Larger cockpit openings & head area rule changes in '96, force new chassis' like '95? | FerrariChat

Larger cockpit openings & head area rule changes in '96, force new chassis' like '95?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SSNISTR, Aug 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Doing some research about the mid 90's period in F1. I know with all the new rules for '95, it made all the '94 cars obsolete, and all the teams had to start from scratch. What about '96? I know they made the cockpit openings larger, and added the side protection. Pretty sure this would have forced all new monocoques as I don't see teams being able to modify a '95 chassis to run in '96 correct, even if they wanted to?

As for Ferrari, does anybody know if the F310 was a new clean sheet design over the 412 T2? I am thinking yes with it's many visual changes?

Thanks for any input.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    F310 was a completely new design yes...everything was different.

I'm not sure if all teams had a completely new design, although with all the bigger cockpits and higher sides new chassis would have to be made and crash tested.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #3 Fast_ian, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    They've pretty much all done new tubs year on year for a long time now. Even without substantial rule changes, it's very rare for the chassis (& most other bits come to that) to see more than a single seasons service.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    My thinking as well. At the very least all cars would need a new monocoque design I would assume...a big change.

5. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #5 SSNISTR, Aug 4, 2014
    Got ya. Only recent ones I can think of are the F2004M, ran early in 2005 and the F2002B that was used early in 2003. Were they new chassis', or ones from the year before that were updated?

I think some F1-87's were upgraded to F1-87/88's as well. Pretty sure only a few were new chassis'.

That is all I can think of from the past 25 or so years...

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They'll occasionally run out the previous years car, at least early on, (in 'modified' form) if;

- it was dominant the previous year or
    - they get behind in manufacturing or
    - they realize they've done a dog!.... Mclaren (~10 years back?) was the last I remember completely reverting to a previous design.

But, I think it's very unusual and even then I believe they'll generally lay up new chassis, albeit using an older design.

These things are subjected to such high stresses and built so 'delicately' that they also have pretty strictly maintained lifetimes. Typically, one season.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's a far cry from the day when the Lotus 72 ran for 6 seasons and was competitive for 5, and the McLaren M23 ran for 5 seasons and was competitive for 4. Even the Ferrari 312T was undefeated (except for the rules change that eventually obsoleted it) in its second season of 1976.

8. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Way before my days on this earth... Was the engine the dominant part of development back then or was there for some reason a period seeing very little development?

9. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Humm, maybe pre-carbon fiber and such. The newer cars that have to pass the tuff crash tests from the mid 90's on are pretty damn strong. Plus look at all the ones still being ran now a days...which I assume are very well maintained.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant...

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yes indeed!.....

Of course, they were aluminum back then. The later ones albeit honeycomb glued together. I suspect (but could very well be wrong here) that their lifespans were simply longer too. I do remember drilling out & replacing rivets in tubs on occasion.....

I have a feeling these modern carbon things go a little 'noodly' as they age.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Actually I would expect the opposite. Metal ages and stresses more then carbon fiber. So, if maintained carbon fiber should last very, very long as it doesn't fatigue like most metals.

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    At this point probably they are not 100% sure about what´s going to happen with the carbon tubs when they´re 50 or 60 years old. Even some of the first carbon bicycles were sold with an expiry date. In theory, they should last forever, but it could be cracked in the inside and nobody would notice it without the right equipment.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh, they're 'strong' all right! The all important torsional rigidity is amazing these days too. But, if you look at what happens in the crash tests they, basically, explode - They can absorb an incredible amount of energy, but there's no repairing them!

By 'delicate' I mean light weight - I just don't think they're built to be long lived was my point.(*)

Cheers,
    Ian
    (*) EDIT; At least if pushed to the limits. - back off a little, as in the hands of amateurs etc and they're probably fine.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think a major factor was stability in the rules. Some changes did occur - for instance a rules change at the Spanish GP in 1976 banned the tall airboxes that had dominated the sport for several years, but most cars just changed their airbox designs. There was also a limitation on car width, that resulted in one of James Hunt's victories being taken away - for a while, at least.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They *can* be built that way - Witness the carbon airplanes we're seeing now - hopefully they don't go all floppy after a few years! :eek: ;)

But, and again, I could be wrong, but I don't think these are built that way.

As for fatigue, I guess ask the aviation guys - Done 'right' (read 'heavy' with expanded load paths etc), aluminum is still pretty damn good.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Maybe early CF tubs yes. But starting in '95 when they started the tuff survival cell tests, I would think the absolute strength of the CF tubs must have gone way up...

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The F2002B was basically an F2002 chassis & engine with some of the new parts on the car already (notably nose cone and wing and some small aero tweaks) and a couple of new engine parts.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    In the survival cell, sure.

But there's a lot more to them that of course.... For example, I recall reading about a guy who's trying to 'restore' a Honda from a few years ago. It featured one of the early carbon fiber gearbox cases and the guy that designed it simply told him not to use it!... It was 'lifed' and would explode apparently!.... Last I heard, he went to Hewland and did a new one in magnesium.(!)

Cheers,
    Ian

19. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #19 SSNISTR, Aug 4, 2014
    Oh, of course the bits and pieces could be like that. But smaller items could be more readily replaced. The main structure (monocoque/tub) is what you would want to be long lasting. The new survival cell side impact tests and raised frontal impact test speeds started by the FIA in '95 pretty much guarantee that.

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    New Rules for 96 were regarding cockpit escape and ability to extricate the driver - aka Senna and Wendlinger accident at Monaco... cushion on sides of cockpit for heads as well as wheel thethers. the 95 cars were lightly modified with full implementaiton of Mosley rules in 96

Ferrari's F310 was a John Barnard clean sheet - low nose & Rory Byrne high nose mid season. also the first time Ferrari had a V10 vs. V12. 412T2 was last 12 cyl Ferrari in F1.

21. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    If it were possible, it would be interesting to compare today's operating budgets, of say, Ferrari and McLaren, to those of 40 years ago, adjusted for inflation. I suspect that today's are far, far greater, which of course permits much more rapid development, and consequently, obsolescence.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Way way over the top compared to the 70's - in the 60's you could field a full team all races for $200K drivers included in that!

I Think Ken Tyrrell spend less than $250K in 71 to win the world championship.

In those days you could re use much of the previous years car.. up until about 1977- 78. when ground effects and computers and wind tunnels became part of it the cost started to go up. then took a Major bump up in 1984, and then again in 1990 from there it just went Nutz!

in 1982 - Niki Lauda was being paid the astronomical fee of $1M for a one year contract. Piquet the WDC earned maybe $400K in 81.

today engineers are earning $1M a year. an average mechanic gets about $150K + travel.

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

Mmm... not sure, I think that Rory Byrne´s "first Ferrari" was the F310B of 1997, that actually still was a Barnard design.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I might be wrong, but i think Barnard left shortly thereafter the launch and Byrne took over the development ... early 96...

25. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I just looked it up on the handy online inflation adjuster. $200K in 1965 equates to roughly $1.5M in today's money. $250K in '71 equals about the same.

Mind boggling.