Ricciardo's 2014 Season - Spoilers included | FerrariChat

Ricciardo's 2014 Season - Spoilers included

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Jul 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #1 tifosi12, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    I didn't care much for the Webber replacement at the beginning of the season and couldn't care less what the FIA decided about his race result in Melbourne. That all changed:

I have to say I have warmed up greatly to this (almost) rookie: He has constantly blown a 4 times WDC into the weeds and scored now two victories. Not in the best car and with a very strong teammate, who can't come to grips with this car.

So I have to say, I'm now a believer/fan of Ricciardo and certain we are seeing the beginning of a great career, which will be crowned by a WDC title.

I also believe Seb is brilliant and didn't win 4 titles by sheer luck. The current car doesn't suit his driving style but it is to his detriment, that he can't drive around that problem (like MS in his best years would have done). So even more hats off to this young guy who doesn't seem to be bothered by a less than ideal car. Certainly circumstances helped today, but in the end everybody makes his own luck.

And also hat off to Mateschitz & Co. who discovered his talent and promoted him from their B team to their A team. Just in time. As they successfully did with Seb. Their system seems to work just fine.

Now if he only could get rid of that second "i", which trips me up every time I pronounce his name.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    His defending and overtaking skill is absolutely fantastic.

He'll be a future WDC for sure. Throw Bottas in that mix as well. These two are the superstars of the future.

Kvyat in only his first year has impressed me as well. Sure a mistake here and there...but not bad for a young chap that has skipped GP2 and FR3.5 in it's entirety and is where he is now.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good possibility.

4. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    The guy has the fire in his belly. I think 80% of those driving F1 today don't.

Webber sure didn't.

5. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    On top of all that, he seems like a genuinely nice and happy guy. We will see how he reacts in the future, but his on podium demeanor is fantastic.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, oh well, nobody is perfect.

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 I'd say personally he had won me over a little earlier than yourself, why am not sure, but the fact he seems to be smiling and loving every bit of his racing come hail rain or shine maybe the case, and he is a super seemingly fair racer.

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes agreed Bottas very impressive so far as well.

9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not convinced he's very good :p

My fellow challenge owner here in Oz agrees, don't you JM ? :D

10. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm staggered that he's doing so well against Vettel. 4 x WDC and it (was) Vettel's team!

I guess I didn't think Button would do well against Hamilton either, so I should be used to being surprised.

11. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It is really weird, because it WAS Vettel's team, they screwed MW but seem to be laying out the golden road for Dan ... has he got photos of the boss's wife ??? :confused:

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree. I'm convinced that Daniel is the class of the young guns though, primarily because he is handling his teammate, which would be like Massa beating Schu in his prime.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think Vettel is struggling with the car because he developed a particular driving style driving his previous cars which had monster rear downforce, and to get the most out of that (particularly with how the exhaust influenced the diffuser) he was able to get on the throttle mighty early (in fact, had to, to get the best out of the car).

Right now with the new rules (also central exhaust etc) a lot of rear downforce and how it developed it's rear downforce is gone, and Vettel has to adopt his driving style.

It should be possible that RB will build a car that suits his driving style next year and we'll see how he can cope then.

Remember that how they wanted their car in pre season wasn't working out because they packaged it way to tight and basically had to scrap their car because it wasn't going anywhere. Amazing recovery RB has done...

14. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Really, really wish I hadn't seen this headline before watching the race.

15. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    But it's been 6 months!! How long does it take to adapt?

16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I wasn't convinced at first. I wasn't sure why Ricciardo should have gotten the seat in favor of Vergne but he truly is the revelation of 2014. The guy can do no wrong.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perfecting a driving style and then suddenly unlearn it I assume is not an easy process. I'm convinced it's one of the things that's wrong with Vettel this year, I'm also sure that the car doesn't quite suit him anyhow.

19. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    #19 308luver, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Seb seems to be getting the car underneath him now but multiple races have had terrible pit strategy. Both of Ricci's wins easily could have been Vettel had he been on Ricci's pit strat/timing(both times Vet was ahead when pits put him in bad position). The rule changes were designed to effect RB and Vettel the most and they have. Vettel arguably has the biggest mountain to climb this season.

That being said... Ricci's racecraft is incredible. It appears to be every bit as good and reliable as Alonso's but with a bit more raw speed like Ham and Vet. Those two mixed together are showing a very smart but very aggressive driver with excellent resolve, patience and timing.

+1 Superbly impressed and also a fan now.

20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Definitely an impressive driver! :D

I wonder how many Ricciardo vs. Bottas title fights we'll enjoy in future years. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Got yer TFH handy? ;)

Seriously, could you please explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

Not sure he's quicker than Fred, but other than that I agree. He's certainly continuing to impress a lot of people. Me included. Hasn't (yet anyway) become cynical & jaded either - He seems to be genuinely enjoying himself out there too. Great stuff!

Cheers,
    Ian

22. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Assuming their trajectories continue the way they're looking right now, possibly quite a few!

Seriously impressed with them both. I certainly wasn't expecting either to be, basically, dominating their 'mates either..... A 4xWDC and the most experienced driver in the field! (Please, no more Phil hate here too, thanks!)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll give him some time to get over that and become a more likable F1 driver

24. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Very well said; agree on all points.

25. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    In the post race interview, Alonso and Hamilton were asked to comment about their feelings regarding Dan. Both were extremely complementary - particularly in Alonso's case. I can see the same passing of the torch as when MS was highly complimentary of Lewis in 2006 during his GP2 season.

The greats can recognize greats!