Bad news for Ian (rules being discussed) | FerrariChat

Bad news for Ian (rules being discussed)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jul 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Your worst nightmare might just come true:

Bernie and teams are currently discussing weight penalties for winning drivers.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You're joking right?.....

That really would be the end of it for me. :(

I've tried to be 'supportive' and to see things 'their way' over the years, but surely there's not a true racing fan alive who could support that, is there?

Talk about a 'show'.... May as well watch the wwf or some other scripted BS!

"Say it ain't so!"

Cheers,
    Ian

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I'm seriously done watching this joke of a sport; I'll check the results online, but that's about it

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Unbelievable! :(

Don't know what else to say beyond I would be 100% sure to never pay it any attention again.

If I want to watch a show, I'll go to the theatre.

Ian

7. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator! Way to go Bernie!

8. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Keep punishing success, let's have a secondary championship for participation too. Unreal. I went from watching live to recording each race but now I won't waste recording space if this farce continues.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'll seriously only watch GP2 (as long as they don't have stupid weight penalties) as my only source of OW racing.

Blancpain GT, 24h series etc will get priority. All on youtube, excellent everything. On the Nismo feed you can actually choose which camera you want currently (choice of 5 so far).

All the live timing you need, on the 24h series you can even get an interactive map showing all drivers on their exact position on track!!!

10. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    FakeCharlie is hilarious. Great to see another follower :)

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We need a what idiocy is next poll/thread.

Better they should be rethinking the Russian and Baku races.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What they should be thinking about is if they can squeeze in Syria.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So sucess ballast is evil but BOP and everybody with the same car and engine is right?

Mmmmm....

P.S: I don´t like ballast either.

15. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Damn you... there is coffee everywhere now.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    F1 I supposed to be individual teams trying to outdo each other. Not for it to then get limited by throwing stones in their luggage to make them slower again.

GP2 has always been the same car/same engine so that's acceptable to me.

BOP has with the new GT3 series since the get go as well, everyone knew this going into the series.

F1 has never been about equality.

Call it weird or whatever you want...it's just how I see these things.

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    If this happens I'm done. Already on the edge as it is with F1

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #18 DeSoto, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Not arguing with that.

It´s just that while everybody here seems scandalized, everything is relative. I´m against ballast but I´m willing to discuss it here. Right now they already are using DRS, that for me it´s almost worse. Also ballast was used in several highly regarded GT and touring car championships and fans didn´t complain.

P.S: must be noted that BOP is not only a GT3 thing, it´s applied with a bit more of subtlety in almost every kind of touring cars, GTs and even prototypes.

19. Fortitude

Fortitude Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    If they are considering this, why don't they just consider trying to increase the talent pool.

They could force the chassis to be accommodating for larger drivers and use the ballast to equal out weight.

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Nascar tries to balance things by giving out the spring//shock/static camber/toe, etc, from the winning car when they take it apart.

Weighing up winning driver's has no business in a series with a "constructors" championship. Only a spec series.

21. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    BTCC Ian, looks like it's heading this way.
    BTCC regulations - BTCCPages.com

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    More than scandalized! I'm ****ing DISGUSTED that they can even *consider* it! It simply goes against *everything* that F1 is (or should be) all about IMO.

I've said many times, and I guess I'm in the minority here, if you build a better car & win every race I'm not bored, I'm impressed. They should doff their caps and try and do better next time. (Accepting this is hard with the stupid no testing rule, but apparently Bernie raised that little topic in the same meeting this morning too....)

With my 'purists' hat on, I'd agree. But it hasn't, as many of us feared, resulted in constant 'back & forth', which would be a joke too. Rather, what it has done with these incredibly aero sensitive cars is make overtaking *possible*..... Previously, unless you were a couple of seconds (at least) quicker passing was more or less impossible. And as we know, pretty much the entire grid is covered by a couple of seconds.....

Very true, and one of the reasons I, personally, don't much follow it. I understand they're tying to level the playing field given the diversity of PU's allowed etc, and that's fine. But what I do object to is the constant 'tweaking' between every race.... I build a better car and beat you, I get ****ed next time out! No thanks, not for me.

Take F1 down that path and I'm done with it.

Cheers,
    Ian

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Step on over to the dark side.
    The water's fine.
    ;)

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    this one doesn't look like a hoax, oh my...I'm out.

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    DRS is an ignominious band aid, everybody knows it. But it had to be done, because nobody had the b@lls to do the radical changes to aero regulations that were needed.

So I understand their logic about the ballast. There should be radical changes to the testing limitations, to the engine freeze, to the limitation of number of engines and gearboxes per season, to the money distribution... but nobody has the b@lls to do them. As things are now, teams can´t recover from mistakes, small teams can´t stand a chance against the big ones (and now all but 3 or 4 teams are small, and probably Mercedes is outspending even the big ones). Ballast is a sh*t, but it is the sh*t that this F1 deserves.