Curious F1 Tire Question?? | FerrariChat

Curious F1 Tire Question??

Discussion in 'F1' started by Formula Uno, Aug 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I have been wondering why F1 tires have huge/high sidewalls whereas with our street cars we want our sidewalls to be as small as possible......maybe it's me but this seems to be a contradiction??

Can anyone explain this dynamic??

2. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    "It's in the rules" to use 13" wheels. They tested 18" wheels a few weeks ago.

Tall side walls turn the tires into an integral part of the suspension damping and also allow them to flex more side to side as the car incurs lateral g's. Small sidewalls have pro's and con's, depending on intended use. They're great for high lateral loads, but not so great on damping. Also, taking unsprung weight into the equation, and depending on wheel material, low sidewalls are typically lighter.

In the end it's just part of the game. We'll see if the recent testing leads to any changes.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/f1/453563-18in-wheels-tested-tomorrow-onf1-cars.html

3. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Interesting, Thanks!

I really hope that they change engines next year. The sound is horrible and kills a big part of the experience for me.