Are any of the running 412 T2's still running a tipo 044 V12? | FerrariChat

Are any of the running 412 T2's still running a tipo 044 V12?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SSNISTR, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Hi all. I know there are more then a few 412 T2's still in running order. Does anyone know if any/all are running an original spec 044 engine, or is some other engine being used instead? Recent engine shots showing the engine ID tag would be great too. As a buddy of mine is "positive" they are using some other V12 and I am pretty sure original spec 044 V12's are still being ran...

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #2 SSNISTR, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Seems 11 412 T2's were made, seems high for an F1 car no? I mean none of these were converted into F310's correct? I assume not as they were both very different looking chassis'?

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ferrari F1 client program are the only ones capable of operating most cars, I would say anything post mid 80s would have to be run by factory certified and trained F1 mechanics who were familiar with the machinery. It makes zero sense running an alternate V12 unless by some strange circumstance the alternate unit in question just so happened to bolt up and mount to the chassis and suspension points exactly like the original (no chance in hell). So in other words, it's highly unlikely Ferrari would modify an original F1 chassis to accept any other engine other than that of which it was designed to accept. It's entirely too much work and massive $$$ to design a new one-off engine to fit the thing when it won't be any more durable anyway.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I didn't mean a one off, was thinking maybe a '94 spec 043 or something similar.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    All cars in Corse Clienti are running their original engine as far as I know.

There are a couple of the 412's (T1/T2) that are outside the program but they still have their original V12s as well. Ascari Resort had 2 or 3 of them. I would think the 043 and 044 would have similar mountings etc but it would be quite hard to come across these engines, and I doubt that Ferrari would retrofit a different engine in there.

CC and AR normally run the cars at lower revs (~1000rpm lower at least) to preserve the engine as rebuild are very expensive and frequent...lowering the RPM by ~1000 can extend engine life 5-8x longer. Doesn't make a huge speed difference for these guys so it makes a lot of sense...

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Makes sense. Hopefully someone has seen one recently and can confirm a 044 in a 412 T2...

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I did some research; The 412T2's for sale that where owned by Ascari/Klaas Zwart both had their original engines (so 044's).

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    False. There are quite a few parties outside Ferrari that run these cars. And I know of at least one Ferrari (an F93A) that once had a JUDD V10 in it.

There's a world outside the Ferrari factory - and every other F1 manufacturer for that matter - that keeps these old cars running.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Rennwerk is one of them, I believe they're operating a 412T1 and definitely a couple of Arrows.

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Great to hear that ferrari doesn't keep their ecu and running info for these old cars completely proprietary!

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The wonderful part of ECU's is that they can be hacked ;).

I doubt the ECU of the 412's are very sophisticated though...

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Good go know, thanks!

Anybody else have input?