After Costa it's Marmorini turn to speak | FerrariChat

After Costa it's Marmorini turn to speak

Discussion in 'F1' started by furoni, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    #1 furoni, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Marmorini wasted no time criticizing his former team:

Following on from the departure of Stefano Domenicali earlier in the season, Ferrari parted ways with Marmorini at the end of July.

Deemed responsible for Ferrari's poor first season in the new 1.6-litre V6 era, Marmorini is adamant that not all "the problems of the F14T are the fault of the power unit."

"As if in a company with the history of Ferrari had forgotten how to make your engines!" he told Italian author and F1 insider Leo Turrini.

"I mean, I accept any criticism, but do not tell me that at Maranello there are people who do not know the business of turbos, hybrids, etc."

Marmorini also revealed that in the three months that he worked with new boss Mattiacci they "exchanged few words" and only "saw each other twice."

The first of those two meeting was "for the greetings, the second when he gave me a letter that confirmed my departure from the company.

"I do not want to accuse anyone. For real.

"I will point out, however, that Ferrari is entrusting its road racing department to inexperience people who are using advisors who has so far shown nothing which is blind faith."

He added: "Ferrari run the risk of damaging the bedrock on which which the many past successes were built.

"I do not speak for me as I am out. But I am sorry for the engineers I know who are still there, good people who are demoralised."

He continued saying:

"My team and i have created an engine smaller than Mercedes and Renault because this was asked by Tombazis who was the car design chief. They told us they wanted a very compact engine, with small radiators, because what we would lose on power would be compensated with aerodinamic solutions that would give us advantage against Mercedes and Renault powered cars. That's exacly what hapened, except that when we faced the oposition the loss in horsepower wasn't compensated by the aerodinamics.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    doesn't sound like a great place to be at the moment...

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Nope, not really....obviously nobody want's to take the blame, less of all Marmorini who must be searching for a new job but he makes some very valid points and i wouldn't be surprised if what he claims is actualy the truth....Costa was more gentil(let's put it this way) but it's obvious that both man were very disapointed by the way thay were treated.
    This sacking culture it's not always the best (costa for me was a terrible mistake). I remenber when Felipe lost the title Ferrari made tons of mistakes the whiole year, yeat nobody got fired, and then, in 2010, when Alonso lost the title in the last race They quickly found an escape goat and fired him...wich was pretty stupid because he had proved in previous seasons he was a valuable team menber, and he was not the only one to blame...if i recall, the driver himself didn't even trird to overtake anyone!!!

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I will say it, getting ride of Domenicali was a mistake he had experience running a F1 team the same cannot be said of his replacement. Selling lots of cars in the USA doesn't make for vast F1 experience. To liken him to Luca in the 70's is crazy because the sport has become considerably more technically complicates since then and back in the 70s Ferrari had a real genius in Mauro.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

I was one of the idiots that jumped on the bandwagon for the Costa removal but was very wrong.

+1 on the last bit as well...Still laugh at Alonso being furious at Petrov for not moving over as if he had to :p.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It remains to be seen but I think Mattiachi is the right person for now. Mattiachi doesn't make decisions on things he doesn't know about, he takes advice from James Allison who is no dummy and will/should know exactly what needs to happen and who needs to be hired.

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    If either of you don't think Alonso "tried" to get by Petrov you are sorely mistaken. Anyone else remember the aerial shot where Alonso brakes so deep into turn 1 that the car locks up and goes completely sideways? Or when he ran off the track from trying every trick in the book?

Bottom line, the Renault was a monster on the straightaways that race. Hamilton (in a much faster car than Alonso's on that given day) couldn't find his way past Kubica either (until Robert pitted) despite the fact that Kubica was on much older tires.

That race and championship was lost on strategy, through no fault of Alonso's.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I beg to differ, Alonso knew all was lost unless he passed Petrov so when he realised he would't be able to make the pass without any cooperation from the russian he should simply go for it and not back off....Ok he could have crashed but Petrov would also prefered to avoid the accident and finish in the points..he needed it more than having an accident only to defend his position....Remenber how Senna passed naninni in Suzuka 89 after he crashed with prost? His only chance was to win that race and he did it...Alessandro was forced to open because he was an inteligent guy and he prefered a second (that later become first) than to crash....i do not believe for a second that a driver such as Shumacher, Alesi, or Mansell only to name a few would have been waiting for something wrong to happen to Petrov's car instead of going for it....However, this is not the point here and it's my own fault for derrailing the thread...;)

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Furoni right on!

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ferrari is always going to be political and caustic environment.That is its history. the Todt/ Schumacher era was an anomaly like Montezemolo / Lauda era.

Its well known in F-1 circles that to get a job with Ferrari is hitting the jack pot - they pay astronomical salaries... and part of the game is to survive long enough to earn your retirement nest egg. if you happen to make it big time like Brawn etc... eventually you will fall afowl of the Italian contingent - Italia e Ferrari primo.

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The downside is what we have now. Stagnation and lack of innovation. Wins and success also build credibility and salary range with other team etc. Ferrari are rudderless. Allen isnt enough. Hes a token and no Ross at all.

