Talk Again About F1 In Greece | FerrariChat

Talk Again About F1 In Greece

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Greece could join Formula One schedule | Autoweek

Yes their economy sucks, and my cousin in Athens says the situation is not happy. Guess it depends who would be paying for this and their motives.

Many many years ago, I was paid to do a research study for a potential F1 race in Greece. The result was not a facility near Athens. And today that would bring on protests like they saw in Brazil for the World Cup.

The result overwhelmingly was to locate on a combination of private and government land in the city of Volos. Volos is considered a year 'round resort city. You can snow ski in the morning, and then lay on the beach in the afternoon. Airport, hotels, all checked out.

Sadly, I doubt this happens. Promised the wife an F1 event in Europe, and a visit to the relatives in Greece. And a long weekend in Santorini.

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    How have you been Ron? Hope all is well on your side.

Personally, i think it will be a disaster if they hosted the race, economic wise. Just google the images of the 2004 Olympics Village, and see what i mean. Granted, they're not the same thing, but will it attract crowd? How about maintenance?

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    If in the correct location, I doubt there would be an issue with the crowd. 90% would be form other countries than Greece. It is a really great place to visit from a tourist standpoint.

The event could be as good as any other, assuming the money was there to pay for everything.

But that is the key, the money. I doubt enough rich shipping magnets will cough up the money, they are into other activities than F1.

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    On a good note, instead of hot dogs and sodas at the food stations, they will be serving gyro and frape coffees :)

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Next Ecclestone will be promoting GPs in Damascus and Kiev ...

6. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I think Greece is in debt to the EU for about 100+ Billion as of now so I cannot see the Greek government being allowed to spend a nickel on this sure to be fiasco

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I tend to agree, but who knows for sure, it can get real hot there.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Hard to tell who would fund such a venture.

But it would be nice. Arrive on a Tuesday in Athens. Go out to the Plaka district until 5 in the morning Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Break plates every night, drink ouzo. Sleep all day Thursday. Friday practice, Saturday qualifications, Sunday race.

Catch a flight Monday night to Santorini, drink ouzo, eat baklava, more ouzo. Try to remember where that topless beach is located.

Try to relive the traditions of my ancestors, go to an orgy.