Lewis back to McLaren ? | FerrariChat

Lewis back to McLaren ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Aug 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO Merc may not want all this controversy and not renew Lewis contract

2. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    I don't care for Hamilton. He whines constantly and has a long history of driving aggressively to the point of frequently wrecking himself and others. Having said that MBZ is faulting Rosberg. So who knows.

3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    To me the situation looks familiar to when McLaren had Lewis and Alonso - Both great drivers but separation was needed

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Why does he have to run away? Going to Mclaren isn't going to solve anything. Plus, what are the odds that they are going to be championship contenders next year? At the moment, Merc is proving they can be contenders next year.

If Lewis wants the championship badly, he will stay and fight on like a man. I thought he wanted to take some out of Senna's approach...he said some sorta thing like that in Monaco...

5. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    With his tail between his legs and a big "I told you so"?

6. F22G

F22G Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    Rosberg needs to be taught a "lesson" also. There is absolutely no reason you would run into your team mate to win the race. Rosberg cant win and wants Hamilton to let him pass. They are both out there trying to win the race. Who wants a champion that either cheated or was given the overall win.

7. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Both great racers in their own way. As much as I don't care for Lewis I think he's the better overall driver and Mercedes would be foolish to not try to keep him. This lineup is working pretty well for Mercedes, I can't blame either guy for pushing for the win like they did in Belgium.

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Exactly what lesson would that be? All the unbiased and experienced race fans realize it was just a racing accident.

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said my friend :)

10. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Let's not forget that McLaren has Honda coming a board next season and the preliminary engine numbers are very good...and that's a good reason to move to McLaren...

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Sooner or later RB is gonna give Merc a run for their money
    That's when Merc will need Lewis more than Nico - IMO

My fear is Merc will trade Lewis for a more compliant easy going driver - Hate to see Lewis lose the seat though
    They may even recruit Ricci who will beat the pants of Nico and have a pleasant demeanor while doing it :)

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It is official, the Silly Season is upon us.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It will be a shame if he pushes himself out of F1 ...

Time to shut up and be the smarter one IMO
    Pete

14. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    The irony of all of this is I believe one of the reasons Hamilton went to Merc is that he thought he could easily beat his teammate there.

It didn't work out that way.

Hamilton is a whiner. Nico is a child. Lauda is probably the least personable person on the planet.

Can you say coming train wreck?

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    And to me, after both driver interviews yesterday Hamilton seemed much more mature in his attitude. I think he's chalking this season up to a loss but will continue to fight judging by his body language.

We can all speculate what goes on behind the scenes, but none of us know unless we're there. Things aren't always how they appear. But when has Rosberg ever really been challenged? Sure Schumi was his prior teammate, but they weren't competitive. Until Rosberg makes a top 5 finish, let alone a podium, from the back of the pack or pit lane he is still not as good a driver.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The irony is that a duplicate thread had to be started.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And I used to say the same about LH as he started with a silver spoon in his mouth by starting with the best car on the grid. Yes he matched Alonso but that is easier in a good car.

But yes since then he has driven some not so good McLaren's and shown the ocassional good drives. I cannot remember all of Nico's drives but he gave MS decent opposition.

Both now are in a good car and showing they are very even.
    Pete

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I had a feeling but now I have proof.

19. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To be honest that is my line of thinking as well, now how much Ron D has to do with things and his relationship with Hamilton nowadays maybe another matter.

However if it pans out right, it could bring Mclaren right back into the thick of things at the pointy end, which since Hamilton left, I would imagine is really sorely needed.

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

This thread will descent like the other recent threads and statements of who did what will be repeated/disputed ad infinitum.

------

IMO It's pretty damn clear that Lewis needs a clear #2 driver as his teammate or he'll never be happy. He's had issues with Alonso, Button and now his former friend Rosberg. The only one he got on with was Kovalainen because he didn't give him a challenge.

He will NOT get this with Mercedes, as Rosberg is signed on for another 3 years. I have serious doubts that Lewis' contract will be extended because of this. This is all bad publicity for Mercedes who can't seem to keep 2 title contenders in their own team under control, including spouting untrue things that where discussed behind closed doors immediately out in public.

Will he be at Merc next year? Maybe. Will he be at Merc in 2016? I seriously doubt it.

A Button-Hamilton swap next year is not completely out of the question. Perhaps, if button does retire, Ham to McHonda and Alonso or Vettel will snatch the Mercedes opportunity.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Honda want a star driver and in Hamilton they'll have their wish.

22. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'd like to see Alonso and Hamilton at McLaren.

23. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Hamilton will be at Merc next year given his contract is for 2015 as well. Rosbergs contract expires end of 2016 only a year after hamiltons. If rosberg was considered a long term safe prospect by Merc then he would've probably got a 3 year deal like schumacher did.

I suspect hamilton will get signed for the long term and rosberg dropped after 2016 (right now the team seem very angry with him for his selfish actions at spa). As mentioned earlier in the thread, when other teams like ferrari and red bull become challengers again Merc are going to need lewis a lot more than they need nico given his wider skill set. In any event, by 2015-2016 the rivalry between the two will not be as intense given there will be other championship contenders.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Rosbergs new deal is 2015, 2016 and 2017, so I'm sure they fancy him as a long term prospect.

Hamilton indeed runs out next year. Not the first time contracts have been broken. Alonso was contracted for 3 years with Mclaren and he left just a year in.

25. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Source stating new deal is 3 seasons? Thought it was just two. Interesting.

I was thinking nico may sign with lotus. That way maldanado will be in good company and they can crash into eachother all they like without taking out the rest of the field with botched and inexperienced passing manouvres. Just a thought ;).