12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    To me it reads like quotes from a man suffering from a severe case of sour grapes...

13. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Look at ldm work its a Clown hack show . Once schumi was gone it's back to the good old days of pointing fingers.

14. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It sounds to me like Red Bull/Renault took the same approach as Ferrari/Ferrari. When RBR blamed the powerplant, Renault kinda came out and hinted it was the tight packaging that RBR wanted that was in part responsible for the RB's power unit woes.

We've ended up with a spectacular season with hard racing by the works Mercedes, and some fantastic battles between the Renault/Ferrari powered cars. The power of the Mercedes PU has kept less competitive Mclaren and Williams able to be in the mix as well.

15. DF1

Actually I see a man concerned about the work environment affecting his friends and see's a team he loves being mis-managed. Passion in my opinion.

16. iachella

iachella Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Concord, CA
    Full Name:
    Stefano Iachella
    Mattiacci appears to have struck out at Marmorini's comments:

Stefano
    Concord, CA

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Even if he got by Petrov he would have had to get by Rosberg. Alonso was never close enough to make a move that would have made any sense. That Renault was too damn fast in the straights. Petrov saying he would have gotten out of the way after the fact doesn't mean squat. Give me a break, he was one of the most aggressive drivers that year.

Regardless, it wasn't Alonso's fault that he lost the WDC at that race. He qualified third under immense pressure and circumstances out of his control lost it for him. That's all there is to it. The fact that he was even in position to challenge for the title in a car that was far inferior to the mighty RB6 is just another feather in his cap for being greatest of all time.

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Regardless, it wasn't Alonso's fault that he lost the WDC at that race.

Yes it was, and the championship was lost not only at that race.....remenber the spin in the first corner in an earlier g.p? remenber the false start? remenber the crash at Monaco? remember the miserable race in canada were the team made him jump the macs during pit stop only to get passed by both of them because he couldn't pass backmarkes fast enough?
    Remenber how he started last race?backwards! like he had done in Monza, but that time the team put him in front of jenson and he managed to stay there....The Ferari was not the best acr but Alonso drove as many good races as he made stupid mistakes....he is as much to blame for loosing that championship as anyone else.

Now back to thead..yes, Mattiacis interview seems like an ansew to Marmorini...probably they are both right!!

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    You can look at any season of F1 in the history of the sport and no driver has done everything perfect. Hasn't happened once. (Alonso's 2012 is the closest I have seen to perfect). When you are on the ragged edge in an inferior car, mistakes happen. Alonso's talent took the 2010 championship to the wire in a car that was slower than the McLarens and Red Bulls and would have won comfortably if it wasn't for a team mistake. To think otherwise is just being a hater, which is what you are when it comes to Alonso.

We will never agree so no point in discussing it any further.

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree with last sentence....desagree with everything elese.....;)

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Seems someone else is sending messages to ferrari

Williams F1 team says eliminating blame culture key to resurgence
    By Edd Straw Thursday, August 21st 2014, 09:13 GMT

Eliminating a 'blame culture' has played a significant role in the Williams Formula 1 team's turnaround, according to performance chief Rob Smedley.

Williams has made significant strides during the 2014 F1 season both in terms of results and operational strength.

Smedley believes that focusing on troubleshooting problems rather than trying to blame individuals has played a big part in that.

The inside story of Williams's revival

"Perhaps Williams was a bit guilty in the past, and it's not the only team, of having a bit of a blame culture on the technical side," Smedley told AUTOSPORT.

"Pat [Symonds, chief technical officer] and I both have the same core value that you absolutely must not have a blame culture.

"When you have a blame culture, people spend 60-90 per cent of their effort covering what they have done rather than doing anything positive and understanding the problem, making the car go quicker or making operations slicker.

"I know that because I've seen it many times before, but if you actually say to people 'look, that's my job, the buck stops with me, it's actually my fault' no matter who made the call the situation is diffused very quickly.

"We're not looking for someone to sack or looking for scapegoats, meaning people end up focusing on something positive.

"That's the culture we are trying to build up here and slowly it is working."

Smedley also believes that the race team and the factory are working together more effectively than before.

This has often been a weakness at Williams in the past, but the impressive hit-rate of the upgrades the team has introduced this season shows it is no longer the case.

While Symonds is focused on the work done at the factory as well as attending races, Smedley's role as head of vehicle performance means he is in day-to-day charge of the race team.

"I really like the way the axis is working," said Smedley.

"Pat is, far and away, the best boss I have had and there is a great deal of trust there between the two of us.

"I'm in constant contact with him when we're here at the track and when stuff needs doing he's the link back to the factory.

"We have these conversations and bounce ideas off each other and then that goes back, and it is a way to feed back ideas back to the factory."

inShare

23. DF1

Nice post on Williams. Ferrari are unable to cope with change very quickly and be focused. The atmosphere posted by Costa Marmorini is toxic. Both say the same. No coinicidence. Appears to have a lack of harmony

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Smedley never refers to Ferrari But given how long he was there i think it's obviosu who he was talking about when he mentioons "blame culture", "looking for someone to sack or looking for scapegoats"....after all he left the team because he choose to so no one can acuse him of sour grapes...