What time do you go to the track on race day | FerrariChat

What time do you go to the track on race day

Discussion in 'F1' started by malteser156, Aug 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. malteser156

malteser156 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014
    Hi all

It's my first time at an f1 race on sun 7th and I was wondering what time would be best to be there for the race. Any tips would be appreciated

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Would be helpful to know if you're in general admission, a grandstand or the Paddock Club (or similar). Also, how are you getting there? Others are more up to date, and I'm sure will chime in soon, but just getting in can be a PITA.... Or it used to be.

Unfortunately, they killed off the Sunday am warmup and I don't know what other support races they may have ahead of the race (Anyone know?)

Oh, and are you alone? With another petrol head? Kids? Or someone that will get bored easily? Any interest in going walkabout? (It's a fabulous place!) ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There will be plenty of support races...GP3, GP2, Porsche Supercup, then the F1 and sometimes a race after that as well (at Silverstone it was historics...I was leaving at this point as I assumed they'd be driving like a parade but then saw how hard these guys where racing I stayed. The noise alone was worth it).

I think GP3 race on sunday is at 9.15AM but you have to check your schedule. I have no idea how long it'll take you to get to the track but I would be there before this race starts.

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Good call Bas!.... Just grabbed this from Bernie's site;

Sunday 7th September
    Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 08:00 - 08:50
    GP3 Second Race (17 Laps or 30 Minutes) 09:25 - 10:00
    GP2 Second Race (21 Laps or 45 Minutes) 10:35 - 11:25
    Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup Race (14 Laps or 30 Minutes) 11:45 - 12:20
    Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 12:25 - 13:15
    Formula One Drivers Track Parade 12:30
    Formula One Starting Grid Presentation 12:45 - 13:15
    Formula One National Anthem 13:46
    Formula One Race 14:00

So, seems there's no historics (or anything :( ) afterwards.

Again, it kind of depends on how much of the other stuff you want to watch, and from where etc..... Bas is a fanatic as we know :))) - But generally the GP3 race is a lot of fun if you're into it.....

Cheers,
    Ian

5. malteser156

malteser156 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014
    Hi all thanks for your responses so we're 2 adults and we'll be in the prima variante. Our hotel is not far off but am still not sure if we're coming by car or get the bus it all depends on the parking available.and when you mentioned the walkabout would that be around the track sorry but I'm a bit clueless since its our first time and it's a surprise gift for the hubby so want to be prepared :)

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Depending how far it is, try and rent a bicycle or a moped or something if it's too far to walk. Getting into Monza is apparently nothing short of a nightmare.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Monza is very well organized. Whether by train/bus or by car you will find your seat without much loss of time. Buses park further away so expect a 20 min walk.

I have done both and recommend train with bus from train station. In fact that's what I'll do this year again :)

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    We departed the hotel in Milan around 8:00am and arrived at the circuit around 9:15-9:30AM. Traffic is bad but they have police keeping it moving to some extent and other roads blocked to prevent a terrible traffic situation. Give yourself 90 minutes from Milan.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Monza transport is pretty well organized, but it is crazy packed. the train coming from Milan will be FULL... like staning room only full.

same for bus.

I took a chopper in from Como couple of times - way better especaially on getting out... I know there are air shuttles from Milan -but not sure where. Used Prestige Hellicopters based in the UK. 300e each day.

Pit walk is only for Paddock club ticket holders. if that is you- They open the club at 7:30, well worth getting there by 7 - the security and check in process takes about 20 min... wrist bans etc...

Race day goes fast... and at Monza there is alot of stuff to see outside the paddock - so worth taking time to stroll the booths. there is a great book store right in the center of the track behind the main - old pits - english books etc.. .awsome place.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Similar time frame by train from Milan.

There are tons of things to check out at the track so I wouldn't leave too late regardless.

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I remember now, you asked about where to sit a while back. Excellent it's all coming together for you. He still doesn't know? You're good! ;)

If, as it sounds like, you're only going on Sunday, I too would recommend getting there early enough for the first race - according to the schedule at 9:25. Also worth noting that, somewhat surprisingly for Italy, it will run on schedule!

