neither was Ferrari when alonso vame onboard, but it is a team that from time to time gets it right and wins championships, along with that, it's the best paying team in the grid, and winning for them it's not the same as winning for others, like it or not, in terms of fame and relevance, to be world champion with Ferrari stands above anything else in f.1. That's why almost every driver want´'s to drive for them...

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, yes, it certainly was like that in the past...I remember Didier Pironi saying one day: "You do not go to Ferrari to win races or earn money; you go to Ferrari because it is a privilege to be asked to drive for them".
    But is it still the same today? Ferrari drivers certainly earn some money now, and also want to win races, don't they?

Rgds

17. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Chassis will return to being top line, but it's anyone's guess how good the Honda engine will be. That'll be the biggest obstacle in attracting top level drivers.

18. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    i cant imagine lewis leaving merc or seb leaving red bull for anyone but ferrari

19. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Too much is set to sort out next season. I don't think anyone is going anywhere at this point. Next year, when all the teams have an opportunity to "bring it" we'll see where the real players land. If after having the chance to redesign a good portion of the power unit, Renault still lacks competitiveness or we see that McClaren with the new Honda still drives as back markers because of numerous other issues... that's when drivers will start making jumps.

Why now when literally everthing is up in the air and/or going to change.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I think the biggest asset in the market is Hulkenberg...he's as good as anyone, younger and cheaper...you can't beat that.

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I know.

Ricciardo has been damn impressive, but Vettel has also had a lot of bad luck. He is still a top flight driver. Hamilton to Vettel is a lateral move, not a downgrade, IMO.

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ferrari should replace Kimi with him.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    He is also the biggest and heaviest pilot of the grid, which, according to Mark Webber in a recent interview, is what makes a lot of teams think twice about offering him a contract in an era where the weight of the cars is again critical?

Rgds

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    If that is such a desadvantage than he must be reaaaally good!!!!

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    According to Kimi you'll have to wait on that one a while longer. And I think Bianchi will eventually end up at Ferrari rather than Hulk.

He was asked in Budapest today by a bunch of journos if he's leaving this season, commenting on all the negative press around him; ''they're all full of ****'' was the reaction they got out of him.