AUTOWEEK: Vettel & Newey McLaren/Honda 2015 | FerrariChat

AUTOWEEK: Vettel & Newey McLaren/Honda 2015

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It's more or less all over the place since yesterday; but frankly, I can't see Adrian Newey returning to Woking, especially since Ron D. is back at the helm. He has been linked with Ferrari also, and clearly stated that he wants to take his distances with Formula One.

Rgds

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Mclaren have also not given up on their quest to sign Alonso.

And...It's autoweek. Not really the most trust worthy F1 source.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    The silly season really is, well, the silly season!

Since when is Newey "disgruntled" with The Cans? And Seb also?

I'm with Nerofer here - I can't see Newey working for Ron again - Been there, done that. And I don't see any reason why KI would want to go there either.....

Cheers,
    Ian

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes, it seams the cans let him do what he wants so he doesn't become bored and leave the company.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Couple of points to consider:

1. Newey gets Honda backing to buy out investors from MB/ Arab banks - he then becomes part owner. that is why he left williams and Mclaren - no ownership. I belive he has stakes in RB.

2. Alonso wants big Huge $$$ to stay with Ferrari - get $$ to go to Honda. he's tired at Ferrari - i think its both ways. good driver but the motivaiton fund is going low.

3. Dennis wants to come back as a winner... will do anything to win... so cant rule any of this out.

In the end I think its more likely Alonso goes to McLaren as undisputed #1 with Magnussen. Button to Ferrari? or out to Lemans.

I would think that RB has Newey so tied up in red tape that he could not extricate himself in such a short period of time. but perhaps that is why he is away from design so he cant take any new info with him? I have to think both sides have flesh eating lawyers - just in case.

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I figured Vettel would be a good bet, but Newey? I can't see it happening. Prodromou is at mclaren now and he was Newey's right hand aero man so I guess anything is possible.

8. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    When Honda came to McLaren in 88, wasn't it Honda's wish to have Senna (or Senna had ties with McLaren and brought Honda in)?

Just wondering what driver's Honda want with McLaren, and would have to guess that the decision involves both Honda and McLaren.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    In the 80's Honda usually asked for a Japanese driver - Nakajima was the first. that was one of the reasons Williams lost Honda Engines to Lotus. they would not take Nakajima.

Senna had Honda engines at Lotus that is where they formed the connection. If you remember both Lotus and Mclaren had Honda turbo engines in 88... Senna just had the relationship with Honda.

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I doubt it. Adrian said a few weeks ago, he's pretty tired and done with F1 because of the restrictions, hence he's taking a step back.

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    McLaren is pursuing both Vettel and Alonso.

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    why would seb leave RB? they're the best of the rest at the moment and the best (merc) has no seats open for him or anyone else.

If he leaves, the only thing I can draw from that is he can't handle his rookie teammate outclassing him.

cry baby cry.

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Your post would apply to FA more with his retreat from LH at Mclaren. Vettel did face Webber and win 4 titles. Frankly he should move on just for the sake of experience. Vettel has nothing to be ashamed of at all with his career and results.

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Macca is desperate to get back to the front of the grid. They've got Honda locked and hope that there's an advantage to be had as their (temporarily) exclusive partner. They need drivers and a top flight designer and will cast their nets wherever there is even a hint of a signing. Newey is highly unlikely. Alonso somewhat unlikely.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I agree. The only thing that makes me wonder is the rumors of Ecclestone speaking to Vettel about it. Ultimately, if it's something Bernie wants, it will happen.

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    With Bernie you never know. He floats a lot of wild stuff. If it pans out he takes credit. If it flops he just gives an "don't you guys know a joke when you see it." smile.

IMHO Bernie's spending too much energy of this sort of little picture stuff recently. The bigger issues he doesn't (or can't) deal with.

17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

When there are no major issues apparent, why not just fine tune the little things like the driver market lol! :)

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I agree with that too.

He always has meddled, hasn't he?

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    No major issues?

One if us has been smoking something other than tobacco.
    ;)

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    He's always had his fun but there was a time when he could act in a comprehensive fashion.
    Those days have passed.
    But he's making noises about regaining financial control over F1 so who knows what may happen?

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You think so? Seems to me he remains 'the man'.... We may not like him or his motives, but it sure seems like he keeps on growing the sport to me....

Some teams may be 'hurting' financially, but that too has *always* been the case! Back in 'the good old days' Frank couldn't even pay his phone bill & Bernie bailed him out on more than one occasion....

It's hard. Long may that continue! ;)

Indeed. If he had an 'heir apparent', I could see it. It's not the girls. So unless he just wants to **** with folk (always possible with him of course!) I can't see why he'd really do that.....

Actually, thinking more, maybe that's exactly what he wants to do - may as well spend it that way as any other I guess!

Cheers,
    Ian

22. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I disagree. I think he wants to prove it wasn't just his car and he can do it anywhere.

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    His freedom to act is more constrained these days. In the past he could ride roughshod over the teams. Now MB and the other engine makers have a lot more to say about what is to be done.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I hear you, and to a limited degree agree.

However, the way he's got it set up now as long as he doesn't alienate everyone in the rules working group (can't quite remember what it's called at the moment), he can still get his way via a majority vote.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Like all political power it comes down to persuasion. He may be able to get a majority to back an action but if MB and Renault don't like it they have only to threaten to take their motors and go home and everyone will do as they want.
    We owe the current engine regs to just that sort of blackmail.