If you're also going Saturday, you could make the call as to if you're really bothered about watching the GP3/GP2 cars when you leave Saturday evening. "Hard core" fans love it all of course, but once you've seen the F1 guys in qualification, everything else is "slow" and may not be as appealing. If just Sunday, its certainly worth it as they (along with the Porsche Cup guys, which are always fun!) kind of give you a feeling for just how fast F1 cars are after experiencing the others.

As for walkabout, just getting a look at the old banking is something worth experiencing; the atmosphere of "the ghosts of drivers past" really is quite moving IMO. Not sure if you can actually get onto the banking on Sunday - there was a discussion here about that a while back, so I'm sure someone will comment soon.

You're staying in Milan IIRC? Is so, I think I too would recommend tifosi12's train/bus approach.

Have fun! And remember to come back here afterwards with some pix!.... The rule is, "pix or it didn't happen!" :)

Cheers,
    Ian

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No worries. My new chip will outlast the camera batteries

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Cool! :)

Hopefully you can get online all weekend so we can live vicariously through you!

Was also going to mention to Malteser that a little FM radio (?) with some earbuds is a good idea as even with the **** sound the PA is still difficult to hear, correct?

Cheers,
    Ian

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sorry no, I'll be off the grid as my cell won't work in Europe.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just get there as early as possible...but that's just how I am. I like the quiet in the a.m. and then the buildup. I do't like to miss much. Also, Early in the morning, traffic is usually MUCH better (pretty much nonexistent in Austin).

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #16 Fast_ian, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    :(

Pretty much what we used to do at Silverstone with GA tickets. Go in pretty much under cover of darkness as soon as the gates opened. Set up camp then go walkabout and see the vendors opening up & the teams arriving. Best bacon sandwiches in history. Go check out the bookstalls etc. Watch the crowds arrive & the atmosphere build. Have another breakfast.

Brands was even better as we'd sneak in over the fence out in the country. Few things more satisfying than sticking it to the man!

But we were young back then! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

I grew up in Zandvoort and was there every day after school on my bike...when I got my quad I made some very cool tracks in the dunes (there was a small quad track used by the experience company based there, but I made mine so much bigger and better! Then me and my friends used to time each other on phones to see who would go fastest. Every day...rain or shine!) and I knew all the ins and outs of the tracks and how to get to the best locations. I had a season ticket too, but sometimes sneaking in was just better.

Sometimes I go on google earth and look at how my old track went. They closed it up with barriers before I left (although I used an old advertising board to simply jump over their barriers) so now my track is history :(. If you're familiar with the track, it was on the dunes on the inside of the final 2 corners.

Excuse me whilst I shed a tear.

:(

18. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Always was working, there at sparrow's fart, then after race parties at most tracks. When we traveled FOCA planes in Europe, we'd leave at the chequer to make the plane, then watch the race on the Beeb that night!

Last few in Indy, left my house at 11:30, was home by 4:30/4:45. Loved it. Can still do that for MotoGP. The rest Sky streaming takes care of......

19. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Had fun at the real Zandvoort, and the real Clermont, Kyalami, Oostereichring and Nurburgring, now why did you have to upset me Bas?

20. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    and out!

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Ahh, Zandvoort.

****ing sand and wind! ;)

Remember getting there early one morning and the wind had twisted a bunch of team awnings everywhere. Ours was OK, so we spent a few hours helping the other guys bend, cut & weld theirs back into shape before we started work on the cars.

Only place worse was Croft up in Scotland - the ****ing toilets were tents, and they literally disappeared overnight one time - the girls were *pissed*!.....

The good old days(?).....

Cheers,
    Ian

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    PS - apologies to the OP for the hijack!.... Seems we've turned this into a bunch of old geezers reminiscing!

Cheers,
    Ian

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I was a baby when the real zandvoort got destroyed but experienced the build to how it is now.

Yup, that's Zandvoort! Sand and ****ing wind!

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not all of us are old! :D

But yes...we did kind of hijack!

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I shall try to post something from WiFi in the hotel. Since I shoot on DSLR it isn't easy to share directly anyhow. So I'll post my pics on here later when I'm back and nobody cares about the Monza GP anymore. :)

Just got new glass for the trip. All set now.